Search

Cross Country Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:40 PM
Rachel

Cross Country Trip

We are planning a cross country trip beginning in North Carolina and travelling west to the Pacific Coast and back home. Does anyone who has made this trip have any recommendations for route(s) to take, must-see sites, motels, restaurants, etc.? Are there places to avoid? My list so far includes the Badlands, Black Hills area of South Dakota, the "Corn Palace", Rocky Mountain NP, and Yellowstone. Is late August and September a good time to go?

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:41 PM
Bob Brown

Given that the Pacific Coast of the United States is something like 1500 miles in length, you are opening up quite a bit of territory. The recommended route to Seattle would be quite different from the route to San Diego.
You have not included several major National Parks on your list that are commonly associated with the American West. These include the parks in Utah - Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef. You could add Mt. Ranier, Mt Lassen, and Yosemit to your list as well.
I would rank any of these parks above the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD, unless of course you have never seen an bird feeder in the form of a building.
I think I could make a few more suggestions if you told me your intended destination on the Pacific Coast.
Yellowstone is a great place, but if you intend on staying in the park itself, I would not wait any longer to make reservations.
If I had a choice of times, I would select September as my month to travel.
The summer crowds are on the decline, and you still have adequate hours of daylight to see the prime attractions.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Rachel

Destination on the west coast is Los Angeles north to San Francisco. We have been to Seattle and San Diego on former trips.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Bob Brown

Where does your trip originate? Mindspring calls to mind Atlanta, but many people use the services of Mindspring.
A route to LA could easily take on a few wiggles and take on the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion in Utah.
Then travel through Las Vegas and on to LA. I think it will be too hot in September to spend much time in Death Valley. I don't like 120 degree temperatures!!
Depending on how much time you have, a detour by Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks is possible.
From San Francisco, you could head for Yosemite Np, and then to Taho.
Depending on how much time you have, you could head for Yellowstone and the Tetons.
From the Tetons, continue south into Colorado and visit Rocky Mountain NP.
The drive over Trail Ridge road is spectacular.
From Denver, it is a straight, boring shot along I 70 to St. Louis. And from there you have a choice of routes back to Georgia. (big assumption here).

As for overnight stays in the parks.
I have two favorite places.
Bryce Canyon Lodge and Signal Mountain Lodge in the Tetons.
You might get lucky and find a place to stay. Yellowstone fills fast and stays full late.
Good luck on your planning.
I will help if I can.
We leave in three weeks for Bryce, Capitol Reef, Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Ann

Don't miss House on the Rock in Wisconsin. We stumbled upon it during a trip from D.C. to Minnesota. Very nifty. It's worth the price of admission.