Search

Dallas in November

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dallas in November

We will be going to Dallas for a wedding in November. We are from Toronto and have never been to Texas. We've always wanted to go to San Antonio but we are now limited to Dallas. Although we are not sure yet where in Dallas the wedding will be, I've started looking for the most interesting areas to stay. Also, what is the weather like in November? We like going to bars and casual restaurants but we are mid-thirties so the "club scene" is not what we are looking for.

Any suggestions?? Also, any websites that might help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:24 AM

November weather in Dallas:
Avg high-66
Avg low-45
Avg precip--2.2 inches
Avg snowfall--0.1 inches
Clear days per month--12
Cloudy days per month--12
Rainy days per month--6

For tourism info:
http://www.thedallaspage.com/
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:33 AM

November in Dallas is usually pretty nice, as gplimpton reports.

We're in the same age group, and I think you would really enjoy staying in the Addison area. It is a small city within Dallas that has many casual restaurants, fun bars and people our age. I recommend Genghis Grill, Snuffer's, Stadium Cafe, and Truluck's for casual bar/restaurant, and Lawry's or Fogo de Chao for a more unique dining experience. The best hotel in Addison is definitely the Intercontinental, and there are quite a few smaller motels, too.

The Dallas Monring News' website is www.dallasnews.com. Be sure and look at the Guide on their website as you trip gets closer so you can see what will be happening in Dallas that week. You might be lucky and catch a festival!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

This is great! Thanks for the info and the sites!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:57 AM

I travel to Dallas often.The Galleria Shopping Mall unofficially begins what is called "FarNorthDallas".Its a very congested area but navigable.I have stayed at the new Hilton Suites across from the mall.There is also Embassy Suites,Marriott Quorum,Courtyard,Hilton Garden Inn,Holiday Inn,lots.BeltLine Road is the real action.Any variety of restaurants.One The Border,Champps Sports Bar.I must have a burger and chees fries from Snuffers.The InterContinental has a fabulous Sunday Brunch.
www.addisontexas.net
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Just for the record, it can be 70 and awesome in November, or it can be 30 wet and cold. But I would say more than likely you are looking at cool, (or for you it would probably be considered warm) dry weather. Although is normally humid year round.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Just an FYI, was told this week that fares on Southwest from Dallas to San Antonio are only around $35 usually. Not sure what ammount of time you have to spend, but that's awfully cheap! You could do the wedding and then fly to SA and back to Toronto.....just a thought! My hubby and I thought Dallas was great! But we commuted in from relatives in Mesquite so I'm not well versed on places to stay.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:57 PM

hyatt222: Isn't it Houston that's humid all year round? Dallas is fairly dry.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Dallas is drier but it can be pretty humid, particularly during the summer months. Keep in mind one thing about that Southwest fare to San Antonio. Southwest only flies out of Love Field in Dallas, and can only fly to the 5 neighboring states because of the Wright Amendment.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:09 PM

OH NO! Dont tell me they moved San Antonio again. What state did they move it to anyway. Couldn't have been to far because the flight only takes 55 minutes. Could it be that they really do fly direct to the Real San Antonio, in Texas? Jim Wright died years ago so I don't think he will mind.*LOL*
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:00 PM

LOL--pretty funny comeback there, chrisp.
Indeed, SWA flies direct to San Antonio from Dallas without connecting in Salt Lake City.

As for the humidity in Dallas, average humidity for each month of the year ranges between 62% and 67% except January--which averages 70%.
That's still humid by my standards.
Houston, though, is worse.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:30 AM

I live in Dallas and have visited Toronto many times (sorry about SARS, it must suck right now!)
You should consider the downtown area for lodging and Deep Ellum for fun. Addison is w-a-y to sterile and plastic. Deep Ellum is cutting edge and more like artsy. You could stay at Hotel ZaZa off McKinney Ave, near downtown (www.hotelzaza.com) the new incredibly hip hotel, a fav of celebrities already. There is plenty of awesome shopping, in the uptown area and many of the best restaurants in Dallas are in this area as well.
There is a trolley that will take you to a new high end mall, or downtown. You can go to the Westend if you like (a bit more commercial but fun) and cab it over Deep Ellum to party.
November is usually very nice, rarely 30 and miserable! My Ottawa friends just love visiting Dallas in the late fall/winter. I can't wait to get back to YYZ!
Have fun - Laura
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:44 AM
OliveOyl

I agree with TxTravelPro 100%. I cannot even imagine going to Dallas for the first time and staying around the Addison/Beltline area! I guess you can go from place to place to place eating if you want, but what else?? The proximity to the Galleria isn't worth that.

Stay downtown by all means. I love the McKinney Ave area day or night...antiquing, dining, what have you, whereas Beltline/restaurant row exists in some form or other in most every city in the US. We did make it back there for our one meal in town a couple of weeks ago, however, but a visit for old times sake to a place we always used to take the kids to celebrate the last day of school, and go to with friends on nights out...Cantina Laredo. Happy to see it still chugging along and still very popular!

If you really are into "luxe", you might do the Mansion and I've heard great things about ZaZa too. Then there's the Melrose, Fairmont, Crescent and on and on (and not to exclude the Hyatt, but that's a different level and not an experience like some of the others might be for you).

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

This has been great!! Thanks Everyone! I definitely think we will stay "downtown" in Dallas. I was just unfamiliar with which areas are "downtown".

And, strangely enough, after posting the original message, I went to SWA site and saw the price of flights to San Antonio from Dallas. We will definitely be able to fit that in as well!!

SARS, at this time, is highly exaggerated in the media. Life in Toronto is almost business as usual. Companies have made sure people stay home if they have had any possibility of contact and almost all people are adhering to the quarantines. However, last night's news only had 2 stories in a half-hour period that were not about SARS and this morning's paper has about 6 pages dedicated to it. There still seem to be a good number of US tourists around! Hopefully, there will be an end to it soon!!

Thanks again!