Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Daufuskie Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/daufuskie-island-791289/)

JerseySue Jun 21st, 2009 06:47 AM

Daufuskie Island

Has anyone been to Daufuskie Island ?? I know it's only accessible by ferry from Hilton Head - we are looking for a nice golf resort and the idea of no cars on the island is very appealing.

Orcas Jun 21st, 2009 10:07 AM

Haven't been there, but, if you choose to go, you may find Pat Conroy's book, "The Water is Wide," fascinating. It will give you insights into the underlying Gullah culture and history of Daufuskie Island prior to it becoming a golf resort. The 1974 film, "Conrack" is based on the book.

The book is about the author's true experiences teaching children on Daufuskie Island in the late 1960's. At that time, Daufuskie Island was a very isolated offshore island with little contact with the 20th century. Both the book and movie are quite good.

hmmm Jun 21st, 2009 11:49 AM

Been a few times and no longer golf. It is isolated, accessible only by boat. The development is low key, upper end, but not over the top. The beaches are quite nice, and, because of their position, accumulate quite a bit of driftwood....The island is situated across a sound from Southbeach, Hilton Head. Lots of wildlife in the waters, including dolphin, and on the island, including gators, deer and birds.

The inhabitants had contact with the "outside world." Many made their living crabbing and fishing and took their catches by small boat down to Savannah, GA.

Great place to relax.

dove Jun 22nd, 2009 09:06 AM

You may want to check this out carefully. The Resort recently entered into bankruptcy. It was not clear at that time whether the hotel would continue to operate. Even so, there may be so reduction of services and employees.

wade_harrell Jun 23rd, 2009 07:13 AM

Daufuksie Island is an incredible place and is certainly a place worthy of you visiting if you like quite, and relaxing vacations and pretty much your own 3 mile beach to explore. the last response is correct the resort filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in January but is on the up swing once again - resort operations are beginning to open and the entire Island is coming together - Actually the bankruptcy will prove to be a very positive thing in the long term strength of the island. I would say that a visit this year would depend on what you need from a resort to have a great time - if you'd like a detailed updated on all things Daufuskie and what you can expect let me know, i'd be glad to give you all of the info - my email is [email protected] .

DaufuskieGirl Jun 30th, 2009 10:22 PM

Hi,
I have a part time cottage on Daufuskie and can tell you it is a great place to get away from the crowds in a civilized way.

The Bankruptcy only affected the rental community for the winter months but it is back in the swing and most all the amenities have been taken over by entreprenuers.

The Melrose Golf Course and pro shop are doing fine if you want to play.

The pool and beach club restaurant are running smoothly as is the trolley and cart, bike and grill rentals. The equestrian center is still in the horse business and the off resort restaurants are still as funky and fun as ever, especially on the weekends when live bands are in the house. Call ahead for reservations for the restaurants and ferries, as they have been booking up. Locals from Hilton Head and Savannah go over for the day and dinner.

Take your own food from the mainland in a cooler as the grocery stores are not what we are used to at home. If you need something you might find it at the Freeport Marina Grocery on the island.

The homes you'll find for rent have mostly been renovated or are pretty new with upgrades.

The Inn, Spa and Bloody Point Golf course are the only places that have not yet come back on after the bankruptcy. But that's okay, the Atlantic and the unspoiled beaches, tranquil live oak lined roads and the ferry ride are still massaging the stress right out.

It's worth your time.