Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

D.C. late Aug - coming from the UK - what to pack?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:16 AM
KC

Hi all

We are visiting DC (from the UK) for a week in late August/early Sept.

Can anyone let me know what the weather is likely to be like (generally of course - I don't expect you to predict each day's weather forecast for me!!)

I need to know how warm or cold its likely to be - humid or not? Rainy season or generally autumnal dryness?

I'd really appreciate some general advice.

many thanks

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:27 AM
ddd

KC,

DC can be hot and humid in August and early Sept. Temperatures are likely to be 80 to 90 plus ( 27 to 30 ). Had a run of days in the mid and upper ninties recently. Keep in mind things don't tend to cool off too much at night.

Harder to say about the rain. Mostly likely you'll see the occasional afternoon or everning thunderstorm due to the heat but showery days aren't unheard of. I'd leave the umbrellas at home though and bring light rain jackets. You can buy cheap umbrellas all over town if you decide you need them.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:58 AM
Jackie

August will most likely be hot and humid, humid, humid. I'd pack plenty of deodorant and very lightweight clothes. Welcome!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Ann

Hot, hot, hot. After two years of relatively mild summers (for DC), the heat and humidity are back with a vengance this year. We have a lot of visitors from the UK, and they often have a difficult time with the weather here in the summer. We don't get our lovely DC fall weather until late September usually.

So, drink lots and lots of water, use plenty of sunscreen (the real stuff, not SPF 7), wear light clothes, and you won't need a jacket. On the topic of sunscreen, I've had to take TWO friends (separate occasions) from the UK to the emergency room because they decided, against my advice, that sunning themselves by the pool in July/August without any sunscreen on was a good idea. Each spent about 4-5 days doing nothing but staying in the house after that because they were in so much pain.

It's extremely rare for it to rain all day, although it does happen. More likely, late afternoon or evening thunderstorms, if it does rain at all.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Arabella

Unbelievably hot here in DC. We saw people carrying umbrellas and that seemed like a good idea to shield against the sun.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:53 PM
yul

Another resident of this area wonders: why in the world do you have to come here in summer?

August here can not only be hot and humid, beyond what you're used to in UK, but miserably overcast too.

Believe me, the winter here is a better time to visit than summer.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
Donna

It will most definitely be very hot and very humid. If you're lucky, it will be not so hot (70's) but still humid. The large museums are air conditioned, but not chilly. However, many shops, stores, and restaurants have their air conditioning set to frigid. So, you never know when you'll need a sweater indoors. The temperatures do not drop much (if at all) when the sun sets. You'll want to bring washable clothing that will dry overnight. If you plan to change (and believe me, you'll want to) before heading out for dinner or other evening activities, you'll be showering and dressing twice each day. On the other hand, you'll be in pretty much the same condition within minutes, once you re-emerge from your hotel after "freshening up"! Rain is totally unpredictable. There could be none, or it could rain the entire time (but this is not too likely).