Courtyard, Alexandria, VA (Eisenshower Ave)

Jul 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM
peter415

Courtyard, Alexandria, VA (Eisenshower Ave)

Hi,
We're looking for some feedback or info on this hotel - we have Marriott Rewards and will be staying here in late Sept for 3 nights. We've been to the Washington DC area before and are famiiar with using Metro, etc. We'll be there for a short vacation; taking advantage of a $93 RT from MSP.

1. Other things in close proximity to hotel? Specifically a Target store (or similar) as we have a toddler and I'm thinking about buying a cheap umbrella stroller instead of hauling ours on the plane/train.

2. How is the walk to the Eisenhower Metro station? It appears to be just a couple of blocks....

3. General hotel experiences/impressions.

Thanks.

Jul 15th, 2005, 12:02 PM
emd

I know thatlocation, go by it all the time. It is not the best location but not the worst. To get to metro you go out the hotel, take a right, and cross a long high bridge that goes over several lanes of traffic that feed onto/off of the Beltway underneath the bridge. I'd say the walk is about 10-12 min to the metro. The area across from the metro used to be nothing but a Defense Dept. bldg, the Hoffman Bldg., but it has gotten a very nice facelift in the last few yrs. and is now the Hoffman Center, complete w/a great big screen theater w/like 20 screens. It's our favortie place to see a movie and actually the only place we go since it opened. Several restaurants are now open there, a Ruby Tuesdays, Bread and Chocolate (sandwiches, light entrees, great pastries and desserts), a mexican place that looks good but we haven't eaten there, and a Montana-style red meat kind of place. I think a few more may be open by time you get there. Which is good, because there is nowhere else you can go to eat in walking distance of the hotel. And no Target or other big store for supplies. You could take the metro from Eisenhower to Franconia-Springfield metro station (which I believe would require changing from yellow line to blue line at King St., one or so stops up from Eisenhower, and then going two stops to F-S) and go out that station, cross the street and go to Springfield Mall (a 15 min. walk) as there is a Target there, but it's a bit of a shlump. For other places to dine, you can take metro from Eisenhower up to King St., get off and walk up King St. towards Old Town.
I'd just take the umbrella stroller w/me instead of planning a trip to that mall. There are also no big stores in short cab distance.
Jul 15th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I agree with emd about the Courtyard at Eisenhower Ave. I've stayed there and it's pretty much what you'd expect from a CY.

Have you looked into the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City? If I recall correctly, it's right on top of the Crystal City metro. CC has the same ambience (not) as Eisenhower Ave but is closer to DC and has a wider variety of shops & restaurants. Closer to Reagan if that's your point of entry.

I'd also probably haul the stroller with me rather than buy new, even a cheapie. There is a Target (and a bunch of other big box places) about 5-7 minutes drive from Crystal City (Potomac Yard).
Jul 18th, 2005, 07:31 AM
peter415

Thanks for the replies -- based on this info I switched the reservation to the CY in Rosslyn. We've stayed there before, know the area (as well as a visitor can I suppose) and were able to get similar rates.

Thanks esp to EMD for the great description of the area. Just the kind of info I was looking for.

Have a great week.

Search this Thread