Country inn 1-2 hrs from Philadelphia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice country inn with walking trails and really good French food within a 1- or 2-hour drive of Philadelphia?

I recall hearing about a place called White Spruce Inn or something similar that I think was just over the Pennsylvania line in upstate New York. Has anyone heard of it?

arney
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:28 AM

The most obvious choice would be Bucks County - Many Inns Along River Road - Hotel Du Village, Inn At Phillips Mill, and Evermay on The Delaware are just 3 of the many fine B&B's in Bucks County.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Years ago, I stayed in a fabulous B&B in Chadds Ford, PA. It's near the Wyeth museums and was charming. I'm not a hiker - but there were alot of restaurants, wineries, neat things to do - and it was very close to Philly. I don't remember the name of the inn but it was wonderful - and if you did a search, I'm sure you'd find several.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 01:05 PM

I would HIGHLY recommend Bucks County. One of the most beautiful places in the country. Very historic. Must visit Washington Crossing.

Two B&B's I would highly recommend: Mansion Inn and Inn at Phillips Mill, both in New Hope.

There are three really top-notch French restaurants in the area: Jean Pierre's - Newtown; La Bonne Auberge - New Hope; and Inn at Phillips Mill. I would try them in that order.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:07 AM

Hdbear gave the exact same advice I would give on the french restaurants. Jeanne Pierres has closed and now there is a new restaurant there- don't know if it is still french. As for where to stay, I would recommend Bridgeton House. Its in Upper Black Eddy which is a great area. Website is bridgetonhouse.com. I live in Bucks County and this is where my husband and I go when we want a little getaway. If they are booked, go to Evermay on the Delware.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM

I've stayed and dined at the Antrim 1844 Inn in Taneytown MD, on the border of PA near Gettysburg. The inn is beautiful and the food and wine selection is amazing. The best part is hanging out in the pub afterwards. Small, cozy and has a great fireplace. The grounds are very nice and there areas to walk nearby.

www.antrim1844.com