Day trip around the Florida panhandle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, my girlfriend and I are looking to take a day trip from Niceville, just ten minutes from Destin, to somewhere. And that's all I know. Cheaper is nice, but we don't have any set budget. Out of state is fine, in state is fine, just something fun that we can leave in the morning and be back home that night. Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Give us some ideas of what you are looking for? Going to your Walmart and the new one on 98 could be fun???? Or visit Bass Pro Shops. Do you want to be inside or outside?
Tallahassee. Scalloping at Port St. Joe. Grayton Beach or one of the many parks around could all be day trips. How about some guidance on what you like and the suggestions will roll in. Good luck.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Agree that you'll get better answers if people have an idea of what you like to do.

To the west you have the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola (free entry, although the IMAX and some other things inside have a fee). If you happen to be there on a Tuesday morning, you might get to see the Navy's flying team, The Blue Angels, practice.

Before you get to Pensacola, just across the bridge from U.S. 98 - which runs through Destin - you have Santa Rosa Island. Nice drive along the Gulf from Navarre Beach (on the east end of the Island) to Ft. Pickens in the National Seashore on the west end. Fee to get into the Seashore.

That's just a couple of the things to do over my way.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Ditto the above responses; would also suggest Apalachicola, but that depends on what you enjoy.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Does scalloping in St Joe Bay sound interesting? It's what I'd do right now for a day trip. If not, then how about just renting a pontoon boat and enjoying time on the water in the Bay?

I've done a freshwater kayak trip with friends on a river near St George Island, but I don't know the name of the river.

Another idea is to head over to Indian Pass and eat at the Raw Bar and then spend some time at the beach at Cape San Blas or wander the little town of Apalachicola (as Barbara recommends).
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You could drive up to Montgomery and visit the Civil Rights Museum/Memorials -

http://www.suite101.com/content/civi...mery-al-a80529
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Right, sorry about that. Well I think we've settled on the not too distant destination of Pensacola on Friday August 5th. We really enjoy all kinds of art, from theater to dance to art galleries. Quirky and different shops and restaurants are always fun as well. We're both dancers so I think we'll end the night with a little swing dancing at Pensacola Swing. Thanks again
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Lots of art galleries in Pensacola. Everything from traditional to funky. Artel Gallery at 223 Palafox Place prides themselves on having the edgiest art. Diagonally across the park from them, to the SE, is Quayside a large co-op gallery with a variety of art. Blue Morning Gallery, another artist run co-op, is also on Palafox. As well as some smaller places and some interesting shops.

Tons of good places to eat. Just depends on the type of food you want.

If I can help in any way, just ask.

Enjoy my "hometown."

Fran (across the bay on Pensacola Beach)