Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Damage deposit not refunded for 30 days--Is this common on a rental?
Notices

Damage deposit not refunded for 30 days--Is this common on a rental?

Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Damage deposit not refunded for 30 days--Is this common on a rental?

We're planning to rent a small privately-owned cabin in Door County, Wisconsin. They have an agency handling the rentals. The agency's policy is that a security deposit is due upon arrival which is fine. But, they have up to 30 days to refund the deposit. They also won't just take a check and hold it until we leave and then return it as soon as they've checked to make sure the place is undamaged. Rather, they will deposit my money, hold it for up to 30 days & then issue me a check on their account.

Is this a common policy? I'll admit I haven't run into it in the past. But, other than a rental through VRBO in the US, most of our rentals recently have been in Europe.
Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM

It depends upon the state. I live in Massachusetts and the state law is that a deposit for a short term rental may be held for 30 days. That being said, checks are often held uncashed and returned if all is well or sometimes a walk through can be scheduled and the check returned on the spot.

Can you ask about scheduling a walk through if it is a concern?

Search this Thread