Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   CT to Long Island via Ferry (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ct-to-long-island-via-ferry-936086/)

jedivader May 22nd, 2012 07:45 AM

CT to Long Island via Ferry

My wife and I will be in CT for a few days and are thinking of taking the ferry over to Long Island since we have never been to that area of NY. Figured we would make a day trip out of it, head over there first thing and come back in the evening. I'f looked at the ferry webpage but just wanted to get anyones take on the use and experience of the ferry. Looks like Point Jefferson would be the logical ferry instead of the Orient. Have not looked up things I'd want to do while in Long Island, so I guess it would depend on what areas we'd spend our time. Maybe take one ferry in and the other out.

The cost seems a bit high, around $70 for two adults and a car. Not sure if that is round trip or one way.

Our base for the trip is the Hartford area.

bennnie May 22nd, 2012 09:25 AM

If in Hartford and you just want to take a day trip, I suggest going out of New London to Orient Point. It puts you close to vineyards on the North Fork and you can take another little ferry over to Shelter Island, then another over to the south fork and Sag Harbor and the Hamptons. The little ferries are only a 5 minute ride at most. Its kind of fun. but roundtrip for car, driver and passenger on just the Cross Island ferry is $130.

emalloy May 22nd, 2012 09:34 AM

I have only done the ferry round trip from New London to Orient Point and back . It is a very pretty ride and if you are interested in visiting the east end of Long Island - the Hamptons, Montauk, Shelter Island, etc. it is very convenient and makes for a nice day trip. If you are thinking of going to NYC then take the train from New Haven or one of the stations nearer the city and use public transportation in the city. I- 95 is nasty and parking in the city is expensive. We did go to the Oyster Bay area once to visit T. Roosevelt home and just drove there from CT crossing before the city and then drove out to Orient Point for the ferry back to New London which was a long ride as I remember, but made for a fine day trip. The web page for the ferry gives costs and it may vary depending on the time of year you are going.

nytraveler May 22nd, 2012 10:10 AM

If you are planning on going in the summer you may want to contact the ferry companies and see if you need a reservation. They can hold a limited number of cars and I have seen long lines near Orient.

jedivader May 22nd, 2012 12:15 PM

Going in two weeks.

Do not plan on going int the city. We just thought about Long Island for a day because we have never been.

Bennie: what would be the cost of doing all the ferry stuff you are talking about?

330east May 22nd, 2012 08:15 PM

I would concur w/ posters who recommend New London to Orient Point. Google Cross Sound Ferry. Their site also I think has touristic info.