Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Coolest area of New Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/coolest-area-of-new-orleans-199455/)

Hip Oct 25th, 2001 04:39 AM

Coolest area of New Orleans

My boyfriend and I are going to New Orleans for 5 days - we are 26 and 28, and want to know the coolest/best area to stay (Garden district, French quarter, etc). We like to walk around, explore, hang out in cafes, eat at good restaurants, and drink/dance/listen to live music. Any suggestions about the best area to stay? Any hotel suggestions?

go Oct 25th, 2001 05:07 AM

i say the french quarter - i just like that area

Cheryl Oct 25th, 2001 05:16 AM

Ditto on the French Quarter. Try to stay at a place that is centrally located in the Quarter. I would recommmend either the Omni Royal Orleans or Bourbon Orleans. Both are centrally located in the Quarter. I like the Omni because it is very nice and has a great rooftop swimming pool. If these are out of your price range, I would also recommend the Place de Arms (not sure of spelling) which also has a great central location in the Quarter right off Jackson Square. It has a courtyard pool. I just went to New Orleans in May with my husband and we had a great time.

susan Oct 25th, 2001 05:16 AM

The French Quarter, no question about it. But there are LOTS of options, so you need to be more specific about what price range you're interested in.

John Oct 25th, 2001 07:14 AM

French Quarter, Faubourg Marigny (next to the Quarter) and Lower Garden District would be my choices. If you want the "local" scene rather than the tourist version, Marigny may be best.

Rose Oct 25th, 2001 07:20 AM

N.O. is not a cool place to visit. It stinks and is dirty!!!

Adam Oct 25th, 2001 07:49 AM

Yes, it's not Salt Lake City, Rose. <BR> <BR>I LOVE New Orleans, griminess and all.

pat Oct 25th, 2001 08:00 AM

French quarter, if you want to be where the action is. You can always take the St Charles streetcar and see the historic mansions in that part of town. Try to do a river boat cruse on the Mississippi too. It leaves from the french quarter.

xxx Oct 25th, 2001 08:57 AM

I would also recommend the French Quarter but would suggest you try to get a flat instead of a hotel. A few years ago we stayed in a charming flat in the Pontabla building overlooking Jackson Square. Totally cool building with TONS of history. Had a porch with wrought iron railing that you accessed via huge windows (open and walk right out). I'm sorry I can't provide you a link but you could do a search for short term rentals in NOLA.

John Oct 25th, 2001 09:06 AM

I should mention that short term rentals are ILLEGAL in the French Quarter. Under the law, you simply can't "rent an apartment" for under 30 days. The city is cracking down on these activities, albeit quite slowly...

John Oct 25th, 2001 09:09 AM

Personally, I think New Orleans IS one of the coolest places to visit. Great neighborhoods, funky bars and clubs, cool music, fab restaurants, etc. Yes, it has some dirt and grime, but we should all look so good when we're 300 years old! But, it's not generic like most other U.S. cities and the people here enjoy life to the fullest. It's why I stayed after grad school! <BR>

xxx Oct 25th, 2001 09:58 AM

John, <BR>Bummer about the short-term rentals. I did it through a service I found on-line, but as I said it has been a few years. Any idea why they prohibit this?

John Oct 25th, 2001 10:17 AM

This is probably more info than you want, xxx, but you asked! :-) <BR> <BR>Most cities prohibit rentals of less than a specified time period as such travelers are "transient" and therefore should be taxed as such. In our city, if you're here under 30 days (and it may be 60 now), you're supposed to stay in a licensed hotel, B&B, etc. and pay taxes according to city/state law. Apartments are for tenants, not tourists. <BR> <BR>Also, such short-term illegal apartment rentals contribute to the deterioration of the residential population in historic neighborhoods. Tenants keep the neighborhood "authentic." <BR>What's amazing about the apartment at the Pontalba is that they are owned by the city! So, someone is leasing government property and then illegally operating it to make a profit. Very tacky... <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

xxx Oct 25th, 2001 10:29 AM

John, <BR>Thanks for the info. I can see issues about transients taxing civic services more than tenants, but also wonder about one's right to do what one wishes with one's own property. As it applies to the Pontalba, the city as the owner can certainly direct that property's use as it sees fit. There must be a lot of illegal short-term rentals in lots of cities. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I hope I didn't contribute too much to the deterioration of the French Quarter... ;) We did have an absolute blast.

Meg Oct 25th, 2001 10:51 AM

I would suggest the Marigny - it's definitely a funkier more local scene than the Quarter - but you're so close you can enjoy the Quarter as well.

hip Oct 25th, 2001 12:31 PM

thanks for all of the great suggestions and input. We def. want to be in a happening kind of place where there is a good deal of activity/things to do. A boat ride on the Mississippi sounds like a great idea - my boyfriend went to U of Minn and loved the Mississippi up there, so this will give him anoth perspective. Any suggestions for cool night clubs/bars/live music venues?

Brian in Atlanta Oct 25th, 2001 12:48 PM

Hip, get a copy of TimeOut New Orleans. It's the best guide I've seen for bars/clubs/etc for New Orleans.

DeEtte Oct 25th, 2001 01:32 PM

Stay in the French Quarter. Hang out on Burbon St. for the drinking and/or people watching. Royal St. has antique shops, go on a ghost tour at night and ride the paddle wheeler down the Mississippi. From the French Quarter you can catch the trolley and visit the Garden District.