Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cost of an average hotel in Honolulu in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother is just beginning to explore a tredip to Oahu for June 2007. It is an early anniversary trip (10 years.) I think she is interested in Waikiki Beach (not necesarily a hotel right on the beach.) What can she and husband expect to pay during that time of year for a queen or king hotel room? They would like something moderate, not budget nor luxury.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:10 AM

I would describe the Hilton Hawaiian Village as falling between budget and luxury. We paid $around $230/night this August, but had also priced June and found similar rates. It seemed to be in line with "average" prices on Waikiki Beach, and the grounds are amazing.

I found lowest end to be around $100/night (NOT on beach) -- on beach averaged $160-300, and of course you can easily go as high as $700/night.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM

ITA with HHV. If I was going, I would also check the low rise hotels, the Breakers and Hawaiiana (more on the budget side of moderate). Also, my folks liked the apartment like units at the Ilima. I looked into the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani for my daughters honeymoon (they went to Paris instead!). It's rates are in the $170.- to $200.- for your timeframe.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:32 AM
sistahlou

ilovetulips,

have you ever been to Chicago in Springtime? Oh the Magnificant Mile of Tulips that city puts out!!!! Glorious!

Are you looking for an average cost or an average hotel? Good luck with the continueing great advice. Wanted to keep this topped for you as I have no real advice to give!

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:42 AM

Just adding to trippin's comments -- I heard lots of great things about Hawaiiana and it's old-Hawaii charm before we went, but there was major construction in that area when we were there. I've read from other posters that it's still going on, but maybe someone else has info about when it will be over? Once that's all out of the way I'm sure the area around the Hawaiiana will be fresh and fabulous
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:41 AM

Good point Karameli, as I do recall about the contruction in the Beachwalk and Kalia streets area.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
trippinkpg-
You do not want to stay at the Hawaiian Hotel or the Breakers at the moment. I love the Hawaiian dearly but the entire area is under scaffolding for the construction (is what was reported very recently). Also I would not call it "moderate", it's pretty budget basic imo, not what most people would expect of a Waikiki hotel/resort.

karameli-
Actually the lower end in Waikiki is more like $50/night (Royal Grove).
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, maybe by June '07 that area will be put back together. Would be worth checking closer to the time. The Hawaiiana is lovely, for what it is, unique in Waikiki as an "old school" kind of island hotel.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM

Map of most Waikiki hotels & condos. The map is a few years old. Some changes to the map - Aston hotels are now Resortquest. Waikiki Terrace is now Outrigger Luana. A couple have become Aqua hotels:

http://www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.htm...260bb1d8c8b18a

Lots to do on Oahu. Has some sites for lodging:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.visit-oahu.com They will send a free brochure. There are over 400 websites in the brochure & their site for hotels, condos, restaurants, attractions. Click on OVB Yellow Pages.

Resortquest has several properties from $150 and up. Waikiki Sunset & Waikiki Banyon are two decent condos:

www.resortquesthawaii.com

Ohana hotels are decent. Several to choose from:

www.ohanahotels.com
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, I will be sure to print this out for my mom.