Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Czech-American neighborhood or shop in NY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend is visiting from the Czech Republic and I am looking for a neighborhood, restaurant or shop for her to visit. Any ideas? We live in NJ in a suburb of NYC.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 11:56 AM

There is a Czech restaurant in Queens that is supposed to be good and frequented mostly by Czechs.

Zlata Praha
28-48 31st St between Newtown and 30th Aves
718-721-6422
From manhattan take the N or W to 30th Avenue
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 11:57 AM

There used to be a Czech restaurant in Astoria named Zlaha Praha on 31st Street between 30th Avenue and Newtown Avenue. You might get some suggestions if you call St. John Nepomucene Church on 1st Avenue and East 66th Street in New York City because a large majority of their parishioners are Czech and they offer masses in the language. The number is (212)734-4613.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:15 PM

One question-why?

When I travel in Europe, I'm not interested in looking for an American neighborhood, restaurant or shop.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the restaurant name and especially the church. I hadn't even thought about a church.

The reason why I am looking for Czech-American places is because my friend will be staying with us until next summer. #1 she is a bit homesick, and #2 I would love to visit a Czech-American shop or restaurant or church with her.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 03:13 PM

Zlata Praha is still there. Also, a place called Milan's restaurant is somewhere in Brooklyn. I attend both the Slovak & Czech fairs in NJ & NY every year. There are always a bunch of booths at the festivals, run by restuarants located in Brooklyn & Queens. Astoria has a section with Czech grocery shops, where you can buy ethnic foods & other items. Of course, the Czech beer sold here is NOT the same!

You should visit the Czech Center, located at the corner of 83rd & Madison, in Manhattan. They have lots of info, and they also have an email list that will keep you informed of Czech cultural events throughout the NY area. They host the annual street fair, and host movies, recitals, art gallery displays, etc.. www.czechcenter.com

I hope your friend has a great stay here! I have been to Prague 7 times, and the people there are first rate! Hope she finds Americans to be the same...

PS: I'm in Princeton, so if she wants to give me some Czech language & cooking lessons, & talk about Prague, etc, let me know! [email protected]
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

amp322: Hey, thanks for the information. I will give my friend, Radka, your email and let her get in touch. You have been extremely helpful. We actually live near Red Bank, so we are not too far from Princeton..
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:58 PM

Great. There are also many "Eastern European" restaurants in NJ, such as the Blue Danube in Trenton. There is also one in South Jersey, near Marlton, called the Red Hen (I think that's the name). Anyway, say "Dobry Den" to Radka. I have a busy month, since I am a music teacher & musician (Christmas is prime time in my field!), but my schedule will lighten up eventually, and I would love to meet & make a new Czech friend! Take care - Ann Marie