Cumberland Island

Feb 1st, 2002, 06:13 AM
melinda

Cumberland Island

Hello, everyone! Does anyone know anything about the Greyfield Inn or Cumberland Island in general? I am looking for accomodations for 30 people....St. Mary's is also an option. HELP!!

Feb 1st, 2002, 06:54 AM
A.M.

Hello Melinda,
I have stayed at the Greyfield Inn.
Cumberland Island is one of my favourite destinations. Very few people live on the Island. The Carnegies, Rockerfellers donated it to the Park service many years ago. There are a few mansions left and some family members still live there. Greyfield is one of the Carnegie homes. The beaches are pristine, the atmosphere is lazy. No cars allowed on the island and no stores. The Inn, therefore, is all inclusive. It contains wonderful family antiques. It is very difficult to get a reservation! You get there by boat from St. Mary's. There is camping allowed on the other side of the island with # restrictions. I suggest you definitely go, but not in the summer, very hot, the Inn is air conditioned, but not well. It is a wonderful place and until John Kennedy Jr.'s wedding, a well kept Georgia secret.
Hope your plans work.
A.M.

Feb 1st, 2002, 09:09 AM
Lorraine

How does one get to Cumberland Island-Do you fly into Atlanta? and then from the airport-how do you get to St. Mary's?

Feb 1st, 2002, 09:27 AM
Meredith

To get to Cumberland Island, fly into Jacksonville, not Atlanta. From the Jacksonville airport, I would estimate that St. Mary's/Cumberland is only about a half hour north on I-95, if that.

Feb 1st, 2002, 09:44 AM
lorraine

This is a stupid questions but Jacksonville, Florida?

Feb 1st, 2002, 10:01 AM
A.M.

Hello Lorraine,
Yes Jacksonville, FL. You can do a search at maps on us for driving directions from Jacksonville, keeping in mind that the boat to Cumberland only leaves 2x daily. There is a Cumberland website that explains all that.
A.M.

Feb 1st, 2002, 11:32 AM
melinda

Thanks for the infor about Greyfield and how to get there! Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay on St. Mary's? (just in case Greyfield is too expensive for us...)

Feb 1st, 2002, 02:54 PM
OliveOyl

Greyfield has only 17 rooms, so availability could be a problem for your sized group. It's expensive to boot--$290 for the least expensive room on up to $400 something for the most expensive, and last I knew there was a two night minimum. Their ferry leaves from Fernandina Beach, FL, (Amelia Island area). The ferry that takes campers and day tripers to the other section of Cumberland leaves from St. Mary's, GA.

Feb 1st, 2002, 07:16 PM
A.M.

Hello Olive,
Yes, you are correct, my mistake. It is from Fernandina to Greyfield and there are now 3 departures rather than 2. We have camped many years ago and stayed at the Inn last year. The website is www.greyfieldinn.com in case I have made other mistakes. By the way the cost, which IS expensive, does include all meals and many extras.
A.M.