Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Crowne Plaza Resort, Hilton Head, thumbs up or down? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/crowne-plaza-resort-hilton-head-thumbs-up-or-down-326374/)

Tiff Jun 11th, 2003 10:42 AM

Crowne Plaza Resort, Hilton Head, thumbs up or down?

We have a voucher for a four day/three night stay here. We were thinking of using it this October, possibly pay more to upgrade the room because the voucher is for standard accomodations.
I have done text searches but not alot comes up for this resort. By name and at their website it looks nice, but wanted/needed your expert feedback.
Thank you!
Also I have heard that October is a lovely month for the South Carolina Coast...

leesimmons Jun 12th, 2003 06:42 AM

To the top...

saltspray Jun 12th, 2003 06:54 AM

Crown Plaza is in Shipyard Plantation near the south end of the island, centrally located to alot of restaurants etc. By all means use the voucher. Oct. is great time to visit, most of tourists are gone and the weather is still warm. Enjoy

Diana Jun 12th, 2003 07:13 AM

I stayed there once for a conference a few years ago and found it vastly overpriced for the quality.
By all means upgrade if you are going to stay there.
The room I had was standard (thanks to my cheapo employer) and over-looked the lovely asphalt parking lot.
I have stayed in very nice Caribbean hotels in an oceanfront room for less than my "pavement view" room set back the company I work for.
October is truly a lovely time of year there, and the resort is very family-oriented. You'll have a nice time. Maybe since it's off-season, you can get a great room at a more reasonable price than what I had.

Tiff Jun 12th, 2003 08:27 AM

Thanks for topping off my post, and thanks for the replies. We'll give it a go, we have always wanted to visit Hilton Head, if anyone has any other "don't miss spots" on the island, such as fine dining that shouldn't be missed, please advise.
Thanks again!

linda8 Jun 28th, 2003 06:28 PM

Rent bikes and try out the many wonderful bike paths. There are many companies locally, and they deliver the bikes to you at no extra charge.
Don't rent through the hotel---expensive, usually. I paid $15 for a 3-day rental.

linda8 Jun 28th, 2003 06:29 PM

Forgot to add to my previous message:
You will find rental companies through the many coupon booklets and travel booklets at Hilton Head. Don't use Coconuts------the owner is a total jerk.

southernbelle Jun 29th, 2003 03:32 PM

Just returned from a 3-night stay there - $140/night on Hotwire and I feel that we overpaid! The rooms are very standard although the service is actually decent, but it's nothing to write home about.

It calls itself "beachfront" but you have to hike half a mile to get there, and the pool was crowded with families w/young children - not too peaceful!

Fortunately, it's convenient to everything on the island, and is next door to the Van Der Meer tennis center which is great! The beach is beautiful so spend your time there!