Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Could use some help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/could-use-some-help-641005/)

kithsu Aug 22nd, 2006 06:44 AM

Could use some help

I am traveling with my husband and child (11) to Maui to celebrate my 50th birthday (which is on Dec. 29 - yikes). We are going from Dec. 30 until Jan. 5. My sister and parents are also going. My sister has booked a room at the Westin Kaanapali Resort into which we will be crammed with her. Are there any hotels nearby where I could stay with my family (3 of us) alone, yet be nearby to my sister and parents? BTW this is my first time ever anywhere in Hawaii. It has always been my dream to visit there and now I'm afraid it's turning into a disaster! Can anyone please help?

starrsville Aug 22nd, 2006 06:56 AM

Learn to set some boundaries? Time to start at 50.

Okay, more concrete suggestions.
Go to www.google.com
Enter the address for the Westin - 2365 Kaanapali Pky, Lahaina, HI and choose "maps"
Now, choose "business nearby" and enter "hotel"
Spend some time looking at adjacent hotels, reading reviews and calling to get rates and reservations.

There are a ton of hotels nearby in the busiest section of Maui. Find one and enjoy some time with YOUR family for your birthday - and don't let anyone make you feel guilty about any of it!

kithsu Aug 22nd, 2006 07:10 AM

Thank you Starrsville. I have been looking. I just don't know, having never been there, and reading some other posts, what is worthwhile and what is not. I am guessing you don't have a pushy older sister? LOL

starrsville Aug 22nd, 2006 07:24 AM

Yep, I do. Just got back from a trip with her also. Gotta set boundaries. The one time I went against my better judgement I almost got a $350 tix from a ranger. Listen to your stomach. If you are already afraid "it's turning into a disaster" it will be (a disaster). Celebrate your 50th by setting new boundaries.

The google site has the nearby hotels and reviews. Book something ASAP. Change your mind a half dozen times between now and then, but DO IT NOW (book something...anything). I promise you will feel better immediately if you take control.

BTW, said sister had a special gift sent to me after the trip - so you can do it AND not create enemies. Actually, your sister will have new respect for you.

martym Aug 22nd, 2006 07:25 AM

Since there are so many hotels in that area, it might be helpful if you would list a few of the hotels you are considering and then people could comment on specific hotels.

wtm003 Aug 22nd, 2006 07:30 AM

I just want to make sure I'm reading this right. Your sister wants to share a hotel room with you, your husband and child? If this is the case you need to tell her NO! Otherwise, she will just follow you to your new hotel. Find a place where YOU want to stay and book it. It is your birthday and trip so don't let your family push you around.

Suzie Aug 22nd, 2006 07:32 AM

Close to the Westin on Kaanapali are the wonderful Hyatt to the south, Sheraton to the north. Condos The Whalers, the Ali'i, the quite Hawaiian Whaler. Kaanapali is a great area for you to celebrate your birthday. Be advised that you will be in HI during the most crowded time of the year. It’s beautiful though.

Here’s a link to a great video where you can see the resorts in relation to the Westin. If you take the video tour just keep in mind that at the end the last resort is the Hyatt even though the title says it’s the Westin. That’s a mistake; the Westin is north of both the Marriott and the Hyatt.

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/maui/phototour
Make sure you pick up Maui Revealed guidebook – your local bookstore or amazon.com or wizrdpub.com. It will be a great resource for you. It’s a fun read unlike other books that can be kind of dry. It’s rather entertaining. One piece of advice though is that mind the No Trespassing sign regardless of what the book says.

kithsu Aug 22nd, 2006 07:33 AM

I was looking at Lahaina Inn and/or a one bedroom cottage in Kihei that were available through cyberrentals.com. Had also checked out the other resorts at Kaanapali, but the prices are SOOO high. Are they worth it?

MrsJenn Aug 22nd, 2006 07:35 AM

The Sheraton Maui is right next door, plus they allow you to use both properties if you are at one (pools, etc.). There are several hotels located on the same strip. If you want something a bit less expensive you might look into the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. It has a very hawaiian feel and your 11 year old would probably like it. There is a walkway along the beach between the hotels on this strip. You could walk to the Westin from most with no problems.

Have a wonderful birthday! Don't let others control your vacation, everyone will regret that. Like starrsville said, set your boundaries. Let your family know when you will see them (for dinner, excursions you plan to do together, etc.). It's all about planning things out so everyone is happy with the outcome. Maui is too beautiful to be ruined by controlling siblings!

kithsu Aug 22nd, 2006 07:36 AM

Let me clarify. She has Starwoods points and is booking the room through Starwoods for free. So it will not cost my family anything for the room. Is it worth is to spend the money and have some privacy? I don't know, that's what I am trying to figure out. Thanks.

martym Aug 22nd, 2006 07:51 AM

The fact that you posted your question makes me think you really think it is worth it. It sure would be worth it for me. I think you will feel better, as an earlier poster said, if you book something, anything (make sure it can be cancelled in case you find something better or less expensive). You might consider a condo since there are 3 of you--then you could eat some meals in the condo which would help to offset the cost.

starrsville Aug 22nd, 2006 07:53 AM

If she were using points to book rooms (plural, ROOMS) then I'd go. If your family is having to share a ROOM, then book (and pay for) your own place.

Suzie Aug 22nd, 2006 07:53 AM

There Sheraton is not right next door to the Westin but it is down the beach walk. They have discontinued the pool sharing between the Westin and the Sheraton though. Sorry.

Suzie Aug 22nd, 2006 07:59 AM

Here's a link describing the change in the "Stay at one, play at all" policy which previously allowed using pools at both the Sheraton and the Westin:

http://tinyurl.com/rtkfo

kithsu Aug 22nd, 2006 08:35 AM

How is the ResortQuest Maui Kaanapali Villas? They only have a studio left. It seems almost everything else is sold out already!

starrsville Aug 22nd, 2006 08:40 AM

You are looking at perhaps the busiest week of the year.

Once again, book something now (that is cancellable) and change your mind half a dozen times later if you want.

girlonthego Aug 22nd, 2006 08:45 AM

Sharing a room will give you no privacy or freedom. I suggest what everyone else is saying, stay in your own room or pick another hotel nearby. And definitely book now! That is the Christmas week and will be pricey and busy. Hope you have a happy birthday!! :)

Suzie Aug 22nd, 2006 08:50 AM

I just want you to know that even though it says Kaanapali the in the name the villas are not located on the stretch of beach called Kaanapali. It will not be close enough to the Westin to walk – is that a selling point? ;)

kithsu Aug 22nd, 2006 08:55 AM

Thank you Suzie. How close is it? I'm thinking if it's within 5 or so miles that would work. We'll just have to get separate cars also!

starrsville Aug 22nd, 2006 08:57 AM

go to kayak.com, enter your dates and criteria and see what is available at what price