Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dad wants to recreate 1st date with Mom in New York City for 35th anniversary. Please Help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dad-wants-to-recreate-1st-date-with-mom-in-new-york-city-for-35th-anniversary-please-help-214133/)

Anja Dec 10th, 2001 10:26 AM

Dad wants to recreate 1st date with Mom in New York City for 35th anniversary. Please Help.

My parents are returning to New York City for the first time in years. On their first date together they went to the Esther Eng Restaurant in Chinatown on Pell Street. My Dad has it in his head to take my Mom there on their trip, but since it's been 35 years my Mom is not too sure. Has anybody been to this place recently? What is the food and atmosphere like? Any information would be greatly appreciated because I can't seem to find anything on the web. <BR><BR>Also, does anybody have any opinions about the Russian Tea Room, Patroon, & the 21 Club? Thanks.<BR>

Ted Dec 10th, 2001 11:18 AM

Patroon is excellent. Very expensive. The lobster bisque is the best in the world, and I don't say that lightly. Enjoy.<BR><BR>

Merilee Dec 10th, 2001 11:19 AM

I checked with directory assistance and they didn't have a listing for a restaurant called Esther Eng on Pell Street or anywhere else in Manhattan for that matter...I like to take people to the Russian Tea Room on a special occasion because it's lavishly decorated and it adds to the festivity...the food is fine and everyone has always had a nice time...

Patrick Dec 10th, 2001 11:28 AM

Regarding the 21 Club: I happen to like it, but only by eating in the bar (they call it the saloon) and I really prefer lunch. At one point I understand it had really gotten pretty bad foodwise, but that all seems to have changed for the better. One note. If you go for lunch you will almost be bowled over by the prices on the menu, but ask for the special 21 menu. It consists of I think three choices each for appetizer or salad, main course, and dessert -- all for $21. That is less than just about any main course alone on the menu. Haven't been there for a year now, but last year men were still required to wear coat AND TIE.

Elizabeth Dec 10th, 2001 12:58 PM

I think this is such a wonderful idea that your parents have--your mom is lucky to have a husband like this, and I am sure they'll have a wonderful time.<BR><BR> I was in New York just out of college 35 years ago--1964 actually which I guess is 37 years ago--so I remember it. It won't be impossible to re-create some of the mood of that time--I think Russian Tea Room and especially 21 probably have stayed unchanged in essential ways, regardless of any new ownership. I don't know the other places. (And--as Mom and Dad know--how could a special first date be re-created without a tie for Dad? The boyfriend I had in 1964 had no clothes except suits, and he didn't have a job. To become informal he took off the jacket.) <BR>

Anja Dec 10th, 2001 04:56 PM

Thanks, guys. I really want this trip to be a special one for them and all of your helpful information is very much appreciated.<BR>

Lois Dec 10th, 2001 06:44 PM

Anja, I can't help with the restaurant on Pell, but I have been to the Russian Tea Room many times, both before and after the complete revamping of it since it's recent change of ownership. Since I am of Russian heritage, I am especially critical of that type of food. Personally, I liked the menu before, but the place is absolutely beautiful now, far more impressive. Before it was tacky. It is definitely worth a special occasion visit. Each floor is tastefully done, and completely different. The ground floor is predominently red, and impressive. The second floor is in a deep blue with gold, and has an impressive giant standing "Russian Bear' glass aquarium in the center of the room. Quite impressive in itself. You can't go wrong with either room. Since it's new ownership, I've been there for brunch and lunch, and both were fine. It certainly qualifies as a good spot for a special occasion.

Frank Dec 11th, 2001 07:20 AM

Google listed an Esther Eng Restaurant at 18 Pell Street, but the phone listed was disconnected. I guess it must have gone out of business recently. If they happen to be in Chinatown, they can pass by and see what's there now, probably another restaurant.<BR><BR>An old favorite for a special dinner is the Four Seasons restaurant on Park Avenue in the East 50's. Ask for the pool room.

Elizabeth Dec 11th, 2001 09:13 AM

Frank & Anja: I think it's super you found Esther Eng in the phone book. If the phone doesn't work that doesn't mean the restaurant is gone. Since 9/11 many places downtown still don't have their normal phone service back. <BR><BR> I hope there's a Fodorite who can walk past the address Frank posts and see what's there now. If I go down there I'll check it. But I think some people live or work down there. <BR><BR> And -- besides great 4 Seasons suggestion--another place I think of from that time, even tho not Mom & Dad's first date, is the Brasserie, which was Hip Central in 1964 (it was open all night, and the creatures of the night made grand entrances after 1 or 2 as you enter the dining room down a staircase). It's been redone and re-opened; now open only until 1 or 2 or something. It wins design awards and evokes the 60s.

rrr Dec 11th, 2001 11:38 PM

frankmondial Jan 18th, 2010 05:15 AM

Anya, I am very interested to read that your parents went to the Esther Eng Restaurant - and probably met the host herself. It may surprise you to know that Esther Eng (Cantonese name, Ng Kam-ha) was the most important female director of Chinese cinema until around the 1960s. She was also an American, born, like her father, in San Francisco. Esther Eng died on January 25, 1970, aged 55. She had opened 5 NYC restaurants in all between 1950 and her death. This followed her cinema career that included 5 features she directed or codirected through 1937-39 in Hong Kong; she directed 4 American features too including Golden Gate Girl (1941) notable for Bruce Lee's first ever screen appearance - as a baby girl (Bruce Lee's father was a well known Cantonese opera comedian then touring the US). I am writing an article on her right now and would love to know if your parents have memories of her. I visited New York (from Australia) in 2001 mainly to look for this restaurant still being advertised (even now!) online though it stopped just a few years after her death. I believe a barber shop occupies that site. My simple website in progress on her is at www.estherengstory.com with an email address there or at [email protected]. If your parents could no longer dine there - famous showbusiness people did from time to time - then they can at least know what a fabulous host they had all those years ago. All the best/ Frank PS: just enter search terms "Esther Eng" and "film" together online and you will see some of this film-related info on her career. amazing woman.

nytraveler Jan 18th, 2010 08:38 AM

Sounds like a fun idea. I would just encourage your dad to go to meupages.com to look at the menus and prices while planning. I've been working in the city for about 30 years now - and thinking back to the prices then (my first jobs involved a lot of being taken out to lunch in upscale places) - he may be surprised by the changes.

SueNYC Jan 18th, 2010 09:23 AM

NyTravel - this post started in 2001 - but the backstory that showed up above is really WONDERFUL - Thank you Frank Mondial

Aduchamp1 Jan 18th, 2010 10:24 AM

Here is a website image of today's 18 Pell Street a barber shop.

http://www.nychinatown.org/storefronts/pell/18pell.html

Pell itself is very short and an even smaller street Doyers crosses Pell just about at 18.

On the same side of the street closer to Mott, there is a dim sum place that atrracts older Chinese for lunch, maybe someone would have recollections of Esther Eng and her accomplishments and restaurant.

travelbuff Jan 18th, 2010 10:28 AM

I think your Dad is one smart guy to recreate their first date, now THAT's romance.

In Chinatown, if they want a nice place to eat with great food, they might try Peking Duck on Mott St. and of course order the Peking Duck, which will come for two, and they can take the leftovers back to the hotel for late nite snacking.

From there they could walk up into Little Italy for some coffe and desert at one of the lovely cafes there.

21 Club hasn't changed much over the year, except the prices have gone up.

If they haven't made hotel reservations yet, I'd suggest The Palace, and if you let me know, I can probably get a bottle of champagne sent to the room through my contacts there.

I hope they have a GREAT trip.