Day trip from St Helena - Redwoods? Coast?

Jun 25th, 2019, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Day trip from St Helena - Redwoods? Coast?

Which would you do?

1) drive the 3.5-4 hours to Humboldt Redwood state park and Avenue of the Giants? Figure we leave by 8am, get there by noon, have 5-6 hours then home easily by 10pm.

2) Armstrong Redwoods, 1 hour drive, then onto Bodega Bay and see the coastline

Let me say, we don't mind driving, and assume it is a pretty drive. We have seen Carmel and a good bit of gorgeous California coastline, and really want to be WOWED by the redwoods. Something neither of us has ever seen. Concerned that Armstrong isn't as impressive as Humboldt and Avenue of the Giants, but never been to any. FYI, we are flying in and out of SFO (husband has meeting there), and know Muir Woods and driving the coastline from St Helena to SFO (late return flight) is another opportunity.

I appreciate any input! thanks.
Jun 25th, 2019, 07:36 AM

I would not miss the chance to see the Humboldt redwoods. Head north to the Avenue of the Giants, visit (at least) the Founders Grove/trail, then continue on for a late lunch at the pretty village of Ferndale, with its fab Victorian buildings. Then back; you could stop again along the Avenue of the Giants, or if time is REALLY in your favor, divert down CA 1 to Mendocino, then back through the hills to US 101 and St. Helena. I would only do the latter if you have LOTS of daylight left; it's slow going on CA 1 and the road through the coast mountains. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/ZBpsGq1T9GEA6Uc46
Jun 25th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

that's kind of what I thought, Gardyloo. It is something Ive thought of since I was a kid. You think it will be packed? Looking at one day in the week of 7/1-7/5. thanks.
Jun 25th, 2019, 08:32 AM

>>You think it will be packed?<<

You mean crowded? Not a chance, They are not like Muir Wood which gets totally slammed. The 'real' redwood parks up north are not in a humongous metropolitan region, and are much larger - you be alone in a lot of places.
Jun 25th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

super! thanks. saw info on the lost coast scenic drive, may be more than we can handle that day but looks great!! xoxo
Jun 25th, 2019, 09:51 AM

Nope -- Lost Coast isn't doable as a day trip. It would be 10+ hour drive St Helena > Ave of the Giants > Ferndale > Lost Coast > Petrolia > St Helena without any stops. Even just from St Helena > a drive along the Avenue of the Giants and back to St Helena with NOTHING else would be 7 hours car time.