Buyer Beware Travelocity!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM
pdf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyer Beware Travelocity!

To update my Travelocity rant last week:
We booked a trip on Travelocity last week, it was billed on my credit card, got all the itinerary, confirmation numbers, etc. A few days later, Travelocity decided that one of their air partners had made an error on their flight rate, and it would now not be honored. I tried for days to talk them into doing the right thing, after all, this is their JOB to ensure accurate information be provided on their website packages. No way would they budge, plus trying to speak to someone who spoke English clearly was impossible. This wasn't just a few dollars difference, the package price went from $535 to over $800! The CC charge will be removed, but what a waste of a week.
I've booked many trips using other online travel sites - but I wish I had googled Travelocity before this, as they have quite a history of shady transactions.

Travelocity . . . NEVER AGAIN, and I would discourage anyone else from using them for this obvious Bait and Switch technique.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Bait and switch is when they do it on purpose. Do you really think that's what happened?
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 06:40 PM

No. It doesn't sound like "bait and switch" to me. It sounds more like total incompetence. That's just as good a reason to avoid using them.

Can you imagine a store selling you something for a marked price, letting you leave the store with it, then coming back and saying, "oops. The manufacturer told us wrong. We're charging 50% more to your credit card you used for the purchase"?

It would be bad enough if they caught the mistake before your charge went through, but once they actually charged the sale, seems like it should be their problem not yours.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM

I do agree that it's up to them to present accurate prices during the booking process and honor them once all is confirmed.

It would be one thing if, as someone suggested previously, the airfare was omitted for your package and that was obvious.

Still, for the difference in your package, I agree they should have honored your confirmed booking.

I don't even shop on Travelocity because the entire web site is so cumbersome and tricky (and slow). And, the FAQ's and other Customer Service pages are severely lacking.

You're right, though, you should have Googled...
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Your right.Travelocity is NOT a reliable sight in any way,shape or form.I wrote them once asking why they "show" one price and then charge another and I got some cocken-bull story that they have "real time" pricing and that's why.
What kind of bull is that!!They show lower prices to reel you in and then slam you with the higher costs at the tail end of the reservation process.Or after you've booked!!
Don't ever book with Travelocity.There totally unreliable!!
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM
cd

Thanks for the heads up. I've only dealt with them once but now I will think twice.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Me too, by the way. I was only asking whether it was on purpose of incompetence for "informational purposes" - I absolutely think they should honor the price and, in fact, I think you should report them to the BBB and anyone else anybody can think of, maybe even the DA.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM

You can try the Attorney General's Office and/or the Dept. of Consumer Affairs.....