Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Day trip toWine country from Oakland (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/day-trip-towine-country-from-oakland-708919/)

bokill May 29th, 2007 01:01 PM

Day trip toWine country from Oakland

Is it possible to do a day trip from Oakland to Wine country? We are looking for scenary more so than wine tasting...

If so what is the suggested route?

Thanks

iamq May 29th, 2007 01:58 PM

Yes, it makes a nice day trip.

To get to Napa Valley and/or Sonoma take 80 north to 37 (just past Vallejo). If you want to head up to Napa Valley you split off of 37 on 29 to the right (watch the signs!) and stay on that all the way up. If you want to go to Sonoma, stay on 37 and take a right on 121 north towards Sonoma, into Sonoma and beyond.

LLindaC May 29th, 2007 02:01 PM

For great scenery, head to Sonoma. You'll spend too much time in Napa behind cars.

Otis_B_Driftwood May 29th, 2007 02:10 PM

For great scenery, head up to Napa and continue on to Oakville via Hwy 29. Maybe stop in Yountville for a tour at Domaine Chandon and have a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants.

Then, take the Oakville/Trinity grade over to Glen Ellen. There are great views of both valleys from this route. Stop at Chateau St. Jean or Benzinger for some tasting and then head for Sonoma and some shopping on the Square.

elnap29 May 29th, 2007 04:04 PM

It's all good, bokill. It is a simple day trip. If you decide on Napa Valley, you will get the idea in a shorter span of driving as Napa Valley is not that big.
(Note to LLindaC: I wish you would end the negative remarks about Napa traffic. I disagree as I live here and drive all of these roads frequently. Quite frankly, weekend of May 19 the traffic was horrid in Sonoma Valley (hwy 12)and often is worse on hwy 101. Yet Memorial Day Weekend, Napa Valley driving was a breeze).

If you decide to head to Sonoma Valley, the town of Sonoma is quaint and the area lovely. Wineries are spread over a larger area. I think Otis gave a great suggestion.

JayZee May 29th, 2007 07:31 PM

I agree with Otis, taking the Trinity grade is a scenic trip from Napa valley & driving south on Valley of the Moon (Hwy 12) back towards Vallejo & Hwy 80 to Oakland.

Easily doable in a day trip w/a stop in Glen Ellen or Sonoma for a late lunch.

TTess May 29th, 2007 08:46 PM

Take 80 north to 37 and head to Napa. You ought to look at the Silverado Trail...fantastic!

bokill May 30th, 2007 04:21 AM

Thanks so much for all the responses. This is very helpful.

We are in SF on a Fri Sat and Sunday next week.. Any particular day better from a traffic or any other perspective?

TTess May 30th, 2007 07:28 AM

I thought you were in Oakland.

bokill May 30th, 2007 07:39 AM

thats where we are staying but San Francisco and Napa are our tourist destinations...

LLindaC May 30th, 2007 10:27 AM

Note to LLindaC to stop talking about the traffic. Right. It took us 50 minutes to get from Calistoga to Opus One. This was on a Thursday in early April. Bumber to bumber on St Helena Highway, as usual. Semi trucks. Traffic lights. Sure, there are other routes in napa that are less traveled, but the main drag can be a headache about amy time.

Otis_B_Driftwood May 30th, 2007 12:03 PM

Yes, that "bumber to bumber" traffic around St. Helena can be a real bummer. It's best to avoid it by taking the Silverado Trail.

Generally, the traffic moves swiftly below Oakville and Rutherford on Hwy 29 even on weekends. Traffic on the Oakville/Trinity grade would be minimal. By the way, The SF Chronicle had an article on driving the Trinity Grade in yesterday's paper. See:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DG81Q1TLV1.DTL

Bokill, I'd do the trip on Friday. Weekend traffic is much heavier in the tourist areas and you would be going against the traffic on your way home Friday afternoon/evening.

Also, there are two major events that weekend. The Napa Valley Wine Auction and the Harmony Festival in Santa Rosa. These should not interfere with your scenic drive but they do impact lodging in the area that weekend.

JayZee May 30th, 2007 02:53 PM

Hmmm, here we are again talking about "bumber to bumber" traffic. Need to find out what that means????

kleroux May 30th, 2007 02:56 PM

Do NOT consider driving from SF to the wine country any time on Friday afternoon!! However, when you do drive North, I would suggest crossing the Golden Gate bridge and following hwy #101 North to Healdsburg. That's about 1.5 hrs North of SF (Except on Friday afternoon when its about 2.5 hrs). This is prime Sonoma County wine country. You can explore Sonoma county and then cross over into Napa if you want, at a number of places..and take Napa Valley south back to SF.

Shanghainese May 30th, 2007 04:15 PM

Otis and JayZee: For the Trinity grade, is there a difference which way to drive, Oakville to Glen Ellen, or the other way around mainly for the views? Thanks!

JayZee May 30th, 2007 04:25 PM

My personal preference is Glen Ellen to Oakville late on a fall day as the sun is setting. Then heading south to Yountville for dinner at Bouchon.

Shanghainese May 31st, 2007 10:55 AM

Thanks, JayZee, we will plan that!