Search

D.C. and Alexandria

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D.C. and Alexandria

Going to be in DC 4/1 - 4/4 and thought about staying in Alexandria in order to save on hotel cost. Is it easy to get back and forth or will we be spending just as much on Uber? If it doesn't make sense to do that, is there a lot to see/do in Alexandria if we spent 1 day/night there and then 2 nights in DC?

And lastly, what area in DC that is near everything but not right in the thick of things? We have been there before and have seen most of the monuments. We are more interested in doing less touristy stuff, good food/drinks, live music, boutique shopping, etc.

Oh and see the cherry blossoms!
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 12:50 PM

If you are in Old Town Alexandria, that has the good food/drinks, live music, boutique shopping, etc. The King Street Metro is at the far end of Old Town (a long walk). Uber in and out of the DC is not too expensive in off peak times.

Carl
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 12:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Pick a hotel within walking distance of the Alexandria Metro station. http://www.wmata.com/rail/station_de...?station_id=48
No need to use Uber or a taxi to get into DC from Alexandria or Pentagon City.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For three nights, I wouldn't split the stay, 1 and 2. You'll waste some of your time dealing with checking in and out as well as transferring luggage.

Where are you considering staying in Alexandria? Many of the places in Old Town are not much less expensive than staying in DC especially if they are close to the King Street station (not the Alexandria station). There are places with an Alexandria address that aren't going to be metro convenient or interesting. So it makes a difference where the hotel is located.

Look at Crystal City or Arlington (Ballston or Courthouse, even Rosslyn) for cheaper than down town DC hotels.

The King Street Metro is at the far end of Old Town (a long walk). Uber in and out of the DC is not too expensive in off peak times.

Agree with your comment about off peak Uber. There is a free shuttle that runs the length of King Street from the river to the metro station.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 02:27 PM

We usually stay at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria. It is just across the street from King St. Metro which gets you downtown easily. It's also a short walk from Old Town where there are tons of shops, restaurants and Pubs

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/...TES/index.html
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 07:05 PM
kja

Your call, and you've been given some great advice!

I prefer to stay in DC itself, and if your goal is to be a bit outside of the very busiest districts, I would look for options in / around Woodley Park.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 08:34 AM

I would definitely not split my time between Alexandria and DC, they're too near each other.

Yes, you will spend more time and money (whether on Metro, Uber or taxis) getting from Alexandria to DC and back every day, but not a ton more, and if you decide to spend a full day (or more) in Alexandria, then staying there would make sense.

There is a LOT to see and do In Old Town Alexandria: historic buildings, shops, restaurants, a nice waterfront, the Torpedo Factory, small charming brick paved streets...

If you stay near the King Street Metro, I doubt you'll save much over a hotel in DC.

In DC, how about staying on a quiet street in Dupont Circle? Ticks the shopping/restaurants requirement, a nice, walkable neighborhood, the Phillips Collection is a great museum, and you can get everywhere else easily. The Tabard Inn is an off-the-beaten-path sort of place that feels like stepping out of time, to me, and it's really inexpensive:
http://www.tabardinn.com
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 08:52 AM

Check out the Woodley Guest House. I have found it to be less expensive than most hotels. The nearest Metro stop is 500 feet from the front porch. It is on the Red line so you may have to switch to get to some sights but it is very quick and easy.

I have stayed there 3 times and once at the W next to the White House. The Woodley seemed just as accessible to sights and much more comfortable. The neighborhood is just the right amount of quiet in the evening but has plenty of restaurants to choose from.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 09:37 AM

I think it's a bad tradeoff for a couple days to stay in Alexaandria to save money unless it is Old Town, but I suspect it's not as there are lots cheaper hotels throughout the independent city of Alexandria which is quite large and goes all the way to Landmark. Given Old Town Alexandria wasn't mentioned, I bet it's a hotel elsewhere. And Old town isn't cheap.

YOu can easily look at a map even on Google and find metro stops, there are several in Alexandria City but all on the eastside (eg, Braddock Rd, Eisenhower and King St). If it isn't near one of those, I wouldn't stay there.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Wow these are great suggestions! Thanks!