Coolest bar in N.Y.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:46 AM
mike

Coolest bar in N.Y.

In the Big Apple for first trip in Nov.What are the oldest,coolest and most interesting bars in the city,any itineraries for a fun pub crawl?Entertainment optional and hotel bars included.
Mike

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:08 AM
kate

Hi, Mike
try www.newyorkled.com

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:34 AM
hoist

Oak Bar at the Plaza Hotel.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Tuppie

Au Bar.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:36 AM
scarlett

The Soho Grand Hotel bar.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Margaret

Chumley's in the West Village is an old speakeasy from the 1920's (old by US standards) - not exactly a fancy hang-out, but very historic.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Mike

McSorley's, though it has become touristy, is a MUST. It's the oldest, and very cool. Do a web search and you'll find some info on it. It's on 7th st. btw 2nd/3rd, Brewski's on the same block is fun and for a place with a TON of different beers and single malts, dba on 1st Ave btw 2nd/3rd st, I'll be there on Sat. Also, COyote Ugly is in the neighborhood and all are in walking distance from each other.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:55 AM
dave

mike,would you know what coyote ugly is like at night. Is it much trouble catching a cab back to the hotel late at night from this area.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Mike

The area that Coyote Ugly in will generally be fairly crowded at any hour of the day. There are A LOT of bars and late night resraurants in this area (East Village) and it's a fairly "trendy" area of the city, hence large late night crowds. As for taxi's, I usually need to catch the last train out of the city at 1:30 so I foolishly head to the curb at 1:10 to catch a cab for my 5-10 minute ride to GCT. When you're faced with potentially missing the last train out and being forced to sleep on a curb until the next train at 6:00AM, waiting 10 minutes for an available cab seems like an eternity. So, if you're just trying to get to your hotel to crash (and aren't in a major hurry), getting a cab will be no problem. You'll see 10 cabs/minute go by, but you may have to wait 10 minutes or so for an available one. So for you, it's not an issue. I tend to feel like I just have bad cab karma.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Flynn

Mike, check out this website as they have a current topic on 10 new very cool bars.
http://newyork.citysearch.com/

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:20 AM
DeeDee

Skip Coyote Ugly. Thank goodness it's 15 minutes of fame are over.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:35 AM
al

In a city with SO MANY bars it's hard to come with a "coolest bar". Cool bars come and go. What's cool one week is uncool the next. McSorleys, the dreaded tourist trap of taverns, is worth a visit but will never be thought of as "cool".

Mike, what are your criteria for "cool"? You looking for a good beer selection? An old-timey feel? Hip people? Celebrities? Barflys? Let us know and we can narrow it down it bit.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:47 AM
junebug

McSorley's stinks -- literally. It has a nasty smell of old stale ale and ancient decades of pee and vomit. Also, unless they've renovated, their ladies room leaves a lot to be desired -- mainly, a dry floor and 20th century plumbing. Eww.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:55 AM
WTF?

20th century plumbing? What are you talking about??? Almost everywhere has 20th century plumbing! Do you expect them to rennovate every year?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:21 AM
wish

My favorite bar in NYC is the Blue Bar at the Algonquin Hotel. It's small, elegant, and not as overpriced as you would think. I always stop there when in NYC, sink into those leather chairs, and order a cocktail. Go before a show and order food from the bar menu, it's VERY reasonably priced and very good. Make sure you go into the Blue Bar, not the "Algonquin Room" area (the big room off the lobby). I've had the same waiter every time I've gone to the Blue Bar -- I've only been going for about six years, but he's been there for 30 years. Great spot.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:22 AM
junebug

WTF, since you need help with my comment, McSorley's could use improvement by *having* 20th century plumbing. Their ladies room looks like 19th century. k?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:33 AM
ddd

The Penn-Top bar at the Peninsula Hotel.
It is on the roof on the 25th floor (appx). Cool view of the city.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:09 PM
kim

I have been wanting to go to the Penn Top bar. Do you need to stay at the hotel or is anyone welcome?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:43 PM
suzanne

Anyone can go to the Penn Top bar. Drinks are very pricey ($7 or more for a bottle of beer) but it's worth it for the view.