Coral Beach Resort, Myrtle Beach

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:01 PM
tyrannulet

Coral Beach Resort, Myrtle Beach

We are going to the Coral Beach Resort in two weeks. Anyone stayed here, and was it good or bad? What are the good places to eat in the area?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Terri

Hi! I am interested in the answer to those questions as well. I have not yet made reservations, but am planning to stay at the Coral Beach Resort in late May - early June. Is the location of the resort in the heart of Myrtle Beach? Is it too busy an area? I am interested in being close to everthing, but would prefer not to be overly crowded. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
chuck

Terri,

Short answer--Coral Beach Resort is at 11th Avenue South, that's about 1 mile south of the *heart* of MB, but still in the thick of things. On the plus side, your time frame will not be nearly as crowded as mid-June through mid-August.

Do a search of this site, using Myrtle Beach in the text search field, and you'll get a lot of info from recent threads.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Terri

Chuck,

We meet again! Thanks for the info. on Coral Beach Resort. I would still like to hear from someone who may have been there, but would like to know if you have any other suggestions for me. How is traffic should we stay further away and would like to drive to attractions? Also, anything you think we must do while visiting?

Thanks!
Terri

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:53 PM
chuck

Terri,

Late May-early June should be a very good time to be in the Grand Strand area. There will be some traffic and crowds, but nothing like mid-summer.

You can pretty much plan on driving to get to shops, restaurants, attractions. MB and surrounding beach towns are fairly decentralized--there is no one area that contains the bulk of activities. That said, Broadway at the Beach has a lot of stuff in one location (restaurants, aquarium, shops, IMAX, night clubs, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.). And you will have to drive to Broadway from wherever you stay.

My advice is to stay in the Northern part of the strand--from about 21st Avenue North in MB up to North Myrtle Beach. Specifically, stay oceanfront at any of the following: Forest Dunes (not my recommendation, but another poster receommends it and I've never seen a negative reply) around 56th Avenue North in MB; Kingston Plantation (great resort, somewhat pricy, between MB and North MB); or Ocean Creek (in North MB).

Ocean Creek might be your best bet--similar to KP but less expensive I am told. (My wife & I have stayed at both Ocean Creek and KP, liked both.) OC is across the street from Barefoot Landing, which is like a smaller version of Broadway (T-Bonz is good there, and if you're lucky you might catch a good band at the House of Blues, which is also there).

You may want to see a few of my posts (and the posts of others) on some recent threads, as I gave a lot of opinions. But if you have specific questions, let me know (that's my correct email address above).

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:03 PM
judy

We stayed at the Coral Beach Resort two years ago in March for spring break. Myrtle Beach is very quiet in March so hard to say how crowded you would be on beach but the hotel itself is pretty much in the heart of the very touristy area. The hotel itself is comfortable with nice indoor and outdoor pools. We stayed in the oceanfront suite which has a kitchentte, two bathrooms, bedroom and murphy bed in the living room. The hotel has recently been renovated too. We liked it although now we stay at the Landmark Resort which is nearby, much the same, but has a bigger and better indoor pool area - crucial with kids in March!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:52 AM
Terri

Thanks Chuck and Judy -

Chuck - Kingston Plantation has no vacancies for the dates we will be there. I will check out Ocean Creek and Forest Dunes.

Judy - I will also look into Landmark Resort.

I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:00 AM
sherrie

I stayed at the Coral Beach two summers ago. At the time, they were marketing their "renovation". I think most of the $$ was dedicated to the lobby area. The room had new bed coverings and new carpet but the floor in the bathroom/kitchenette area was old and sticky, no matter how much bleach the maid put on it! The bathroom had tile falling off the wall. My friend stayed there a couple of weeks after I did and exprienced a leak from the room above her in the bathroom. We also had a room near/below (??) "bowling alley". Mistake. When the kids were sleeping on the murphey bed in the living area, they could hear the balls hitting the floor above. On the plus side, the hotel is conveniently located. They have a great pool area and a great bar for drinks and food outside near the pool. Also, they had live music every afternoon, which we really enjoyed. Sorry for the long post.

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:12 AM
India

I'm going to Myrtle Beach in September and plan to stay at the Wyndham. Does anyone have any feedback on this? I'll also check out the Coral Beach Resort.