Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Day trip to Monterey (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/day-trip-to-monterey-715523/)

kodi Jun 23rd, 2007 05:37 PM

Day trip to Monterey

We will be spending a week in SF and I'm thinking of doing a day trip to Monterey.
I'm not sure if we should do a tour or not.
Could we take public transit from downtown SF and wander around Monterey on our own with out a car? I really don't want to rent a car. I want to be able to fully enjoy the scenery on the way down.

trippinkpj Jun 23rd, 2007 05:46 PM

I think there was a post earlier this year on that subject. My guess is public transit will take you close to 3 1/2 - 4 hours each way, making for a long day. Check greyhound.com from probably the fastest solution.

trippinkpj Jun 23rd, 2007 05:50 PM

Greyhound does have some express trips about 2 1/2 hours per their schedules. So worth checking out. You then would need to take public transit in Monterey to get around.

cabovacation Jun 23rd, 2007 07:35 PM

Really, the drive is not difficult at all. You would be able to enjoy the scenery and certainly be able to stop along the way, and then you would have a car to get around with. I think renting a car is not a bad idea at all.

kodi Jun 23rd, 2007 07:53 PM

I missed the earlier post.. I'll have to look for it.

I love driving, and have no hesitation with renting a car. But I wanted to fully enjoy the scenery. I've heard it's beautiful and that is just about as important as being in Monterey.
It's the rugged seascapes from Highway 1 that I want to see. Perhaps I'm off base on the best day trip from SF to see the coastline.
Thinking about it, the bus probably isn't the way to go.

TrvlMaven Jun 23rd, 2007 09:51 PM

Rent the car--drive directly to Monterey and visit the sights. Drive home via Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay then east to the airport and drop the car. Use BART/public trans to return to hotel. Best use of $$ and time.

kodi Jun 24th, 2007 10:27 AM

Thank you TrvlMaven.
Looks like renting a car will be the best option.
Is it better to rent at the airport, and use the BART?
Wouldn't it be more convenient to rent a car downtown near our hotel? Or is there a reason not to?
Driving in the city or in heavy traffic doesn't bother me.

How much time should I allow coming back?
It would be great to get back to Half Moon Bay ( I'll have to look that up) in time to see the sun set.

TrvlMaven Jun 24th, 2007 10:44 AM

Do you have an early/morning departure flight? If so, I would rent the car in the City and use it at the end of your SF stay to go to Monterey. Spend the night in Monterey, then drive back via Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay. Take Hwy 92 east to 101 and then north to the airport. Drop the car, take the Airtrain back to the airport and pick up the shuttle to your airport hotel. I've gotten airport hotels for as little as $65/night at the Hyatt Regency when I have a very early flight out.

kodi Jun 24th, 2007 10:57 AM

Thank you.
I had not thought of staying the night in Monterey. ..or at an airport hotel. BUt it sounds like a good plan.
I haven't booked our flight yet, but it will probably be late morning. So your plan would still be good.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

trippinkpj Jun 24th, 2007 01:09 PM

Oh fyi, the greyhound bus goes 101 most of the way to Monterey I think. So not the scenic route, :-)