CW for a family of 6

Search

CW for a family of 6

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CW for a family of 6

Any suggestions for accomodations for a family of 6 in/near Colonial Williamsburg? First time visitors with older kids that may do some exploring on their own so would like location to be near the C.W. Would like breakfast included.Or would consider a condo unit. Also flying from Chicago would arriving in Newport News be an O.K. idea? Thank you for all help!!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you looked at Kingsmill resort? It's pricey but it may be worth it for you in the end. There are shuttles there to Busch Gardens, CW, and I believe Water Country. That way if the younger kids poop out, the older ones can get a shuttle back later. There are also a lot of kid activities including a day camp, beach, fishing, kayaking, game room, indoor pool, indoor basketball, etc. The units are huge and have full kitchens so you can save some bucks feeding that crew.

Newport News (phf) is your best option.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM

OOOpps! Just noticed your screen name. If you are coming for the tournament, you'll never get into Kingsmill. Some of the timeshares are condos but I don't know it they have shuttles. There are a lot of suites hotels in town. Only the one that was a Sheraton was close to CW. I don't know if it is still a Sheraton. It's on Rt 60.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

No, we're coming for a tournament. Just a casual family vacation. Is there something going on at the time that would make it extra busy?
Thanks for your Kingsmill resort idea and Sheraton. How is the Embassy Suites there? Is it very close to CW?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Sorry forgot to say when we are coming. Planning for Aug. 4 - Aug. 11.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM

The Michelob Ultra LPGA Tournament at Kingsmill is the 2nd week in May. Normally it affects Kingsmill and only the closest hotels but this year it is the same weekend as the Jamestown celebration so town will be crazy!!

The Embassy Suites are not walking distance to CW. I wouldn't recommend it anyway because a recent post by a Fodorite mentioned bed bugs there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM

It's not a condo, butI would try staying in one the Colonial Williamsburg hotels. The Williamsburg Lodge (some suites) has just gone through renovation I haven't stayed there in a year - we stayed at the Providence Hall wing of the Inn) and should be perfect since it is just walking steps from the historic area. I do believe that have packages for room, breakfast, etc. The kids could explore to their hearts content.
I suggest to log onto the Colonial Williasmburg website and look at ALL the things going on there. Lots of stuff for kids to see and do - young and older. Kingsmill is a terrific idea, too, great golf and beautiful.
And you won't want to miss going to Yorktown and Jamestown. This is a big year for Jamestown. August will be hot and humid. There's so much to do: Busch Gradens, and Water Country will be in full operation in August. You can't help but have a great time with a little planning ahead of time to find out what is happening there. Google Colonial Williamsburg and go from there. Enjoy!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Newport News / Williamsburg (phf) airport is the closest to Williamsburg, maybe 20 minutes once you are on I-64. It is a small modern airport, no crowds, easy to get in and out of. Norfolk (orf) or Richmond (ric) airports probably put you 45 minutes to an hour drive to Williamsburg. Often one of the three airport choices has a substantially better deal than the others at any given time, so if you are trying to save money and don't mind a drive, you may want to check our orf and ric as viable alternatives.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:32 AM

One caveat because of your August dates. To get from orf to williamsburg, you have to cross the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel which can get hopelessly clogged on weekends because of the VA. Beach traffic.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
dgg

The Embassy Suites is fine, especially with a family of 6. Breakfast and cocktails are included. Most of the places around CW are chain type motels off highways. If you want to let your teenagers out to explore, I would suggest staying in one of the CW properties. We flew in to NN last summer. I think that's the closest commercial airport. My husband had to leave out of Norfolk and it was a bit of a drive if I recall correctly.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:28 AM

Last Sept we had the combination ticket:Governor's Inn(breakfast included-buffet)-and the Historic triangle.Check out the Williamsburg site.Paul
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Look into Southwest Airlines-- They have a direct flight from Midway to Norfolk. The little bit longer drive might be worth not having to change planes.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM

You should definitely stay in the Williamsburg Lodge or Williamsburg Inn. Both are great hotels on the border of the historic area within easy walking distance of Merchants Square.

Perhaps stay in two rooms in the Tazewell wing of the Lodge? Tazewell features large room with a sleeper sofa and two sinks (one outside the "bathroom"). Four children should be comfortable in a Tazewell room.

Be sure to start your visit at the Visitors Center. Don't miss the short movie "A Story of a Patriot." It's old and, yes, cheesy, but it really sets the mood for your visit to the historic area.

Enjoy CW!

(None of the "off-site" motels on 60 are within walking distance of the historic area/Merchants Square.)