Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dallas/Ft Worth visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dallas-ft-worth-visit-827351/)

Jantravel Feb 19th, 2010 05:44 PM

Dallas/Ft Worth visit

Weekend layover in Dallas Ft Worth to see musuems. Which city to stay in overnight?

yk Feb 19th, 2010 06:24 PM

Dallas is more of a "modern" & cosmopolitan city. FW is more of a traditional texas city.

IMO, there are lots more restaurant options if you stay in Dallas. However, you probably will have to pay (more) for hotel parking in Dallas vs FW.

For Dallas, there's no real downtown area where you can walk around. You need to drive everywhere - from hotel to shops to museums to restaurants.

For FW, if you stay in downtown, you can walk to most restaurants & shops. You still have to drive to the museum area though.

Ackislander Feb 20th, 2010 04:37 AM

The museums in Fort Worth are among the best in the US, not only as museums but as architecture. We were blown away when we visited. You have to drive to them, but you can walk amongst the three easily. The Modern has a really nice restaurant.

Strongly recommend a visit if you like art and/or architecture. In Dallas, try to see the state fair grounds: art deco galore.

ChristieP Feb 21st, 2010 08:38 AM

Honestly, stay in Fort Worth. The downtown area is wonderful, especially at night! The Sundance Square are has lots of restaurants, bars and cute shops. Molly the Trolley can also help you get around.

My personal favorite hotel there is the Hilton, but the Omni and Worthington are also very popular. Sheraton's location is out of the way and is quite a long walk.

Most of the museums are in the "cultural district" which is across the river from downtown. Kimbell, Modern Art, Amon Carter (American art), National Cowgirl Museum are all good. Sid Richardson (western art) is my personal favorite, but it is downtown.

Agree on the Cafe at the Modern for lunch. They do a really good Sunday brunch, too.

musicfan Feb 21st, 2010 09:41 AM

My rec is Fort Worth also...nice downtown (I got a great deal at the Omni the first weekend in January from travelzoo...check it out though I don't know if it's still available now). The Water Gardens were right across the street and were fascinating. You can also go to the Stockyards for some nightlife...Billy Bob's et al. Also, FW has a botanical garden and a nice zoo.

saige Feb 21st, 2010 01:49 PM

I agree with the other posts,do stay in Fort Worth for the museums and plan to have at least one of your meals at the Cafe at the Modern!

saige Feb 21st, 2010 02:14 PM

www.mollythetrolley.com provides information on the free shuttle service in Fort Worth

www.fortworth.com has a downtown dining guide and other tourist information

There is a visitor information center at 3401 W Lancaster Ave. or you can call 800-433-5747 to request visitors guides including a walking map of the cultural district.