Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   D.C. Itenerary Assistance (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/d-c-itenerary-assistance-429351/)

bradk May 7th, 2004 01:13 PM

D.C. Itenerary Assistance

Since everyone seems to be so helpful with the itinerary planning, I was hoping you all wouldn't mind giving me any impressions/thoughts you may have in terms of what I've already worked out.

Just some background, this is my first time in DC in 18 years (I was 12 at the time), so other than a few vivid memories, I don't have a heck of a lot to go on short of what I've read. I'm going to be there from June 12 through June 18 and my main concern is how realistic my time schedule is (some times are more flexible than others and intentionally don't account for travel time and/or meals) - the last couple of days don't even really have times since the schedules don't appear to be tight. I also intend to work in some of the monuments along the Mall at some point.

SATURDAY 6/12
11:40 - arrive at IAD
12:00-12:00 National Zoo / Snore 'n Roar (confirmed)

SUNDAY 6/13
12:00-9:00 National Zoo / Snore 'n Roar
10:00-10:00 Six Flags America (which I plan on cabbing unless there are other alternatives since rideguide reports no service via metro on sundays)

MONDAY 6/14
10:00-11:00 IMF Center
11:00-12:30 Whitehouse / Visitor Center
12:30-2:30 National Aquarium
2:30-6:30 Museum of Natural History
6:30-9:00 National Archives

TUESDAY 6/15
7:00 - 9:00 Get ticket for BE&P
9:00 - 11:00 Washington Monument / Walkdown Tour (confirmed)
11:00 - 3:30 National Museum of American History
3:30 - 5:00 Bureau of Engraving and Printing (awaiting to hear about availability of VIP tour)
5:00 - 8:00 Holocaust Museum (confirmed)

WEDNESDAY 6/16
10:00 - 11:30 DC Ducks tour
11:30 - 1:00 Postal Museum
1:00 - 2:00 Children's Museum
2:00 - 5:00 National Museum of Health and Medicine (via taxi)
5:00 - 7:00 Union Station (killing time, shopping, whatever)
7:00 - 9:30 Monuments by Moonlight tour

THURSDAY 6/17
7:00-11:00 Capitol Building (offered tour by senator, but time/date hasn't been finalized yet)
Ford's Theatre / Petersen House
International Spy Museum
Newseum Freedom park (via metro)

FRIDAY 6/18
Tourmobile - arlington Cemetary
National Air and Space Museum
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
Taxi to IAD for departure

bradk May 7th, 2004 01:17 PM

I might also add I have reservations for the Days Inn Connecticut Ave. Mostly because it's cost effective ($89 per night), is in DC (altho a bit far from most of the attractions) and close proximity to the metro. What does worry me is that I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but it does have a 7.3 rating on citysearch.com which is a lot better than most numbers :)

MikeT May 7th, 2004 01:23 PM

Wow, it looks like an exhausting trip.

First, the Days Inn is fine. It's small, but the price can't be beat and in a non-touristy neighborhood.

Although there are a number of things I would skip (Bureau of Engraving, for one), I see the biggest red flag being your Six Flags trip. Cabbing from the zoo to 6 Flags is cost prohibitive (at least it would be for me. I would guess $75) because 6 Flags is not really that close to the city.

laurelt May 7th, 2004 01:30 PM

Isn't the National Aquarium in baltimore? that could be a logistical nightmare considering the other things you have planned for Tuesday. are you traveling with kids? if so, be aware that the holocaust museum, altho not to be missed, is NOT for young children.

I would suggest that you not miss the FDR Memorial. It is really fabulous and it takes some time to go thru it all so you have to plan for it.

rkkwan May 7th, 2004 01:38 PM

The National Aquarium of Washington, DC is a small facility inside the Department of Commerce building. Really nothing to write home about, compared to the large aquariums around the nation, like the National Aquarium in Baltimore.

bradk May 7th, 2004 02:01 PM

wow, that was fast :)

MikeT: just curious why you'd skip the BE&P? Something other than the content? cuz I really do remember loving it, although I was 12 at the time. Still love money tho. Also, I realized that about 6 flags, but I was hoping to squeeze it in anyway (the 'just 15 minutes east' that they claim suckered me in). The metro would take about 2 hours according to rideguide and that's if there was full service. Since Sunday is the best day for me to go, would it make sense to try to get a taxi at the Addison Road Metro Station since that's the last stop before transferring to the bus if there was one?)

laurelt: As mentioned by rkkwan, I was referring to the self proclaimed city's 'best kept secret' which is the aquarium in the basement of the commerce building. it sounds interesting just to see it for what it evidently is and that's why I planned little time for it as it were. I would love to go to the one in Baltimore but have no idea how to really get there, so that's another day for me. And the entire trip is me alone.

MikeT May 7th, 2004 02:06 PM

If you are into money, then maybe it's worth it. As an adult, I don't find it that interesting, especially not interesting enough to get up early to get a ticket. <g>

It would be much much cheaper to take the Subway to Addison Road and catch a taxi. The 15 miles from DC is deceptive since you are on one end of DC at the zoo and 6 Flags is way out in PG county. It's a good 30-45 minute car ride.

LaurenSKahn May 7th, 2004 04:16 PM

You know I live here and I have never heard of Snore 'n' Roar. Do you sleep overnight at the Zoo? That sounds like a blast.

You have planned way too much and the logistics are terrible because, for example, the medical museum is way out of the way (although accessible by Metro). I would skip 6 Flags because all amusement parks are fairly similar. You would be much better off concentrating on the unique things DC has to offer.

I find the Bureau of Engraving a Snooze (maybe a Snore), but people are different.

Metro is, by the way, running on Sunday, but the trains are less frequent.

The Newseum in Rosslyn, VA, has closed. A new Newseum is going to be built in DC but construction is barely started. You can put that off your itinerary because, at present there is no Newseum.

The Children's Museum is mainly geared for preschoolers, so please keep that in mind.

If you really do your entire itinerary, you may go home on a stretcher. Remember it is supposed to be a vacation, not a forced march. :-)

LN May 7th, 2004 04:32 PM

Hi

National Aquarium is in the basement at the Commerce Dept. People have found it enjoyable and others found it small in comparison to Baltimore.

6 Flags started as a waterpark and to get from Addison road to Mitchellville on any day via cab might be a bit difficult.

Why not try to see everything on your list and then if you've time then take a train up to Baltimore and see the Baltimore Aquarium.

Washington's a great city to visit - enjoy!!

bradk May 7th, 2004 07:11 PM

Yes, the Snore & Roar is an overnight excursion at the zoo. Details are here: http://natzoo.si.edu/ActivitiesAndEv...ties/SnoreRoar. I actually originally intended to become a member and go on the 11th which has extended hours for members only, but after poking around a bit, I found the SnR and it just so happened the exhibit with my favorites (the great cats) was available on the 6/12 and the original signup date was postponed (i would have missed it), so i took it as a sign.

The issue with the metro on sunday for 6 flags is that there's a bus i need to connect with at addison and that evidently doesn't run on sunday. however, i've began to realize a lot of places in DC are open on sunday, so i might be able to switch a day around so I can get to 6 flags completely via metro. i guess i've realized trying to get their on a sunday is just not a smart idea.

I know the Newseum is closed, but I'd like to visit Freedom Park which I believe is right next to the old location. The place with a good chunk of the berlin wall and statues of Lenin and all that I believe.

and as far as the museum of health & medicine, I have it there because i don't think the other things will consume a lot of time (i know the children's museum is for kids, but i'm still eager about the be&p, so you know where my mindset is). I actually primarily want to see the Chuck Jones exhibit and I think an hour there is probably generous, so I figure I should have plenty of time to taxi to the museum (the nearest metro is like 1 1/4 miles away according to my info) and back to union for the night tour. I think by most other accounts 2 hours is a lot of time to kill @ Union too, so I'll have even that much more time available to me.

LN: That's actually a great idea. If I throw 6 flags away, that'll free a day up and I just checked amtrak and it's about $30 roundtrip, so it really might be worth doing that instead.

thanks again everyone, you've all been very helpful

LaurenSKahn May 7th, 2004 07:25 PM

Freedom Plaza isn't much, and given your busy schedule, I would skip it.

The Snore & Roar looks terrific. I have saved the site and may reactivate my FONZ membership to go to one. The only problem I could see would be that you could hit a hot night during the summer and end up miserable. I guess you have thought about that. What a wonderful activity for kids!

bradk May 7th, 2004 07:48 PM

it makes little sense with the going back and forth, but given that the baltimore aquarium is open until 10, i'm thinking i might want to scrap 6 flags altogether and replace it by going to Freedom Park first thing (i'm going to call Monday re: a tour) and then hope whatever's available from union to penn in baltimore and head to the aquarium for the remainder of the day.

i really didn't give the weather thing much of a thought to be honest. i'm in nyc and know that it's probably gonna be much hotter down there than it is here, so in the back of my mind, i was expecting the worst.. i just need to remember to get myself one of those portable fans just in case.

bradk May 7th, 2004 07:49 PM

that's HOP on whatever's available.. altho i guess i will be hoping something's available too, particularly going back to dc :)

gail May 8th, 2004 01:42 AM

You have left no time to eat lunch or dinner on most days - are you on a diet?

Anonymous May 8th, 2004 02:56 AM

On weekdays, you can travel between Baltimore and DC on the MARC commuter trains, which IIRC the fare is $7 each way.

The National Archives is open later than other places on the mall, so of course it gets really crowded after other places close -- but you'll have no trouble getting in an hour before that!

Ford's Theatre is an actual working theatre, so you can't tour it on afternoons when there are matinee performances -- be sure to check their schedule of performances.

bluestructure May 8th, 2004 03:58 AM

I agree with taking subway out and then taking a cab from addisson rd station. 6 flags is only 10-15 car ride away (6-7 miles) and cab fare would be cheaper.

bardo May 8th, 2004 08:12 AM

1) Six Flags America is the worst theme park I've ever been to in the US (or Canada for that matter). Hard to get to. Way overcrowded (I think they let in twice as many people as it can hold. Lot's of drunk thugs wandering around. Bad, bad, super expensive food. Again, avoid at all cost. I wouldn't return if I was paid to go.

2)Consider checking out the Brand new Science museum (at 6th & E st.)- entrance fee.

3)Consider aslo renting a bike one day. It's a great way to see all the monments which are pretty spread out

skigirl May 8th, 2004 09:10 AM

You should know that there can be quite long lines to get into each Smithsonian museum, as guests go through airport-like security. So you could end up waiting quite some time to get in. THe same is true of some government buildings and monumets. For example we had a timed ticked to do the Washington Monument at 2:00 and it was nearly 3:00 when we finally got in. So - just relax and enjoy yourself and allow some time just to stroll around the monuments and memorials too.

bradk May 8th, 2004 09:15 AM

Yes, thanks to everyone's suggestions and some things I've heard from people in the real world, I'm tossing Six Flags out altogether. I think I'm going to plan on doing the Baltimore Aquarium and Freedom Park on Sunday.

Anonymous: You're right about Ford's Theatre, that did slip my mind. I checked their website and they have a show scheduled until June 6th, so I don't know what's going on after that, but I'll make a note to check.

Bardo: Thanks for the tips. I looked up the museum (the Marian Koshland Science Museum) and it looks pretty interesting. I think it might fit into Thursday okay with the removal of the park.

And as far as eating goes, I really didn't include eating or traveling because it's just a rough guideline (except for ticketed events). Eating shouldn't cost me more than 10 mins anyway, so I should be fine.

rb_travelerxATyahoo May 8th, 2004 01:41 PM

Ambitious plans! Why not make your trip to the Postal Museum a bit later, prior to your Union Station time, as they're next to each other? If you take the MARC train ( http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules...c_schedule.cfm ) the Camdem line will bring you just west of the Aquarium, and Bawlmor is a nice place to visit anyway. However the Camdem line schedules usually aren't as good as the Penn Line. Take that to Baltimore Union Station, then take a "light rail" south to either ConventionCenter or CamdemYard stop.

Near the Koshland Science Museum is the National Building Museum, which I always find some interesting exhibits, and the building itself is worth at least walking into <ouch!>