Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Crystal city safety (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/crystal-city-safety-679817/)

cgkpt Feb 14th, 2007 12:39 PM

Crystal city safety

Planning a pleasure trip to DC. Is the Crystal City area safe? I know from previous experience that it is on the Metro & there are several hotels there.

Also considering Hamilton Crowne Plaza at 14th & K streets - but I know nothing about this area.

Will be with my husband but still concerned about safety.

Thanks.

kayd Feb 14th, 2007 12:47 PM

Anyplace in DC or Arlington that a tourist is likely to go is safe. The only area to avoid is the hotels on NY Ave NE.

repete Feb 14th, 2007 01:00 PM

Cystal City is safe but pretty boring ...

14th and K is a much better area with a fantastic restaurant right across the street (DC Coast) with others nearby and an easy walk to the White House. It's also a little hike to the mall .. but perfectly do-able on a nice day.

Ackislander Feb 14th, 2007 01:56 PM

I was going to say, the only danger in Crystal City is dying of boredom. This is conference and meeting territory with a good admixture of people doing business with the government.

That said, it might be a good place to look for a cheap weekend rate on Priceline because it is on the Metro.

MoonGirl Feb 14th, 2007 07:26 PM

What are your criteria other than "safe" and near a metro? There are a bizillion hotels meeting that description, many of which will be located in areas more interesting than Crystal City. If you got some fantabulous rate, it might not be the worst area to stay in, but I certainly would not start a hotel search there.

Dukey Feb 15th, 2007 12:12 AM

You might also consider staying in Rosslyn. On the Metro and a short walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown.

There is actually a "restaurant row" in Crystal City as well as some restaurants at the Fashion Center but other than that it might be too quiet for you, especially after things in the "underground" close up.

carolyna Feb 15th, 2007 04:49 AM

The positive thing about staying in either Crystal City or ROsslyn is that the rates are MUCH cheaper. If you don't care about ambience where you are sleeping and plan to spend most of your time seeing the DC sights, either would be great--find a hotel near a metro stop and you don't even have to fool with the evils of DC driving and parking.

rm_mn Feb 15th, 2007 09:44 AM

Very good point, Carolyna. We stayed in a motel in Arlington. They had a shuttle that would take us to the airport and drop us within 100 yards of the Metro station. After a day's sightseeing, all we wanted was a hot meal and a bed for the night. Take the Metro back to the airport and catch the shuttle back. Some of the time we ate right at the motel so we didn't have to go anywhere else.

MoonGirl Feb 17th, 2007 11:19 AM

I agree that rates in Crystal City and Rosslyn can often, though not necessarily always, be cheaper. However, the OP did not specify that budget was her primary concern, she only mentioned safety and proximity to Metro. It would be useful to know more before making additional recommendations . . .