cousins trip to NYC

Dec 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

cousins trip to NYC

At first, I thought I'd just skip commenting on our trip to NY, but then thought "trips are not always good experiences, so I may as well just comment briefly on ours."

This was definitely my worst trip to NYC. The primary reason was that I was getting a horrible cold when we set out on our trip, but I kept hoping it wouldn't amount to anything. It did, however, and I had no voice, other than a squeak, while I was there.

The secondary reason the trip was so bad was my cousin's inability to walk any distance at all. She had said "as long as I have my cane, I do pretty well." Doing well in the small town where she lives is not the same as "doing well" while walking the streets of NY. It took her about 15 minutes to totter one city block. My pity for her turned to annoyance quickly. We couldn't overcome any "wrench" that was thrown into our planning due to her inability to HURRY. You just can't go to NYC if you can't hurry.

My third cousin kept telling me "we can go back to NY any time, but she'll never get to come back", but all I could think was "I spent about $600 to come to NY during the holidays and I can't even walk along the streets and look at the store windows." I felt victimized, and then ashamed for being such a b****. I know I would have handled it better had I been well. I fell asleep in the Christmas show due to my cold medicine intake and missed the scene of the collapsing wooden soldiers.

We saw Mary Poppins instead of Jersey Boys. The New York Party Shuttle was ok, although we were late getting to the pick-up site (due to cousin) and had to reschedule for the next one. We were late returning to the bus after the first "get out and walk around" due to cousin, so she didn't get off at any of the other stops.

We stopped at the Ground Zero site and were able to contemplate the day that pure evil flew into the city. It is hard to believe that after six years, the man who purportedly planned that horrible day is still unpunished, and we are spending our efforts and money on war with another country.

Oh, enough of this rambling.

Vicki
p.s. I went to Quick Care yesterday and was diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis, but not severe, since we caught it early. I am prone to this.
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM

Sorry your trip had so many problems.

Traveling when you're sick is always the pitts.

I wouldn't say though that you have to be able to hurry to visit New York. My parents (mid 80's) come to visit me in the city several times per year and are able to get around - even though they take their time walking.

But, 15 minutes to walk a block isn't slow - it's incredibly slow. (A normal walking pace is a minute per north/south block). Walking that slowly I can;t imagine she even had enough time to cross the street before the light changed against her.
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM

Vicki,

"As long as I have my cane, I do pretty well" - how far do you think your cousin actually walks in the small town where she lives, not far I'd bet. In spite of her walking problem I hope she did enjoy NYC.

Were you happy with where you stayed? I remember you asking previously about places to eat - how did that work out or were you not well enought to eat?

Get well soon.

Sandy
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM

That stinks, Vicki. Sorry you had such a bad time in such a great city. 15 minutes per block is maddeningly slow -- may as well get a motorized wheelchair -- so I don't blame you for getting annoyed.
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:38 PM

As someone who is in reasonably good (not great) shape and recently in NYC, I can see how things went wrong on your trip. It's a city that takes a good level of stamina. I'm sorry things didn't go well for you Vicki.
Dec 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM

Vicki, I thought about you on Wednesday, NASCAR day. I honestly had never heard of the event until your post but somehow THIS year, suddenly it was a "thing." Traffic was just horrific that whole day. Imagine scheduling the lighting of the Xmas tree at Rock. Ctr. on the same day as a NASCAR race around Times Square!! What were they thinking???? Anyway, I must admit it sounded like a bad omen from the start. The Mildew um, sorry, Milford Plaza, Nascar and limited mobility??? Give me a break! I hope you'll be able to reschedule your trip with your daughter.

What did your cousins think? Did you get to the NASCAR thing?
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

My cousin knew that the NASCAR cars would drive around the city in the 8:00 segment of Good Morning America. So, she and her sister thought that arriving at the studios by 7:45 would allow them a good view of it all. I told them that they should be there by 6:30, at the latest, if they wanted to be close.

Needless to say, the area was mobbed, and they didn't get close enough to see anything or anybody.

My cousin had to take a cab any distance farther than two blocks. A couple of times, my other cousin and I opted to walk. The night before the tree lighting, we walked to Rockefeller Plaza, and cousin and her sister took a taxi. They waited for us inside. While they were waiting, they noticed Nick Lachey leaning up against the wall with another guy. My cousin (not the one with the mobility problems) went up to him and asked if she could take his picture. He said "sure" and opened up his arms and said " come here -- let my friend take the picture so you can be in it, too." My cousin just about swooned. The result -- an excellent picture of the two of them smiling happily. She also got a picture of Al Roker, whom we encountered on the street. Although not quite as friendly as Nick, he "posed" for us -- pointing his finger and winking.

I'm not quite sure what to say about the Milford. When walking down the hall, to our room, I thought "this place STINKS! I can't stay here." And there did seem to be an old, sour, smokey smell. However, inside the room, after setting out my room freshener which I always carry when I travel, I didn't seem to smell anything. The room furniture and lamps were pitiful. Only one lamp worked. The readout of the digital bedside clock was not luminous -- something I don't think I've ever seen before. We had to turn the light on to see what time it was during the night. The bathroom was barely adequate, although it seemed clean, with new-looking shower curtain. The bed was actually pretty comfortable, with better than average pillows! I slept quite well, although I was using cold medicine and was exhausted both nights when I went to bed.

I guess I would give it a C- , grade-wise. If the bed had been uncomfortable, it would have received a D, for sure.

We ate breakfast at Smith's, as per Patrick's recommendation. Our "nice" dinner (?) was at Carmines, where we purchased WAY too much food (two entrees for the four of us, and one salad). And the nice manager struck fear in my cousin's heart by coming up to her and suggesting she take her purse off the back of her chair because it was common for "nicely dressed" people from the streets to walk in and steal purses.

Vicki
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM

Leaving your purse on the back of a rewstaurant chair is an absolute no no - and ot just in NYC or other large cities.

I was eating in a patio restaurant in Greenwich (to those who don't know a VERY upscale suburb of NYC) and some kid on a bike rode right along the sidewalk and snatched a shoulder bag hanging on the back of a chair.

You simply MUST hold on to your belongings in any public place.

I even had a friend have her purse picked in a theater. She set it on the floor instead of holding it in her lap and when we went to have a drink after the show her wallet was gone. So whoever took it got back the $100 for their theater seat, plus extra cash and credit cards. We went back to the theater - but in vain. She was told this wasn't unknown - esp for weekend matinees that get lots of local suburbanites.

Search this Thread