Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Crown Pointe Inn, Provincetown Cape Cod (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/crown-pointe-inn-provincetown-cape-cod-352705/)

Annie09 Aug 28th, 2003 09:34 AM

Crown Pointe Inn, Provincetown Cape Cod

My husband and I are celebrating our 1st anniversary in Cape Cod. We want to stay in an inn, hotel or B&B with a romantic atmosphere. Thus far, the Crown Pointe Inn looks most appealing. Any comments from people who have stayed there? Or any suggestions about a great place to stay?

Gene Aug 28th, 2003 02:48 PM

Hmmm...Fodors says there is one response but I am the first...go figure?

The Crowne Pointe Inn is certainly one of the finer Provicetown Inns and it's location one block from the center of town is ideal.

For romantic atmosphere though my wife and I prefer the Land's End Inn. Perched high atop a hill in the West End this inn has a year-round, day or night spectacular view of Provincetown Harbor and Cape Cod Bay especially from the bay window in the Great Hall.

We have not stayed at the Crown Pointe but took a "hospitality tour" of the Inn with friends. We did stay a weekend at Land's End for our anniversary and highly reccommend it.

I believe both Inns have web sites.

cigalechanta Aug 28th, 2003 04:22 PM

I haven't been for years, use to summer there til it got too expensive and crowded. It this the old "Crown and Anker where I went to tea dances with my friends?"

Annie09 Aug 29th, 2003 07:11 AM

Gene, thank you for the information. After some research on Provincetown, I learned that it has a high gay population. While my husband and I are both liberal and open-minded about alternative lifestyles, we are concerned that we might feel out of place. Can you or anyone else please tell me about your experiences in Provincetown regarding this?

cigalechanta Aug 29th, 2003 08:07 AM

Annie, don't worry lots of straight people live there for instance, some friends of mine, a lawyer and wife, a painter and his poet wife, Norman Mailer and his wife, Norris Church.
It's a creative community and you may even surprise yourself enjoying one of the gay clubs where wonderful interpretation of celebrities, like judy Garland are performed. Race point beach is one of the most beautful beaches in the world. you can rent a bike, there's a bike trail that will make you love nature.

Annie09 Aug 29th, 2003 08:20 AM

Hi Cigalechanta! Can you recommend some good places to eat and give me names of clubs where interpretations are performed? How close is Race Point Beach to Provincetown? Any other "don't miss" attractions?

cigalechanta Aug 29th, 2003 08:59 AM

Annie, we likes the Red Inn but go to this site and punch in guide it will show you lodgings and restaurants.
My husband and I like Ciro and Sal's
Sal's Place, both Italian and at one time were partner's had a falling out and sal left.
The Mews, Pepi's Wharf(nice deck)
Edwige for great Breakfasts, Cafe Blazé for wonderful mud pie desert and people watching
www.ptownguide.com/guide/accommodations.html

Gene Aug 29th, 2003 02:48 PM

Annie: Provincetown is one of the most unique places on earth. For starters: The Pilgrims landed here first (Pilgrim Monument); it's one of the few places on the East Coast where you can watch a sunset over the Atlantic Ocean. It has awesome dunes and beaches; Thousands of tourists of every kind pouring in every day to dine, shop and stroll Commercial Street and you're worried about feeling out of place?

Here are some of my favorite places to eat in no particular order: Bubalas, Lobster Pot, Napi's, Clem & Ursie's.

Race Point Beach is no more than a 10-15 minute drive from the center of town. Herring Cove beach is only 5 minutes away.

One club that offers celebrity acts is the newly refurbished Crown & Anchor that Cigalechanta mentioned.

BrianRiley May 18th, 2004 10:39 AM

cigalechanta:
I'm heading to Ptown this wknd. I heard that Ciro & Sals has a new owner and Sal opened Sals Place.
I only have 1 night there. Would you still recommend Ciro & Sals or Sals?
I'm after ambience and food. I'm a huge fan of their cookbook.
Thx BrianRiley

weezer4u Sep 19th, 2005 01:53 PM

I have stayed at several places over the years and we just got back from The Crowne Pointe Inn & Spa. The place is amazing, has a great restaurant and a relaxing full spa . The Inn is located within walking distance to everything and after a long day of walking head to the spa and relax in the steam room or mineral soaking tub!
We have already made our next reservations for New Years Eve

ringerlu Sep 19th, 2005 03:43 PM

Just to clarify, Crown & Anchor (busy, on main drag) is different than CrownPointe Inn (not on main drag, upscale). If you get to the Lobster Pot, which is a bit lacking in ambiance but abundant with good eats, don't miss the key lime pie. It's my very favorite in the world. Another nice B&B is the Fairbanks Inn.

starrsville Sep 19th, 2005 04:24 PM

Love the Lobster Pot for steamers and lobster! Yummy!

tmichael Sep 23rd, 2006 03:12 PM

I've stayed at the Crowne Pointe numerous times. Its by far the nicest place in town. It has a full service spa and an amazing restaurant (one of the best meals I've ever had in Ptown). Its NOT the Crown & Anchor that's the bar on commercial street with the drag shows. Crowne Pointe is upscale, all welcome and your best bet. Enjoy

yellowbyrd Sep 23rd, 2006 03:35 PM

BrianRiley--Both "Ciro and Sals" and "Sals Place" have been Provincetown restaurants for years. Apparently at one time, at least 10 years ago, they co-owned Ciro and Sals, had a falling out so Sal opened his own place in the west end. Ciro never took his name off the first restaurant which is in the east end. As far as I know Ciro and Sals has not been sold recently....but then again I have not eaten there this year so it certainly could have!

yellowbyrd Sep 23rd, 2006 03:37 PM

Annie09, have you thought of staying in one of the other outer cape towns and just visiting Provincetown? If you stayed in Eastham or Wellfleet, you would be more centrally located and could spend a day in Chatham as well as Provincetown. Just a suggestion!

cigalechanta Sep 23rd, 2006 04:01 PM

Ciro sold his place long ago, opened one in Boston, that folded. Yes Sal and Ciro had a falling out over a woman at that time.