Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Day/ Overnight trip to Grand Caynon from Las Vegas - Help Needed!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a 6-day trip to Las Vegas and LA, we are planning to spend a little time in the Las Vegas strip and do a Grand Caynon day trip, then we'll drive to Anaheim for 1-day of Disney and move forward to Santa Monica for 2 days.

We have two nights in Las Vegas. This is our 2nd time to Las Vegas, and not being a fan of gambling, having 1 day on the strip is good enough for us, which would be relaxing in our hotel, have a gourment dinner and take a walk along the strip (we even missed out most of the "free shows" last time, like the fountain dance!).

We also missed out Grand Canyon last time, and we really want to take a day trip there. At first, I was planning to join a day-tour which I found out to be 11 - 17 hours in length.

I will have a rental car and I wonder if I can drive to Grand Caynon instead?
My flight will arrive at LAS mid-morning, if I get my rental car then drive directly to Grand Caynon, stay overnight there and return to the Strip the following day - is that possible? I know one can spend days there, but we need to accomplish so much with limited time, so we know it will be a bit rush with alot of driving.

What is the exact destination I should get to in Grand Caynon? I read about West and South Rim and the National Park. If I have 5 pm to sleep then in the morning till 11 am, what would be my itinerary?
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:56 PM

If you can drive one day and return the next, that is good. Go to the South Rim, inside the national park, not the "West Rim" which is closer in mileage but not nearly as scenic, and involves (I believe--haven't been there) travel on very rough roads. The "West Rim" is mainly a tourist thing for visitors to Las Vegas with very limited time. The South Rim is the real thing.

The drive from LV to the South Rim of the national park is about 4.5 hours, depending if you cross Hoover Dam and how long that takes. If you leave LV right away there should be no line. It is an easy drive on good roads. You should arrive at GC in mid-afternoon.

Make a reservation for your one night in the national park right away. The official website for lodging inside the park is www.xanterra.com. The lodges right on the rim are Bright Angel Lodge (rustic and inexpensive), El Tovar (an historic national park lodge), and Thunderbird and Kachina Lodges with more modern motel-style units, also right on the rim, between El Tovar and Bright Angel.

Leaving LV one day, driving and returning the next will give you enough time to get an introduction to the beauty of this incredible place. There is a paved path along the rim in both directions from the hotels. We get up at sunrise to enjoy the peace of a walk along here. It is also nice at sunset.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I took a trip in June that included a pit stop in GC. I stayed at bright Angel and had a cabin. It was fine. It's right on the Rim.

I stopped at many of the viewpoints, saw sunset at Hopi Point and walked along the Rim at sunrise the next morning.

I have to say that of the things/places I saw (Zion, Bryce, Page sights & Sedona) GC was the least impressive.

That was most likely my fault as I really didn't intend to stop at GC but added it to break up the drive from north to south.

If you can find a couple of hours to go down into the Canyon a bit you will probably really enjoy it.

From the top, glimpses of the Colorado River look like a stream and the GC looks like a soup bowl. You just don't get the proper perspective.

You probably don't have to go down very far. May 45 minutes down and then back up.

The same holds true for places like Bryce Canyon.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

The Bright Angle is already full on the day we planning to visit. El Tovar is too expensive. I think Kachina (?) still has rooms.

What about the Best Western Grand Cayon Squire Inn and the Holiday Inn Express Grand Caynon? Do you know if they are further away from the South Rim? Hotel info says they are right across from the National Park South Entrance... is that different than South Rim?
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Those two (Best Western and Holiday Inn) are in Tusayan, a small town just outside the park entrance. That entrance, where you pay your entry fee and get a map, etc., is itself a few miles from the actual rim of the canyon---maybe 6 or 7 miles.

The Kachina, on the other hand, is just a few steps from the rim. You enter the park at the gate, drive the few miles to the hotel area, and you are right at the edge of the canyon.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Great - thanks! We booked a room at Maswik Lodge. Bright angel only has rooms left that does not have tub/ shower.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
When I was planning my trip originally I was not able to book in-park lodging for a few nights. I was persistent. I called Xanterra (don't look online) daily and sometimes twice a day. eventually days opened up.

It appears that tours book rooms and then release them as they see they won't be used.

I got all of my days. At first I took a Bright Angel room without a shower. Eventually I got all.

Keep trying.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

What is the difference to have in-park lodging or the "off-site" hotels?

Also, any dining suggestions in the area? We are there for Christmas!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Ag3046

You are going to have moderate-to-long drives for 3 of your 6 days. Especially GC to Anaheim. That much time driving would substantially cut down on the fun and relaxation, to me.

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

We changed our plan slightly, we will now stay in Vegas for two nights following the first night at GC. Vegas to Anaheim should be 4 - 5 hours only In this case, we have more relaxed days in between