Day of the Dead Activities in Santa Fe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend & I (both aspiring photograghers) will be returning to Santa Fe/ Taos/ Albuquerque in late October/early November. Does anyone know of any Day of the Dead activities, especially in the Taos/SFe area?

Also would like to know of any interesting folk artists in the area who might be open to visitors, as well as unusual cemeteries and/or roadside memorials. (I'm doing an essay on the different ways people remember those who've passed.)

Thanks so much!

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Check the Santa Fe Reporter website, www.sfreporter.com, and the Alibi, www.alibi.com, for activity listings.

The National Hispanic Cultural Center in Albuquerque might have something planned as well.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Try this...

http://www.lascomadresgallery.com/events.html
or
http://santafe.net/index.htm

Hope this helps...Debi
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Madrid, NM is about 30 miles south of Santa Fe. It is an old mining town that was dead. A few years back some artists (not the high dollar artists of SF) just moved into the houses, fixed them up, opened some galleries and restaurants, and it is a really different place now. You see the old mining town with the kooky stuff they make together now.
Galisteo, NM 30 miles or so, just has a real old feel that is cool. Really a lot of the little towns do.
You'll want to photograph some Native Americans as well. Youc an do that in Taos, about an hour from Santa Fe. They had a VERY different way of honoring their dead. Some of my Native American friends believe their ancestors embody animals today. They have ancient burial grounds in NM, do not know if you can visit them though??
There are old cemetaries in all of these towns. Don't know more than that.
For a completely different NM experience, come where I live to southern NM, Las Cruces. It is four hours or so from SF. It is close to Mexico and has strictly a Mexican culture. Northern NM (SF) has a Spanish and Native American culture.
Hope that helps!.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:07 PM

If you are not aware...please ask before photographing ceremonies etc. As these are often religious ceremonies, it is considered disrespectful to photograph.

On the pueblos, you must pay for a permit to take pictures.
Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Debi and Lee Ann - really appreciate your insights. If you think of anything else, please do pass along.

Have been to Madrid before (stuck in the rain one afternoon at the Mine Shaft Roadhouse - what a cast of characters!) but never got to explore the town. It's definitely on the itinerary.

Cindy
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Hi Cindy - first of all, I love your name! I'm an aspiring photographer too and northern New Mexico is an amazing place to take photos -- Enjoy the trip!

I also wanted to say that photographing cemeteries, or even visiting them, is not allowed on any pueblo land. It's very much frowned upon.

You may want to check out the village of Abiquiu, northwest of Santa Fe. There is a very colorful cemetery there.