Coopers Restaurant in Scranton, PA.

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coopers Restaurant in Scranton, PA.

So we went to one of the most famous sea food restaurants in the U.S. Coopers in Scranton, PA.
http://www.coopers-seafood.com/2007/scranton/menu.html
It's been mention on 'The Office' several times, and has won best seafood several times. Well, good they've got a large parking lot. The decor is A+. The best decor of any seafood place I've ever been to. Posters and photos and promos from films and TV shows, newspapers clippings, large memorabilia collection, a few autographs here and there. Hillary Clinton likes to go there.
9/11 photos placed in the bathroom?! huh? Shame on them! Many photos of unknown or forgotten movie and TV actors. So do everyone a favor and place the 9/11 material upfront.
You could spend a whole day walking around there just checking out the place...
But, that's not what people are there for.
So for the food: simply put, it sucks!
I am not a big fan of seafood, but I did try their crab bisque.
horrid. looked and tasted like diahrea. My mom's French onion soup was just as bad.
Mix of lobster & shrimp tasted like cooked plastic. Lobster lovers stay away.
My sirloin filet was as hard as a brick. If that is supposed to be medium well done then I'll invite chef Ramsey to try it.
The salad had cheese. Who asked for cheese in my tossed salad? huh?

Is it legal to serve alligator?
The beer selection was huge.
Overall, take folks there just to impress them with the decor, but order light, have a few drinks and go home.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:54 PM

There are restaurants in Louisiana and Massachusetts that serve alligator on their menus, and that's likely the case in other states as well. Alligators are not considered an endangered species, either. Am thinking it's legal to serve alligator in US restaurants, at least.

I did eat at Cooper's once about ten years ago or thereabouts when I was in the Scranton area. I remember the seafood being okay, certainly better than Red Lobster, though not at the level of better such places near the Atlantic or Pacific coasts. Given that it's a seafood restaurant in a landlocked area, that may be the best one can expect -- and I also remember there not being too many good food options in this city at the time, so there may not be a lot to choose from here.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:35 AM

You do know that "The Office" is NOT filmed in Scranton and has NOTHING to do with Scranton.

There are lots of things mentioned in the TV show that have nothing to do with Scranton.

I have been to Cooper's many times over the years. The food is OK. I haven't been to this restaurant in over 10 years, however. This restaurant is way past its prime. Was better back in the 1980's.

A really, really great restaurant in the area is Patsel's in Clark Summit. FANTASTIC food and a decor (murano glass chandeliers) that could be photographed for Architectural Digest.

You really don't know much about Scranton, do you?

Thin, resident of Bear Lake
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Why do I need to know anything about a place to comment on their restaurants? I was in some pseudo-French restaurant in Quebec, which had nice decor, but the food was horrible.
I didnt care for seafood places in Maine or Boston as well. I guess I just hate sea food.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM

I'm not sure what ThinGorjus's point is, either. I can tell if a restaurant is good or bad without knowing much about the city where it's located.

POMAH, note that there are actually several weak to poor quality seafood places in Boston: Union Oyster House, Barking Crab, Summer Shack, and a few outposts of Legal Seafoods (branches at Kendall Square and the Prudential Center can both be very spotty) come to mind off the top of my head. If you hit one of these, it's no wonder you had a bad seafood experience in Boston.

Good spots in Boston/Cambridge if you return to the area include Neptune Oyster, B&G Oysters, Kingfish Hall, Yankee Lobster, Dolphin Seafood, and several Legal Seafoods locations. And good seafood can be had on the North Shore at The Clam Box (Ipswich) and J.T. Farnham's or The Village (Essex).
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM

My point was that THE OFFICE has nothing to do with Scranton.

THE OFFICE once broadcast an episode that took place at Hooters, yet there is no Hooters in Scranton.

I have never heard that Hillary Clinton likes to go to Cooper's. I know that she likes to dine at a well-known restaurant in Tunkhannock. My mother also liked to eat at this restaurant.

Thin
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM

There's an article in what appears to be a local Scranton paper that suggests Cooper's is an area favorite of the Clintons:

http://thetimes-tribune.com/arts-liv...-prep-1.687258

Have seen other mentions of the Clintons having dined here online without mention of it being a "favorite."

As for "The Office," it doesn't surprise me that they would try to work in some area references to try and lend a little local color to the show. Other sitcoms have done this (having a farewell party at Crickets in "WKRP in Cincinnati" is one example that comes to mind). It also doesn't surprise me that the show would make a local blunder such as assuming there's a Hooters in the city when there isn't. Going back to "WKRP" again, there was an episode showing a character driving outdoors in Cincinnati, passing by several palm trees in the process.