Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

D.C. Italian Restaurants - I can't decide!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide on an Italian restaurant in D.C. I've read the boards, and checked washingtonpost.com and washingtonian.com, and I can't make that final decision. We're looking for inventive cuisine, NOT southern Italian, good pasta, a nice place but not too expensive ("moderate" or slightly above), not too formal. Location doesn't matter, as we'll take the Metro or a cab from our hotel. We'll have 2 kids (and 4 adults) with us, but they're well-behaved and adventurous eaters. They're not Maggiano's types, but I don't want to subject them to a temple of haute cuisine. I've narrowed it down to Etrusco, al Tiramisu, Luigino, Spezie or Vivo. I've crossed off i Ricchi as being too expensive. Please help me decide...
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM

I've tried Etrusco, al Tiramisu, and Vivo. Of those, both Etrusco and al Tiramisu are very good. Etrusco is a bit more adventurous, with a "trendier" atmosphere, and variations on Tuscan cuisine. Al Tiramisu keeps closer to a traditional Northern Italian menu, and is a bit more traditionally elegant. I would not bother with Vivo - I've not been impressed with the food.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM

i absolutely adore Luigino. They have the best butternut squash ravioli that i have ever had. mmmm. lobster ravioli is good too. service is great. desserts are fantastic.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Not far from Luigino is a place called Tosca which is very good as well.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:43 PM

We are Italian freaks and have tried everything from the kitchen at Galileo (the finest in town) to pizza at Pizza Paradiso at Dupont Circle. The best as far as service, nice casual dining, excellent food and not too pricey for our $ is Primi Piatti located on Pennsylvania at 20th Street (202-223-3600). A good value, not stuffy, and a very nice wait staff. Good luck.