Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Day Trip From Los Angeles in October - Where should we go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/day-trip-from-los-angeles-in-october-where-should-we-go-801565/)

Jess_M Aug 17th, 2009 10:41 AM

Day Trip From Los Angeles in October - Where should we go?

Some friends and I are planning a short trip to LA in early October to visit a friend who lives there and has a car. We're thinking about getting out of the city on Saturday, and taking a mini road trip somewhere along the coast. I've been reading up on the Channel Islands in our National Parks of the West book, and that looks like a good possible destination!

Does anyone have any favorite day trips from LA? We're open to spending the night somewhere, though we're trying to keep our costs low.

Thanks!

montereybob Aug 17th, 2009 11:00 AM

It will help if you tell us what kind of things you like to do.

Jess_M Aug 17th, 2009 11:21 AM

We're open to anything really, though I'd prefer to head to the coast vs. inland. I'm really interested in photography, so somewhere with some good scenery would be great! Otherwise we'd love anything from just driving around and taking in views/exploring little towns, to easy hiking or any outdoors activity, pretty beaches or ones with good surfing (to watch, not partake in), boat trips, or wildlife spotting, etc.

lol2g Aug 17th, 2009 11:41 AM

We love La Jolla as well as Santa Barbara.

patsy120 Aug 17th, 2009 11:58 AM

Up or down the coast is a good choice but I'd definitely count on spending the night. It's too far to travel otherwise. It takes awhile just to get out of the Los Angeles area. Laguna Beach is a nice choice that isn't too far away.

montereybob Aug 17th, 2009 03:00 PM

If you have one night to spend away on your road trip, a drive up the coast to Big Sur will give you many spectacular scenic opportunities for photos. If you don't have that much time, then a drive to Santa Barbara and Solvang would be fun.

If you want something even closer, it's fun to see the quaint seaside towns of Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Hermosa Beach. A little farther south are the other fun beach towns of Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, and Laguna Beach.

What about Disneyland!?

Gardyloo Aug 17th, 2009 03:17 PM

If you indicate where in "LA" your friend lives, it will be easier to make suggestions. It can be an hour or more just transiting the city to get out of the city.

Options would include the coast to the north - Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez Valley wineries (Oct. is harvest season), Pismo Beach... anywhere from 2 to 4 hours from LA depending on where...

Coast to the south - Laguna Beach, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, La Jolla/San Diego.... likewise 2-4 hours depending.

Catalina island - high speed (90 min.) ferries from various places.

nanabee Aug 17th, 2009 03:24 PM

Jess:

I think I'd drive up the coast to Santa Barbara for the day. The drive down to SD is not very scenic and since you will be in the car for a couple of hours either way why not chose the prettier drive?

zoecat Aug 17th, 2009 04:38 PM

Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach or Catalina Island are my suggestions. Catalina Island is very different from LA and a nice place to spend a night.

ksucat Aug 17th, 2009 05:01 PM

Love going to Avalon..jazzfest is usually the first week in October..its a huge, fun event..stay the night.
Take the Catalina Express over from Long Beach.
La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara are great alternatives too.

lol..just saw your post zoecat!

Jess_M Aug 18th, 2009 07:37 AM

Thanks everyone! This is giving me a lot to think about! My friend lives in Beverly Hills - I've only been to Los Angeles once so I'm not sure what that means in terms of location/traffic, though when I was there it seemed like traffic was pretty unavoidable.

dbdurand Aug 18th, 2009 08:44 AM

That settles it! Take Sunset Blvd. to the ocean and then head up the coast to the north as Gardyloo suggested. Post back if you want more details on the route.

ktspiv4 Aug 18th, 2009 02:33 PM

If I had only one day in LA I would take the time 1.5 hr drive from Beverly Hills & head straight to Santa Barbara. It is beautiful in Sept. great food, tons to do. A Segway tour is amazing & super fun. Great places to eat: The Palace Grill, Tupelo Junction for the best ever bloody mary's I have ever had or go have high tea at Four Season Biltmore.

divineMissM Aug 18th, 2009 03:37 PM

Sat traffic shouldn't be bad. Get up early and head up the coast, breakfast in Summerland south of Santa Barbara at the OmeletteParlor/BeachCafe and then keep going up to the Santa ynez Valley/ Los Olivos. Too pretty up there in October to miss! Late in the afternoon head back down to Santa Barbara, have a casual dinner on the Wharf at SB Seafood, then if time allows take the trolley up and down State Street. You'll have about a 90 min drive back to Beverly Hills.

MelissaMorgan Aug 18th, 2009 11:16 PM

I'm with Gardyloo. I'd take Sunset Blvd down to PCH. Beautiful windy drive. Then, I'd head north on PCH, stopping in Malibu for some food. If you want an ocean view (and why wouldn't you, really?), I'd stop at Paradise Cove. It's literally in the sand in a quiet cove with a rickety old pier. Parking is free for a few hours with a validation. If the weather is nice, maybe some fish sandwiches at Malibu Seafood (on the hill side of PCH with picnic benches out front). Then, I'd continue up PCH and take it until it turns into the 101 in Oxnard. I'd go to the Santa Barbara Mission (I'm not a christian but I love it. So pretty and peaceful and a bit of California history) Then I'd hit State Street in downtown Santa Barbara for a little shopping and dinner. Would definitely just take the freeway back. Should take about 90 minutes. Let us know what you decide! Happy Travels!