Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Day Trips from San Francisco (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/day-trips-from-san-francisco-291062/)

RichinPA Jan 24th, 2008 05:31 AM

Day Trips from San Francisco

We will be in SF March 8th through 15th.

We are looking for one, possibly two day trips to Muir Woods and Wine Country. We will have rental car for the full week.

Can Muir Woods and Wine Country be done in one trip, or is there something else to combine with Muir Woods one day and then do Wine Country as separate day trip?

What part of Wine Country would be best to see in one day, just to get a feel for the area and visit just a few wineries? Do we need reservations to get into any wineries.

Thanks for any tips

R_Mondavi Jan 24th, 2008 07:57 AM

For tasting the best reds come to Napa Valley.

janisj Jan 24th, 2008 08:03 AM

It sounds like you are spending almost all of your time in San Francisco w/ just the 1 or 2 day trips. If so, is there some reason you need a car? It might be better to do 1 or 2 daily rentals. Do you have a place to park the car in SF?

If it were me I'd do Muir Woods and the Marin coast on one day and the Wine Country a different day.

Sonoma County would 100% be my choice for your Wine Country day. Better scenery, and more wine regions, and just nicer all around.

beth_fitz Jan 24th, 2008 10:36 AM

I agree with janisj on Sonoma County for wine tasting and the scenery.

dfr4848 Jan 24th, 2008 10:47 AM

Just to add another vote for Sonoma for the wine tours and another day for Muir Woods etc. We visit friends in Marin County and find this split of time works very well. As to your other question, we've not had to make reservations to make the tours (but we avoid weekends too). Though if there are specific wineries you definitely want to see, I'd double check with them.

dovima Jan 24th, 2008 11:02 AM

I'd combine the Muir Woods visit with a drive to Point Reyes. That should take up most of a day. It would leave you time to stop at Stinson Beach and maybe drive over Mt. Tam on the way back. You could stop in Sausalito enroute, either way.

kleroux Jan 24th, 2008 04:30 PM

Driving from the Golden Gate bridge, North on Hwy #101 to the Sonoma County area... the town of Healdsburg..is about 1.5 hrs. So you can easily drive to Hbg, tour the entire area and drive back to the city...before or after dinner. Wine areas would be the Russian River, Alexander Valley, Dry Creek. In town are lovely restaurants, shops and more wine tasting.

RichinPA Jan 25th, 2008 08:31 AM

Thanks to all for your helpful tips.

I think we have decided to use two days and plit tha areas up.

J_Correa Jan 25th, 2008 09:56 AM

I think 2 days is a good choice - and Muir Woods and Point Reyes makes a nice combo for 1 day. We've done that a couple times.

DebitNM Jan 25th, 2008 10:19 AM

Can I piggyback off this post?

We will be in SF for a conference in just about the same time and Rich. we have a bit more time and think we would prefer to stay overnight rather than do day trips and heading back to SF for the night.

We will have Tuesday morning through Friday noon when we fly out of SFO free to travel. So we are looking how to best spend those 3 days and where to stay those 3 nights.

We would most likely prefer 2 nights south of SF and 1 night in wine country.

Is it better to get to SFO for a Noon flight on Friday from one of these places over the other? Is it more practical to go from Wine Country to SFO or to go from Monterey area to SFO on the morning of our flight?

Also, can you recommend places to stay the one night in Wine country [Sonoma seems to be the town of choice on this thread] and restaurant for dinner. We are looking for 4 -5 star hotel or inn and really good restaurant.

I would also appreciate suggestions on the drive south; the route, stops and where to stay. It can be different place each night or the same. Again, looking for 4 -5 star hotel or inn and restaurant recommendations based on route.

Thanks all for suggestions.
Deb

Grassshopper Jan 25th, 2008 11:29 AM

My favorite (long) daytrip to take visitors on (and an overnight in Healdsburg would be preferred) is as follows:

From SF, head north. After you cross the GG Bridge, take the Sausalito exit and curve back around under the highway and up to the Marin Headlands for a unique and amazing view of SF. Then go down into Sausalito for a drive through and maybe stop for coffee and gaze at the views.

Continue north to Healdsburg and have lunch at one of the great bistro restaurants there. Walk around the Square and window shop. Back in the car and choose two or three of the small wineries in the area to visit. www.wineroad.com will give you an idea of all your options. My preference is to take Westside Road and stop at Hop Kiln and Davis Bynum. This route will take you to River Road and along the Russian River. Stop at Korbel to view the beautiful grounds and taste some sparkling wines. Then continue on into Guerneville. When you get to Guerneville, turn right to Armstrong Redwoods. You'll find fine old grove of of some of the tallest redwoods in the state and a very peaceful setting.

Continue out to the coast and go north to Bodega Bay. Stop at the Lucas Wharf restaurant for their excellent calamari or other seafood. You'll go back to SF through some beautiful farmlands. At this time of year you're likely to see baby lambs and the mustard will be covering the hills with bright yellow. You'll go through Sebastapol and back to 101 and home to SF.

Like I said, it's a long day, but you will surely see the amazing diversity of Sonoma County.

Grassshopper Jan 25th, 2008 11:30 AM

My favorite (long) daytrip to take visitors on (and an overnight in Healdsburg would be preferred) is as follows:

From SF, head north. After you cross the GG Bridge, take the Sausalito exit and curve back around under the highway and up to the Marin Headlands for a unique and amazing view of SF. Then go down into Sausalito for a drive through and maybe stop for coffee and gaze at the views.

Continue north to Healdsburg and have lunch at one of the great bistro restaurants there. Walk around the Square and window shop. Back in the car and choose two or three of the small wineries in the area to visit. www.wineroad.com will give you an idea of all your options. My preference is to take Westside Road and stop at Hop Kiln and Davis Bynum. This route will take you to River Road and along the Russian River. Stop at Korbel to view the beautiful grounds and taste some sparkling wines. Then continue on into Guerneville. When you get to Guerneville, turn right to Armstrong Redwoods. You'll find a fine old grove of some of the tallest redwoods in the state and a very peaceful setting.

Continue out to the coast and go north to Bodega Bay. Stop at the Lucas Wharf restaurant for their excellent calamari or other seafood. You'll go back to SF through some beautiful farmlands. At this time of year you're likely to see baby lambs and the mustard will be covering the hills with bright yellow. You'll go through Sebastapol and back to 101 and home to SF.

Like I said, it's a long day, but you will surely see the amazing diversity of Sonoma County.

Grassshopper Jan 25th, 2008 11:30 AM

Dang, that back up edit thing didn't work for me. :-(

janisj Jan 25th, 2008 12:07 PM

Grasshopper - it may not be you. Fodors has been tweaking w/ the software to try to prevent some weird things happening over in the Lounge - like phantom posts and disappearing ones

DebitNM Jan 25th, 2008 12:40 PM

when editing - after using your back arrow to get back to the post a reply box with original content:
click on EDIT, correct your reply, then you MUST click on PREVIEW my reply and then POST my reply to not get a double post.
If you do edit, and then post, you get a second post -- not an edited one. Got use that preview link!
Deb

DebitNM Jan 25th, 2008 12:40 PM

I got this all wrong. Hoepfully edit will work
Deb

DebitNM Jan 25th, 2008 12:42 PM

errrrrrr

janisj Jan 25th, 2008 01:15 PM

Like is said - they may be tweaking the software. Some mischief has been going on and the s**t really hit the fan w/ some phantom threads/posts w/ really vile titles over in the lounge.

R_Mondavi Jan 26th, 2008 12:31 AM

In downtown Sonoma try http://www.macarthurplace.com/ also two great restaurants are Cafe La Haye and Girl & the Fig.

RichinPA Jan 26th, 2008 01:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. We are counting the days.

14 degrees today in Northeast Pa.