Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dallas connections? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dallas-connections-658846/)

EmilyC Nov 14th, 2006 03:58 PM

Dallas connections?

I'm flying from PVD to Abilene for business. Would prefer to use US Air from PVD to Dallas and then get a quick connection to Abilene on another carrier.
Considering the Dallas airport layout, which other carrier would be my best choice to make this connection?
Thanks in advance!!

P_M Nov 14th, 2006 04:19 PM

Before you book a trip using 2 different carriers, make sure they have a code share agreement so you can check your bags through to your final destination. Otherwise you will have to pick up your luggage at DFW and check in again. Not fun....

EmilyC Nov 14th, 2006 04:38 PM

I will be carrying on my bag - no checked bag....thanks!

P_M Nov 14th, 2006 05:33 PM

Good idea to carry on if possible.

I did a quick check and it looks like your only option for non-stop service from DFW to Abilene is American. Continental also flies to Abilene, but you would have to connect through Houston.

Another option would be to drive from DFW to Abilene, it's about 175 miles.

ChristieP Nov 14th, 2006 06:30 PM

American Eagle is the only carrier that flies direct from DFW to Abilene. You could just rent a car at DFW and drive to Abilene. It's only a 2.5 hour drive, and you'll need a car while you're there anyway.

Eat at Harold's Pit BBQ while you're in Abilene. Mmmm! Be sure and get there early for lunch so the line isn't out the door!

EmilyC Nov 15th, 2006 04:12 AM

Thanks! Are US Air and American in the same terminal in DFW. How much time should I allow between flights?

rjw_lgb_ca Nov 15th, 2006 08:02 AM

US Airways is in Terminal E at DFW. American operates its American Eagle flights out of Terminal A. You can use the Skylink train to shuttle between the terminals-- it shouldn't take more than 9-10 minutes.

You won't have to go through security again, but I would not risk missing flights; give yourself an hour connection time.

EmilyC Nov 16th, 2006 03:40 AM

Thank you! Exactly the info that I needed.....what would I do without this board??

doug_stallings Nov 16th, 2006 05:29 AM

I'd actually add one more caution about DFW. Most of these smaller American Eagle flights actually board from the sattelite terminal, which means you have to take a shuttle to the actual gate (or plane) from the main terminal. The gate area is also at the far, far end of Terminal A. The shuttle adds at least 10 to 15 minutes onto your connection time; an hour should be enough time to make a connection if you aren't late, but if you are late by even 10 minutes, you might not make it, which is exactly what happened to be last Christmas.

rjw_lgb_ca Nov 16th, 2006 08:06 AM

Good point, Doug. However, I just looked at DFW's website, and they're indicating that American Eagle now flies out of Terminal B and Terminal D!! The terminal maps still suggest that they use Terminal A, but since the last expansion, they must have moved operations.

Emily, you're going to have to check carefully when you get to DFW for your connecting flight information. Looking at current operations out of DFW, flights to Abilene will operate out of either Terminal B or D. I don't know if US Air will have monitors for American in Terminal E; I'd ask gate staff if not.

EmilyC Nov 16th, 2006 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone...my reservation says American Eagle will be out of Terminal B. Have 2.5 hours between flights!

doug_stallings Nov 16th, 2006 01:45 PM

You'll have no problem making your connection. Have a good trip.

ChristieP Nov 16th, 2006 05:53 PM

Yes, fortunately the little satellite terminal is a thing of the past. :-)

TxTravelPro Nov 16th, 2006 05:59 PM

ChristieP... I swear you are a walking encyclopedia of Dallas and Texas. You should work for the state tourism bureau!!!!

doug_stallings Nov 17th, 2006 06:24 AM

I'm glad to hear of the demise of the sattelite terminal. I have to do a leg home this Christmas via Dallas, and that will be a welcome change.