day trip to martha's vineyard from newport or boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always though it was way more near from Newport, but someone has just told me it was almost the same distance...
I've also found out there are TWO ferries: one faster than the other. Where do we get the fast one??
We are spending 2 days in newport and I intended to see Newport, Capecod and Martha's Vineyard in those 2 days, maybe it's too much...
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Way to0 much...2 days is enough to see and enjoy Newport....save the other destinations for another trip!
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Agree. Stay in Newport. You would spend your whole trip in a car and not being able to enjoy anything. The Cape / MV would be a seperate trip to make it more enjoyable.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 05:11 AM

You need the full two days in Newport.

Besides, you could never see the Cape and MV in one day - absolutely impossible. You could do a day trip to either, but it would be rushed and jammed in

There is so much to see in Newport, take the two days

While all three spots are different, there are also similarities in region - you will still also see many things you would see on the Cape and MV ( coast, ocean, harbor with docks and boats, beach) in Newport -

It would be a shame to be in Newport and not see at least two mansions (maybe even three) - go to the website and read about them so you can choose beforehand - the opulence of the Marble House, RoseCliff ( modeled after the Petite Trianon) , the gardens of the Elms -the history of Astors Beechwood - they all have different treasures -

Also Ocean Drive/Ten Mile Drive, Easton's Beach, the Cliff Walk, Truoro Synagogue, the Newport Art Museum, time to stroll the harbor wharfs and shops, time to enjoy sunset at Castle HIll perhaps, maybe even a sail around Newport Harbor during the day or for sunset, the International Tennis Hall of Fame, beautiful building, with the gorgeous horseshoe, old croquet court and museum - and that's not all -

so you definitely need two days in my opinion

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

what about doing a day trip to capecod from boston?? and leave the 2 days in newport to see newport and "maybe" visit martha's vineyard
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Carlota: I am getting confused about exactly how many dates you have between Boston, etc -

I think if you are going to enjoy Newport, you need two days -

I think you can do a day trip to the Cape, but I would ask what is it you want to see on the Cape first -
because you may find it closer to Boston -

are you looking for seashore, ocean beaches, hiking:
or quaint shops, museums...what exactly -

because if I remember you are coming end of April into maybe first week of May - and there will still be things closed on the Cape -

How many are you? Why am I thinking you are 8 or 10 people? Would you hire a private tour company to do a bus tour?

Look for info at co's like Brush Hill Tours
www.brushhilltours.com

they may do it for you and also provide an interpreter, which I think you asked about on another thread -

I have no idea how costly this will be- but you could ask -
other wise, you are talking about renting several cars, or all going on a public bus using their schedule -
and then only going to an area where you can walk - public transportation is not everywhere on the Cape, it is spotty, and particularly so out of season.

You will see coast, beach and harbors in Newport -

So, what exactly do you want to see would be my first question - what is your interest on the Cape - and then options for getting there and if it makes sense -

it can be at least a 2-3 hour car ride from Boston depending on what part of the Cape you want to visit - and the same for a return... all things to think about
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

sorry for the delay in the answer...

we arrive to boston friday stay there until tuesday. Tuesday and Wednesday we sleep in Newport. We go back to boston on Thursday, sleep there Thursday and Friday and leave on Saturday...
that's why it's sooo0oo caotic...

first option:I don't know if it's better to get someone from Boston to take us to newport and show us all there is to see in the area:newport, capecod...

or do it the other way around: get someone from newport who picks us up in Boston and shows us their local things...

or a 3erd option: get a tour in boston-hire a van to get to newport-and then hire a tour of the area...

someone told me there are 2 very nice places: mystic and seeport: are they far??

thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Its Mystic Seaport. I don't think you have time for it. Spend the 2 days in Newport. You do not have time to go to Mystic.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM

I don't think there are any regular tours that would pick you up in Boston and drop you off in Newport (or vice versa) -- they tend to be round-trip daytrip sort of things.

How about this:

Stay in Boston, take a Duck Tour or walk the Freedom Trail, whatever.

Hire a van, drive to Newport. Take a tour of Newport one day, and do more exploring on the next.

On your return to Boston, take your van and make an all-day tour of the area, instead of the 90 minutes it would take driving directly to Boston. Depending on what you want to see, you could probably fit in two destinations, one in morning and one in afternoon: go to Mystic Seaport/Old Sturbridge Village (heading west) ; or go to Falmouth and Plymouth/Plimouth Plantation (heading east). Then finish up late in Boston.

You could charter a van with a driver if you wanted to, but it would be expensive.

You can take a day-trip to Provincetown (on the Cape) from Boston, using the fast ferry (90 minutes).

But the rest of the Cape, and MV, are too far for daytrips, IMHO.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Carlota: Happy to give you some suggestions about getting to Newport and back from Boston and sight seeing, but first a few questions:

Are you still a party of ten?

is it still that no one in your party is comfortable driving in the states? Or would one or two of you drive?

If you are still ten and no one wants to drive a van - then I would say a bus to Newport and then hire a tour person if you want for one day in Newport to drive you to some spots and one day on your own doing mansions, etc -

Again, I don't know what it is you want to see elsewhere, that would help determine where to send you.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it taking a day away from Newport to drive around the Cape -

As far as Mystic Seaport, unless your party has an avid interest in what it offers, history/sailing/ships/etc - (look on their web site) then I don't think that is worth the diversion either -

Unless you were going to drive yourselves, say in two vans, and do a loop for longer than two days

From what you say:

we arrive to boston friday stay there until tuesday.
( Friday is an arrival day/get settled/jet lag so really you will do something light that day and dinner -
have all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday to choose your best sights to do: one day an interpreter/tour if you like, on this thread and several others of yours I and others gave you some people/sites to contact regarding that-

as well as the concierge where you are staying at the Taj - who should be able to assist.

Tuesday and Wednesday we sleep in Newport.

And you need two days in Newport - if you leave after breakfast on Tuesday you will have most of Tuesday in Newport and all of Wednesday - and you will need it to do it justice -

We go back to boston on Thursday, sleep there Thursday and Friday and leave on Saturday..

This gives you another 1 1/2 days in Boston - to take a look at what you missed and want to fit in

then you are off.

I would leave it at that

Unless, you want a limousine service that has vans to transport your party to Newport instead of a public bus, and you can certainly do that, although it will be a price, I am sure the Taj has many such services available thru the concierge

Perhaps someone like Brush Hill, which I mentioned above, will do a private tour - again, the concierge should know of someone who does smaller private tour - there are groups that do that and may be one with an available interpreter - but you will need to give the concierge some notice -

I would email/ or fax the Taj concierge asap and see what his thoughts are