Dallas ... visit in April need suggestions

Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Dallas ... visit in April need suggestions

Greetings,
My buddy and I are visiting Dallas for a week in mid April, and I wanted to get some suggestions for our stay. We've both been to Dallas before as we helped my brother move here last year. Sadly, he's been there a while and still hasn't got a handle on the nightlife situation. We've got a lot to do during the day, seeing sights, golfing, etc. We're 2 guys in our late 20's coming from Miami - South Beach. Any cool restaurants, clubs, places to hear music? We're renting a car and staying in the Hilton in College Park.
P.S. We're pretty familiar with Austin and we'd really like to keep it in the metroplex.
Thanks!
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
yk

Victory Park is the newest part of town, lots of restaurants are opening there. The W hotel is there and the bar on the top floor is supposedly fun (I too old to go partying.)

Other restaurants that opened recently in Victory Park are Nove and N9NE.

Otherwise, Lower Greenville has your standard bars/nightclubs fare.

Uptown also has plenty of restaurants and bars.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
ellabella

Where is College Park? You might check out the Knox/Henderson area too. There is a private club called Candle Room, but if you have dinner at Hibiscus (which is fantastic), I think you can get in the club. On Travis near Knox, there is a club called Suite that is popular (but I haven't been). Downtown on Main, Obar is cool. I would avoid Addison, West End, and possibly Greenville...but maybe because that is where I would go in high school so the appeal has worn off.

Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM

Maybe he means Park Cities, Hilton on Luther Lane.Ghostbar is THE place, no doubt about it.W Hotel.Hotter than hot.Guys $20 cover chicks are free.Take money.N9ne Steak House we were treated like rock stars.Guess it was our good looks, but cant afford that place more than once a year.Fab steak, 24 ounce bone in rib eye.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM

I'm confused. At the end of your post you say
"We're pretty familiar with Austin ?? Do you mean Dallas??? Or are you asking for info on Austin?

If you are asking about Dallas, Beachboi hit the top spots. They are fun and bustling with lots of young, hip goodlooking people.

I would also throw in Dragonfly at ZaZa Hotel since its warm enough to hang around the pool area.

If you are staying at the Hilton in Park Cities on Luther we just stayed there. Its just a typical Hilton hotel. No frills and the bar is boring. Had a burger at the bar is it was quite tasty actually. Parking was $14/day which I thought was high for Dallas.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:17 PM

www.guidelive.com
Also, www.sunset-lounge.com pretty happening place with good drinks and remarkably good food Thurs -Sat.
M
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM

BG...I think he might be referring to seeing so many "What can we do in Dallas?" questions that end up recommending driving down the hill country instead.Since there s nothing to do in Dallas.(Their words, not mine!) I find plenty to do in Dallas but i have a lot of friends there.Kinda different than when you go in and only know a couple peeps.Addison has some good joints, but OMG the traffic....I always make a point to go to Houston's for their chicken salad.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM

One evening, it would be very worth it to drive over to Fort Worth and check out Sundance Square. LOTS of great restaurants and several good clubs. Personally, I LOVE Pete's Dueling Piano Bar, but YMMV...
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. As far as the Hilton is concerned, yes it is the one in Park Cities stayed, stayed there last year because of the proximity to where my brother lives. I guess I got confused because its near a college(?)...also down the block from a nice little fish place with lots of them mounted on the walls.
Driving to Austin always comes up as a suggestion for things to do while in Dallas... We've been there and we really don't want to drive out there on this trip.
The place at the W Hotel sounds great. Is it the area right off downtown where all the new buildings and renovations are being done? I sort of passed thru on my last trip.

Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM

The W Hotel and Ghost Bar is next to the American Airlines Center.

Not sure if that is the area you are referring to or not.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:47 AM

SoBchBud1....The college is probably SMU, in University Park, but not "close".Dont know the fish place, probably there is Preston Center.Yes, Victory Park is the AAC, the W Hotel,Ritz Carlton Residences or whatever they are called.I'd buy one of the Penthouses there except I think $5K a month "maintenance" is a little steep.The $1.9M price tag aint so bad, 4K sq ft of ceiling to floor windows, 360D view of Big D...a bahgan....
Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM

To add to the list:

Went to the Candle Room a few weeks ago - it was mostly guys hanging out looking for girls. The craziness was happening at the tables/booths - private roped-off areas...they were gettin' down and dirty.

Been to Wish, above Fadi's (corner Knox and I-75/Central). Now that entire place was insane, INSANE!! It's hip-hop. Private club and I have no idea how you'd get in - I went with a friend who knows someone.

Sunset Lounge as Mikemo suggested would be good too - in your age range. It's more of a bar than a nightclub. Mikemo...how do YOU know the Sunset Lounge???

I like hanging out on Henderson.
*Fireside Pies plays good music and has great pizza - expect to wait an hour for a table.
*Tei Tei has a great bar scene and you can get food in there. They have a DJ. It's Japanese...it's our Nobu.
*Old Monk for a pub scene.
*Vickery is where a lot of chefs go after work. Used to be Primo's (on McKinney)...now Vickery.

Tonight we're checking out the Tiki Lounge at the newly re-opened Trader Vic's @Palomar Hotel. My friend who took me to Wish said it was all blue-hairs...guess I'll see for myself.

I lived in South Beach - 14-15 years ago...I'd say Wish is what you are looking for. I've seen people standing in line there; maybe you could get in.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

If its anything like South Beach, two guys without a girl would be next to impossible getting in to most places. Luckily my network resources here might be able to swing things. (Crossing fingers) I've been doing the lower key lounge thing lately, but I sometimes enjoy dancing and watching the sunrise on a nightclub rooftop. Any morning type parties in the area?
Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM

I remember those days...sitting on the beach after a night at Warsaw or The Duece...depending on what we were looking for...

You will find this to be lame. I did after first moving here. Bars, clubs close at 2am; not 5am like Miami.

I know there are "after hours" places, but I can't think of any...and I think you have to BYOB - we have strange liquor laws in Texas.

For low-key, definately start off at Fireside Pies on the patio. Chances are, there will be a group of ladies who will know where to go.
And Sunset Lounge for drinks - it's on Ross Ave near the highway overpass that divides East Dallas from Downtown. Sunset is on the East Dallas side. Look for an orange circle.

Another low-key place is Lee Harvey's near the South Side on Lamar bldg. They have a site - look at it for directions.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:22 AM

How could I forget my fave place???

The Belmont Hotel on Ft. Worth Ave and Sylvan. They have a great patio and great drinks...views of downtown. But the bar closes at midnight on weekends. Check their site for weekday hours - I know they also have drink specials during the week.