Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   cross country NY to Alaska (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cross-country-ny-to-alaska-884924/)

JEF Apr 2nd, 2011 04:58 PM

cross country NY to Alaska

leaving from Penn Yan NY to go to alaska. driving through the US to get to alaska when we get to seattle should we take the ferry or drive? what ferry system do I use. Any stops you would suggest along the way. Or any other suggestions anyone has.

dfrostnh Apr 3rd, 2011 01:49 AM

Where in AK are you headed? We took the ferry from Bellingham departing in Skagway. Spent a couple of days and still had a 2 day drive to Anchorage. We overnight in Tok. Because we were in a hurry to get to our final destination we did not stop along the way except for the times the ferry gave us before going to the next port.
The cost of your vehicle depends on its length. DH and DS drove across the US while I flew into Seattle to meet them.

The people I know who have made marathon drives (sharing the driving, hardly ever stopping) are always sorry they did it that way but if you don't have a choice and want to make speed, you do it. Keep in mind that gas stations in Western Canada and AK may have very limited hours at this time of year so you should map out your itinerary.

boom_boom Apr 3rd, 2011 07:41 PM

If this is a round trip, take the ferry from Bellingham...you can drive the return. If a 1-0way you don't need/want to go all the way to Seattle before turning toward the Alaska Highway. Seattle will add at least a day's drive to the trip.

JEF Apr 4th, 2011 06:48 AM

thank you, heading to Fairbanks.This is a one way trip. Where do you suggest instead of Seattle to start heading up?

JEF Apr 6th, 2011 05:02 AM

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. What would be the shortest route from NY to Fairbanks,AK? Leaving the end of May only have ten days to drive there.

ronko Apr 6th, 2011 06:29 AM

Wow quite a driving trip -- I just did a quick search on MapQuest and they suggested a different route -- so you might look at it -- ALASKA HWY E
77 hrs 22 mins / 4430.87 miles

US-30 W to ALASKA HWY E
79 hrs 56 mins / 4522.35 miles

Have a good trip

Ron

tomfuller Apr 6th, 2011 07:03 AM

The Mapquest suggested route goes through Minot, ND crossing the border at Portal. About 72 hours.
If you really want to take the ferry, you can drive 3 hours north from Seattle and catch the ferry from Vancouver BC.

JEF Apr 6th, 2011 09:58 AM

Thank you all for your replies!! I know it is going to be quite a trip, hopefully will sight see on the way if we have time.

Gardyloo Apr 6th, 2011 10:37 AM

<i>If you really want to take the ferry, you can drive 3 hours north from Seattle and catch the ferry from Vancouver BC.</i>

Exactly what ferry would that be?

The Alaska State ferry leaves from Bellingham, WA, about 30 miles south of the border; or one can ferry across from WA or mainland BC to Vancouver Island, drive up to the top, then take the BC ferry to Prince Rupert BC and connect there to the Alaska ferry. Or one can just drive to Prince Rupert from anywhere and catch the same Alaska boat.

Unless you're taking a ferry, going via Seattle adds a lot of miles to the trip; the "start" of the Alcan is in Dawson Creek BC, which is actually several hundred miles east of Seattle or Vancouver (and a long way north.) I'd take I-90 or I-94 to the junction with I-15 in Montana, then head north via Calgary and Edmonton.

If you are contemplating going via Alaska ferry, you'd better make reservations as soon as you know your travel dates; the boats book up fast.

By the way, <i>when</i> would you be making this drive?

JEF Apr 7th, 2011 05:31 AM

Thanks for the info. Leaving the end of May.

michelleNYC Apr 7th, 2011 09:34 AM

All I can say is "wow"... this is one monumental trip.

boom_boom Apr 7th, 2011 01:28 PM

JEF - post a trip report when done. Be interested in your experiences on the Alaska Highway.

JEF Apr 12th, 2011 06:34 AM

Will let you know how it turns out.