Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Creative hygiene practices for train travel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/creative-hygiene-practices-for-train-travel-309617/)

Darvy_Kuntz Apr 22nd, 2003 01:58 PM

Creative hygiene practices for train travel?

Hi,<BR><BR>My husband and I are going to &quot;rough it&quot; as they say and do Europe by rail. We're going to skimp on the hotels and sleep on the train as much as possible. I know this sounds crazy, but we just renewed our vows and want to act like we're in college again!<BR><BR>Does anyone have any creative hygiene practices for such a trip? <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>-Darvy

angeleno Apr 22nd, 2003 02:08 PM

take plenty of baby wipes for your face and personal areas. <BR>

FainaAgain Apr 22nd, 2003 02:09 PM

Darvy, are you watching the news? Do you know what the soldiers in Iraq used? Baby wipes! I'm serious, heard it on CNN. Personally I wouldn't go for baby wipes, but you know those wet face towlettes, they are perfect for travel, I use them for several years now. Good for hands, body refreshing, bathroom. The packages are re-sealable. <BR><BR>I know some people use Febreez, or Feebrez, what's the spelling, not sure how this works. I prefer fragrant spray deodorant. Good for shoes and clothes if needed.

cd Apr 22nd, 2003 02:18 PM

Darvey<BR>My husband and I did this in '88' and had a great time!!! All trains have a rest room with running water. Take really cheap wash rags. The kind you buy in packages 10 for...whatever it is. In the morning, use them to really wash your body and then throw them away. You can then use the baby wipes for touch ups.

SuzieQ Apr 22nd, 2003 02:27 PM

If you have gone a couple of days without washing your hair and it is feeling a bit oily try putting a little baby powder on your brush and brushing it through.

travellyn Apr 22nd, 2003 02:58 PM

We use baby wipes for baths anytime we're camping. (We take enough for 3 per day per person.) We wash our hair in a cooking pot about twice a week. I bet you could find a place to take showers when you need to wash your hair.<BR><BR>Are you really serious here?

Darvy_Kuntz Apr 22nd, 2003 03:43 PM

I'm dead serious.

FainaAgain Apr 22nd, 2003 03:52 PM

She's dead. Let's all get serious.

ParrotMom Apr 22nd, 2003 03:55 PM

Been using the plastic containerof baby wiipes...use them to wipe down toilet seats, refresh hand, face and wherever,, How many times have I gone into a booth and find it missing of toilet paper...lol..You can also take the Cottonelle...and bring a few refills they take less space than the large container of baby wipes. I would now take a small container of Purell..this is what they are presently using in hospitals and nursing homes.

pspercy Apr 22nd, 2003 04:08 PM

Might want to take a universal sink stopper too - those 3 or 4 inch diameter rubberlike discs, in fact take several, you're bound to leave at least one behind by mistake !

BayArea Apr 22nd, 2003 04:10 PM

Wet Ones� makes travel packs of Baby wipes. The pink(fresh), yellow(citrus) and blue(aloe) packages all have a non-baby smell.<BR><BR>The Purell gel is nice in concept, but I find it horribly drying.<BR><BR>Slipper socks with the thicker bottoms are nice for trains as are fleece baby blankets with their diminutive size. Your own horseshoe shaped inflatable pillow will also be more hygenic.<BR><BR>I wouldn't trust tap water on a train any more than I could drop kick a Buick. use bottled water only. Even for face washing and toothbrush rinsing.<BR><BR>If you can let it go til after breakfast, it's easy to brush teeth at sinks in washrooms in museums or restaurants.<BR><BR>Febreeze is an enzyme spray. It seems to work okay, it has a very sweet perfumey smell at first, but this dissipates after a while.<BR><BR>Dryer sheets in the luggage also help keep things smelling fresh.

CAPS_LOCK_WIZARD Apr 22nd, 2003 05:20 PM

YOU CAN DOUBLE THE MILEAGE OF YOUR UNDERWEAR BY TURNING IT INSIDE OUT TO WEAR AGAIN. JUST &quot;FEBREEZE&quot; IT FIRST.

theladyjess Apr 22nd, 2003 05:40 PM

When I go camping I take a small can of Lysol with me. I use it to clean the toilet seat and the floor of showers in public camp grounds. You can also use it to freshen up your clothes, shoes, etc. <BR> Baby wipes or &quot;personal hygiene&quot; wipes that are flushable are good also.<BR>If you can, take a cup or mug with you (or &quot;borrow&quot; one from the dining car). You can use it to wash your hair in a restroom sink. It's much eaiser to fill the cup and pour the water over your head than it is to try and get your head under the faucet. <BR>Darvy- I love your posts, you make me laugh.

Surfergirl Apr 22nd, 2003 05:58 PM

The problem with taking Lysol is getting it on the plane. You can't put arosol containers in checked luggage, and I doubt they'll let you bring it in the cabin. You can, however, buy similar products in Europe.<BR><BR>Darvy -- my husband (and our kid) do this every two years. There are showers on many of the overnight trains and they are wonderful large rooms with plenty of towels. There are also showers in most of the train stations for a small fee. Do bring rubber sandals to shower in to avoid athelete's foot. Get the small Dove liquid soap travel size to take with you, unless your skin can take the hard core soap.<BR><BR>In the compartments, they provide you with bottled water (also soap, towels, and sometimes toothbrushes and toothpaste). I use the bottled water to rinse my contact lenses and brush my teeth. None of the water coming out of the sink or shower is potable.<BR><BR>Otherwise, pick up a few bottles of water at the train station, because they're more expensive on the train.<BR><BR>Would love to hear your experiences, and if you have any questions about trains, let me know.

JackOneill Apr 23rd, 2003 04:10 AM

<BR><BR>Go, Darvy, go.<BR>What you're doing sounds like fun. (When we were kids it was fun as well, but somehow I think it's even more fun to do something off the wall when we get older.)

Connie Apr 23rd, 2003 04:43 AM

They make some larger size &quot;wet wipes&quot; for use with people who aren't mobile enough to get in the tub/shower. I've seen them in the drug store.<BR><BR>Those disposable face washing cloths really lather up and then rinse out to make a wet cloth to rinse with.<BR><BR>Rubber flip flops and liquid bath soap are always good for travel. You don't have to worry about storing that gooey bar of soap. <BR><BR>I love the rubber sink stopper idea. I'll have to add that to my camping list.<BR><BR>It's amazing how much fresher you will feel with a sponge bath out of a sink.

Scarlett Apr 23rd, 2003 05:33 AM

<BR>I think I am too spoiled to do something like this now, but I think it is a great idea and sounds like fun!<BR>How nice that you two are being kids again~<BR>all of these ideas are good for people not taking a train holiday also, very good tips here!<BR>Do keep us up with the travels and how it goes, Have fun!!<BR>Scarlett

GoTravel Apr 23rd, 2003 07:00 AM

Darvy, no offense but, euww, gross.<BR><BR>The sentiment is very sweet.<BR><BR>My days of camping on public transportation ended with college graduation.

Grasshopper Apr 23rd, 2003 09:08 AM

Darvy, Since you're planning to go to Europe this way, I suggest you also post this on the Europe board. Lots of European train experience there.

E Apr 23rd, 2003 03:23 PM

On the reality show Amazing Race (any other Fodorites love this one?), one of the contestants brought paper underpants, a fresh pair for each day, disposable, of course. I have no idea where you get them. She was quite clear that they were NOT diapers.