Moving to Florida from Illinois, looking for work in Psychology field,

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! I'm writing this forum because I'm hoping to get back any useful advice about what I should do with my situation, which is this: I'm 22 years old, I just graduated with a BA in psychology and I want to move to Sarasota or Clearwater, FL. I'm looking for work in Psychology, so case management, youth worker, mental health; these sorts of areas. I'll be moving with my boyfriend (27) who didn't go to school, but has experience with siding and window installation, along with car dealer management. We have friends in sarasota that would let us stay for a bit to find work if we needed it. We have about 13 thousand saved and aren't scared to take the risk to move without work, but we don't want to waste all our savings. I've been looking for a job from Illinois and have had many nibbles, but no for sure interviews established. Many employers have called and have asked to set up interviews, but as soon as I respond with my availability or try to call them back, they disappear. We're highly considering just taking the risk and moving without having jobs in hopes that they'll come faster once were there. But, some first hand experience would be helpful. Anything about the Sarasota, Clearwater economy and lifestyle? Anything about work in Psychology; pay expectations or jobs I should or should not be focused on? Anything about costs of living or how much we should expect to spend on all this? Really, any information is helpful. Thank you!
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:24 PM

While there may be some folks on here that live in the area you are looking for, this is first and foremost a travel board.

Try looking at:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sarasota-Florida.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Clearwater-Florida.html

Google is your friend.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:53 PM

If you are going to wing it, you are at the right age to do it. Go for it! You may end up doing something other than what you really would like to do, but such is the job situation for college graduates in many fields right now.

I really like Clearwater/St Pete area and make sure I get there on a vacation at least once a year, sometimes twice.

A friend left our small Illinois town for Florida to find work and has had her ups and downs. She is not your young age though.

Good luck to you.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 03:01 PM

I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do with a BA in psychology. Most of the opportunities that I'm aware of (school counselor etc) require an MA at least - although FL might be different. As for being some sort of therapist that is definitely an MA at least if you expect insurance coverage (and most people require that) and preferably a PhD.

You would definitely qualify for social work - but I don't know the market for that is FL and generally the pay and conditions are abysmal.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 03:04 PM

Sorry - if you just graduated your university should have a lot of links and placement opportunities to share with you. Even if a different area it gives you a couple of places to start looking.

One of my suitemates in college was a psych major - but also took a minor in elem ed - since she knew she wanted to work before going on to her masters.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You would definitely qualify for social work

without being a Masters-prepared and licensed social worker I kinda doubt it.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM

I will tell you however that unemployment is a problem in Florida. Besides an economic down turn there are layoffs in the the Space Coast area. A good many looking for jobs and many older workers as well. That in fact is what our older daughter has faced in the Cocoa Beach area. I'm not sure you have a marketable degree in psychology but then what do I know. Good luck!
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:59 PM

Sorry - I don't know details of social work hiring on a state by state basis. I do know from a relative that in some places they are desperate to find people - perhaps at an assistant level while getting their MA.

My understanding from other family members in the NY area is that you need a masters to do almost anything and a PhD for a lot of openings.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 05:15 PM

You'd be surprised how fast $13,000 will go.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Ummmm, join the other thousands looking for work--not just in psychology. I find this absolutely amazing.
Have you done any work with your graduating university, whatever that may be, with finding any kind of employment==of any kind.
Your degree in psychology is about as useful as any in liberal arts/English/anthropology. Just find a job.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM

You'll find it infinitely easer to find a job if you are living in the area rather than trying to line up something long distance. Many employers are inundated with requests from people saying the want to move to Florida but never actually show up - which leaves employers in a lurch so they tend to hire people already living in the area. That's why the leads you are getting "dry up" once you tell them you coming down some time in the future.

Now, as a recent graduate you don't have much "real time" experience in your chosen field so you'll be looking for entry level jobs - again doubtful employers will express much interest in someone living in another state for entry level positions. They are going to look for people who can fill any vacancies "now" not "later". These jobs will most likely be at the low end of the salary spectrum

Another difficulty is the current economy - there's high unemployment in Florida - that doesn't mean it's impossible to find employment but rather there's a lot of competition so you have to make yourself as marketable as possible.

Your "nest egg" of $13,000 will give you a small cushion while you search for employment but make sure you set a time limit that you'll be "staying with friends". They will incur some added expense having you live with them so some of your money is going to have to help defray their "living costs" - consider the money you give them toward household expenses "rent".

Before you make a permanent move - do some very thorough research to determine what salaries will be for jobs you are qualified to fill. Also check out housing costs as well as utility prices and food costs so you can determine if you can afford to live on the salary you'll be earning. $13,000 may seem like a lot of money to a recent graduate but but it can disappear very quickly if you don't have a workable budget.

Good luck following your dream.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 07:29 PM

<Many employers are inundated with requests from people saying the want to move to Florida but never actually show up>
This is true.

I live in Florida, in Tampa. Clearwater and Sarasota have, in general, a higher cost of living than areas in, say, the center of the state, because they are on the Gulf Coast--I assume this is a large part of the reason you want to be there, too. Both areas are home to lots of older folks, so the health care field is always a safe bet for employment. I don't know if your degree qualifies you for work in health care, even peripherally.

The public school systems don't spend much per student in either Pinellas or Sarasota Counties. But I don't know specifics about how hard it would be to be hired by them. Honestly, there must be a source other than this board that can advise you about jobs in your degree field.

The good news about living on the Gulf Coast is that jobs in the service industry are plentiful. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a job waiting tables or the like while you search for something better. The real estate market has risen in some areas of the state, but not all. There is a lot of competition for jobs in the building industry.

The lifestyle? It's coastal Florida--warm weather and white sandy beaches as far as the eye can see. $13k will go fast, but perhaps you could set aside no more than half of it to go stay with your friends and see if you can make a go of it. Save the rest in case you have to return to Illinois?
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 03:21 AM

"I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do with a BA in psychology. Most of the opportunities that I'm aware of (school counselor etc) require an MA at least - although FL might be different. As for being some sort of therapist that is definitely an MA at least if you expect insurance coverage (and most people require that) and preferably a PhD."

That is 100% correct. You would have better prospects with a MSW and a FL license (LCSW). (I am a retired clinical psychologist).

Old Jun 17th, 2014, 07:26 AM
OO

I have a BA in psych, and yes, it's pretty useless unless you go on to graduate school, which, by that time, I had no interest in...at least not in Psychology! I became a social worker, working for the city of Norfolk (VA). You did not need an MSW, at least not at that time. Because of my undergraduate degree, my caseload consisted of mostly mentally disabled clients, which was right up my alley, but the downside was that I was working for the city so that caseload was humongous, and there was scant little time to be as effective as one would like.

If possible, explore this avenue before moving, if only too learn if the opportunity still exists today, and then realize these jobs don't pop up everyday, and you may have to bide your time doing something else until one does. When DH and I moved from Norfolk to Baton Rouge, there was no availability in that field, and as broke newly weds, I needed a job post haste.. As a result, I left social work and became an adjuster for an insurance company, (another possibility). The opening came months later in social work, but it was too late. Did not feel it would be fair, after the money they had invested in my training (weeks in Dallas), to leave them...so there I was.

We lived in Tampa for 9 years, and now live in St Pete half of every year. We love the area, but if you lived in Sarasota, a job in Tampa would be a hard commute! In social work for the city or state, I would think your opportunities would be greater in the Tampa/St Pete area than in Sarasota. A commute from Clearwater or St Pete into Tampa can be a rough commute, but very doable. Best of luck to you--hope you find your niche.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 11:54 AM

I admire your spirit and wish you the best! One other thing to consider is that wages will be much less in FL than they are in IL. I have spent a lot of time in the Sarasota area and love it and my sister has a house in Venice, south of Sarasota. She lives and works in NJ as a nurse and she would love to move to FL but the salaries are so much lower that she just can't do it.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:07 PM

>

Usually you'd need an MSW, not just a BA in Psychology. Each state also has its own licensing requirements, which are governed by a state administrative agency with authority to set standards in the field. A BA is fairly useless for serious professional work. If you really want to pursue the field, you're going to have to engage in more study.

Honestly, Psych is seen as a gut major for students just lounging their way through to a degree and a way to get the BA en route to something else. Which is why so many Psych BAs go to law school.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! and while I do realize their are other ways of getting this message out there (LinkedIn, FB, citidata, etc) I've tried them all, and the response is useless. I'm trying everything now, sorry.
Those of you who mentioned further education for psychology, thank you. This I am well aware of and am planning for as well. I want to go to graduate school to pursue a career in counseling. I know a BA is almost useless. I need a MS if I ever wan to do anything serious with decent pay.
Many mentioned that 13k will go fast and I know. However, I will be traveling to FL alone to look for work first, to scout locations, search for apartments, etc, while my boyfriend stays and works. This way we still have good money coming in while I'm over there.
For everyone else, thank you for your advice, suggestions and for sharing some personal experience.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Good luck! I bet you'll be fine--after all, you are supporting yourselves now, right? And you are a 22 YO with $13K savings. That's remarkable.

Your boyfriend will probably find work quickly; reliability is the best asset for blue collar workers and if he's been holding jobs as you say he'll quickly prove his value to a new employer willing to try him out. So you'll get by until you find something yourself. Searching for your first job in FL won't be markedly different from searching for it in IL and you have nothing to lose by moving because you haven't built up contacts, a home, etc.

Take the leap!
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:57 PM

What schlegal1 said--and best of luck to you! Sounds like you have a solid plan!
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

schlegal1,
Thank you very much for the motivation. And although I would like to say were supporting ourselves now, were not. We still live with family and this will be our first time moving out (his really, I've moved around a lot)and in with a significant other. We pay a lot of our own expenses now, but more will definitely be added to the mix once we move. But youre right, we dont have a home, a strong network, children, or anything else that would be a reason to stay. I also think youre right about my boyfriend finding work. He's a hard and dedicated worker, who's willing to put up with a lot of s*** if needed. and with 2 people working, i think we'll be fine. I think we know it might be easier for him to find work, thats why im the focus right now, since im the one with the degree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -