Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cruise Formal Attire - Is it Enforced? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cruise-formal-attire-is-it-enforced-380061/)

travel333 Jun 16th, 2008 04:16 PM

Cruise Formal Attire - Is it Enforced?

We are going on a Princess cruise to Alaska and were wondering if formal attire is strictly enforced? Specifically, do men have to wear tuxes or dinner jackets? Will a sport jacket work or simply a nice shirt and slacks?

crefloors Jun 16th, 2008 04:49 PM

Sport jacket and slacks are MORE than fine. I was an a Pricess Alaska cruise last Sept. and there were really very few people really dressed to the nines. I wore black pants and a beaded knit twin set. It was fine. I had two different sets, same pants and I never felt out of place.

boots08 Jun 16th, 2008 06:50 PM

Are you referring to the formal nights, Travel333, or all nights?

There are usually two formal nights on a week's cruise, where the women wear gowns and cocktail dresses, and the men wear suits, a few of them tuxes.

Outside of those nights, most men wear dinner jackets or shirts with slacks.

Dukey Jun 17th, 2008 03:17 AM

After 15 cruises here is MY answer: a lot of the women will dress UP.

Men will wear anything from a dark suit to a sport coat and trousers to a tux.

No, none of them will be turned away.

TTess Jun 19th, 2008 12:36 PM

Dukey is right on the money.

Waldo Jun 19th, 2008 12:38 PM

No jeans?

Marginal Jun 19th, 2008 12:54 PM

This Formal night stuff on cruises sounds very antiquated and depressing. It doesn't make me want to ever take a cruise.

newbie_barbie Jun 19th, 2008 01:00 PM

There are many cruises that don't have formal night or if they do, have alternate dining that can be done on that particular night. Hope this makes sense. Oh, but definitely no jeans on those nights!

travelinwifey Jun 19th, 2008 01:46 PM

You can wear jeans every night except formal night, however I did see a man in a dress shirt and jeans not be turned away on a prior Alaska Princess cruise. Whatever you do, don't ask this on Cruisecritic, you will be eaten ALIVE.

The buffet is set up nicer on those nights and there are waiters to get your beverages.

rncheryl Jun 19th, 2008 02:12 PM

We were on a Princess cruise to Alaska a year ago. I had black pants and dressy blouses with a shawl. My DH had nice slacks with a button down shirt and a sweater. He did not take a jacket or tie. We were completely comfortable with that arrangement. (Plus saved more suitcase room for warm clothes)

FainaAgain Jun 19th, 2008 03:01 PM

With Mr Again we just came from a Princess cruise to Alaska. For a man, any jacket will do. Don't remember seeing anybody without a tie though.

You will not be turned back wearing a shirt and slacks, but will you feel fine without a tie at the table where everyone is formal?

Most of women wore something sparkling. I thought I'm in Vegas :)

bigtyke Jun 20th, 2008 06:37 AM

We did a Princess cruise to Alaska in 2002. We always ate at the (very nice) buffet and never dressed up. Perhaps if you eat in the dining rooms , there is a dress standard.