Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza at UN vs. Crowne Plaza Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 09:18 AM
Ursula

My sister and her husband plan to go to NYC in October. The Crowne Plaza was recommended to them. Now, I found 2 CP-Hotels in Manhattan. One (smaller) near United Nations at 42E the other one (twice as big) on Broadway 770. If my NY map is correct, that's almost in Greenwich Village, right? Which one would you recommend (also transportwise) and for what reason to first-timers/Europeans)? They like to go to museums, nice restaurants, shopping, sightseeing in general. Thanks for your inputs.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 09:22 AM
John

The CP Manhattan is at Broadway and 49th (I think) which is in the theatre district. It's not what I would consider close to Greenwich Village.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 10:29 AM
Caitlin

770 Broadway is in Greenwich Village, but the Crowne Plaza is at 1665 Broadway, as noted above. The theater district location is more "central" to many sights and is easier, transportation-wise, because it's much closer to subway station. The UN location is in a much quieter area than Times Square, something to take into account if street noise is a concern for your sister and her husband. Either location would work well enough for visiting the museums (which are on the East side of Central Park), shopping, etc. Times Square has the slight advantage in accessibility, if they don't mind staying in a very busy area and a large hotel. If, as first-time visitors, they want to be "in the middle' of it all, the Times Square location is definitely preferable.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 12:41 PM
Ursula

John/Caitlin: Thanks for your information. I think they shall decide for the Crowne Plaza at Broadway. I just took the number wrong, that's why I thought it was almost in Greenwich Village. But it's of course very conventient to stay in the middle of all! ... and my map is still ok. I hope to use it soon as well.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 12:42 PM
lynnejenn

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Un on my first trip to NY in 97'and it was great. It was a fair walk down 42nd street to Times Square, but as the previous post said,it is in a quieter and less touristy area. Whearas the Crowne Plaza Times Square is a huge modern building, the UN one is more quaint (it is in an older building, wonderfully restored, and caters more to business travelers...)It also has a tv audio feed in the bathroom which is cool.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Caitlin

I don't want it to sound as if there is no transportation near the UN Crowne Plaza; it's just that it's a few long blocks from the nearest north-south subway, which is on Lexington. Crosstown busses run right by the hotel on 42d St., (you don't hve to walk to the west side) and there are busses running north and south within a block or two from the hotel. The Times Square location is handier if you want to be able to zip all over the city via subway.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Ursula

Caitlin: Thanks again. I think for first-timers transportation is anyway always a bit of a problem in a big city. I found the NYC subway rather confusing compared to cities like Paris or London. But there are maps and one can always ask somebody.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 05:52 PM
annK

Anyone know if the CP at the UN is the old Tudor City Hotel. Stayed there once, and I hope it has been redone, because it was the only hotel room I have ever stayed in that was so small you could use the bathroom, shower and be in bed all at the same time, my closet at home was bigger, lol.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Caitlin

Ursula, your sister and brother-in-law may want to consider using the bus system as well as the subway. I often recommend it to visitors because, while it is slower than the subway. of course, while riding you can see the city, and it is very easy to negotiate. As in Paris, the same tokens and passes can be used for both bus and subway. And of course, New York is a great walking city, as I'm sure you know!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Ursula

Caitlin: I agree with you. Busses are much fun in every city when not a hurry. But it's more difficult to handle for foreigners. If I remember well, busses in NYC go one avenue up and the other down. It's easier than i.e. in Paris.
PS: My sister is now thinking about the "Michelangelo". Have to find out about it. Sounds good but expensive.
Thanks for your inputs.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Caitlin

Ursula, my point was that here, the bus system is easier to understand than the subway system, which is another reason to use it. Above 14th Street, Manhattan is essentially a grid with Central Park popped in the middle, so it's easy to get around in on the street. You're right about the buses going up and down the avenues; all avenues except Park are one way, and buses run on almost all of them, so they're easy to find. Crosstown buses run on every two-way crosstown artery--about every 10 blocks, or a little over 1km. And another bonus with the bus is that, if you're not sure where it goes or which to take, there's a driver right there that you can ask, and they're much more friendly and helpful than the clerks in the subway booths!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Ursula

Caitlin: Thanks, you're so helpful.It sounds as if you you would live in NYC. This is still THE place everybody here wants to go (especially younger people).

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Caitlin

Yes, I do live here in NYC, so feel free to ask any other questions, here or via direct email.