Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place for Maryland crab cakes in D.C where I won't need advanced reserv.?

Search

Where is the best place for Maryland crab cakes in D.C where I won't need advanced reserv.?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:36 AM
Sarah

Going to D.C.
Any other ideas of other restaurants would be great also.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:51 AM
amy

The Market Inn has good crabcakes, and the prices aren't too bad. It's located in SW Washington, not far from the Capitol, you'd take the Federal Center SW Metro to get there.

If you'd really like to go all out, I'd recommend Oceanaire. It's a GREAT seafood restaruant, and the crabcakes are delicious. You'll have to make a reservation, though.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:07 AM
Sarah

Thanks Amy I think Casual is what I need as I only have jeans in my bag and I have already left home.

I am going to be staying at the Shearton four points on 12th and K is that an ok neighborhood? I am coming in via bus at about 9:30 10pm. I have not been to that bus station since the 80's but it sounds like the are has picked up with Union Station nearby and all is that right?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:38 AM
ssss

anybody else? Does not have to be seafood I will need to eat for lunch and breakfast also.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Claudia

Check out the most recent Washingtonian. They have an article about the best crabcakes.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Sarah

Claudia I came and went. White House Info Center sent me to Phillips EEEEKK a mix. I had success with Franklin Exchange inside the Crowne Plaza hotel

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:51 AM
sss

Can I get that Washingontonian online would like to save for fall trip

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Claudia

Check out the Washingtonian site for dining ideas: http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/default.asp

I didn't hunt around for the crabcake article but it's probably there.

Stay away from Philip's and any of the restaurants on Maine Avenue. They're where the busloads of tourists go.

My favorite crabcake place is by BWI airport however - G&M seafood. Low on atmosphere, great crabcakes (don't order anything else)!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:22 AM
kay

I've had delicious crabcakes at Johnny's Half Shell, P Street NW near Dupont Circle metro. No reservations taken, so there's often a wait. Everythng else I've eaten there was great, too.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Sarah

just where the fjkdl were you people last Friday.

I trecked to Philips on foot all the way from the Smithsonian being told that they were famous in DC for their Crab cakes.

Keep the ideas coming I am going again in Sept or Oct.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Crabby

There were some stories a while back in the Washington Post about Phillips.

I tseems that their crabmeat does NOT come fromm Maryland or anywhere local.

Most of it comes from the Phillipines or thereabouts.

Phillips is the McDonalds of crab cakes.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:02 AM
xxx

yuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkk crabby totally had a funky taste

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Ann

Sarah-the area around the bus station still isn't very good, and Union Station is roughly a mile away. Not somewhere you'd want to walk by yourself at night. Yes, I admit I've done it, but I was young and stupid. Take a cab to your hotel.

Crab cakes: try McCormick & Schmick's. You can wear jeans there at lunch. Johnny's Half Shell is a great suggestion.