Cruise to Haines-Skagway attractions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise to Haines-Skagway attractions

On cruise to Haines. Stopover there from
7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
How does one get into Skagway and what is there to see in this short a time?
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:14 AM

You don't say when you are going, but in season there is a fast ferry that goes between Haines & Skagway. I would do the White Pass Railroad while in Skagway and check out some of the films at the Park Service Office right in town. They also offer a short walking tour that is interesting. Can also take a trip out to the cemetery where Soapy Smith is buried. Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:52 PM

I also recommend the White Pass & Yukon RR trip, and the National Park Service movie, exhibits, and guided walking tour.

The City Hall Museum and Corrington Museum were also worth the time.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:51 AM

When you are docked in Haines, you can take a scenic 15 min. walk to town where there is a wonderful gallery of Eskimo art & carvings called "The Big North".
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 08:02 AM
ALF

I had a similar stopover period, and chose to rent a car with a couple of other people. We drove up the Haines Highway, as far as Haines Junction, Yukon Territory (about 150 miles), then returned. It took about 7 hours and was a beautiful drive. There are a couple of places to rent cars in Haines.

One of the classic things to do is take a tour of the Chilkat Valley to see the thick concentration of Eagles and other wildlife there. I'm sure that your cruise has a tour set up for this.

As others pointed out, you can indeed take a ferry to Skagway, which is a bigger (and, IMO, more touristy) town. The train is a good bet, but again, I would choose to rent a car there also and drive up and over into the Yukon.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 04:32 AM

Another good Haines option is Eco Orca rafting. Yes you get to Skagway via the fast ferry, leaving quite frequently in season. Request the Haines and Skagway visitor guides- plenty of information. Also consider heading to your library and taking out all the Alaska tour books, especially Frommer's and Fodor's are books with good concise information.