Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cool summer weather (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cool-summer-weather-392782/)

citiboy50 Jan 28th, 2004 12:17 PM

Cool summer weather

We want a place to go this ummer where we can rent a house in US or Canada where we do not need AC.We are from Miami and rented at Beech Mtn, NC the last 3 summers. The weather there is spectacular.

dovima Jan 28th, 2004 12:22 PM

San Francisco and points north on the coast. Repeat, ON THE COAST. Because of the coastal fog in the summer, of course. There will be some clear, warm days but always with a breeze. How about Sea Ranch on the north Sonoma coast? There are houses of every size and description, many of them available for either short or longer rentals.

bucky Jan 28th, 2004 12:36 PM

Northern Michigan has some beautiful spots, and AC is not needed in summer. The Upper Peninsula is especially nice.

Is Beech Mountain away from the coast? We went to Hilton Head, SC twice during the summer and I thought the weather was unbearably hot. (It was a family reunion, which is why we went back a second time). I could not even stand to be outside, even on the beach, between 10am-3pm. It's all subjective I suppose, since I've lived in Chicago all my life I'm not used to southern summers.

suzanne Jan 28th, 2004 12:48 PM

I also recommend Northern Michigan. I haven't been to the upper peninsula, just the town (Good Hart) on the coast about an hour or so north of Traverse City. It was beautiful, quiet and cool...no air conditioning required, in fact we needed wool blankets at night in August!

paige Jan 28th, 2004 12:53 PM

Ski resorts in the Rocky Mountains are wonderful in the summer. Nothing like needing long pants and a sweater for August evenings when you are used to hot and humid! Just watch for adjustment to altitude first couple of days.

wsoxrebel Jan 28th, 2004 12:55 PM

One of my fondest memories of living in Chicagoland was driving to Chesterton, Indiana and visiting the Dunes lakeshore area. Only a few years ago, we could go to the double feature drive-in at night for under $10 for as many as you could fit into your vehicle. Families tailgated and threw frisbees before the show would start. I would usually snuggle under my down comforter and fall asleep during the second doublefeature. Paradise by the dash board lights for the family crowd.

bucky Jan 28th, 2004 02:06 PM

yes the dunes by chicago are great, but you can't guarantee no ac in the summer, unless you are sleeping right on the beach!

gc Jan 28th, 2004 02:10 PM

Lake Champlain or Arcadia National Park.

citiboy50 Jan 28th, 2004 02:56 PM

Intersting advice-Beech Mtn is one mile high and 300 miles from the coast. One morning it was 47 degrees in August. We bought land there. The upper Peninsula sounds good. What is there? Mountains?

GBelle Jan 28th, 2004 03:01 PM

Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire
Alaska

nytraveler Jan 28th, 2004 03:03 PM

Maine is a great choice with tons of houses for rent and AC is very rarely needed.

citiboy50 Jan 29th, 2004 01:00 PM

What part of Maine is cool tempwise with activities?

GoTravel Jan 29th, 2004 01:06 PM

Beech Mountain is in the MOUNTAINS of NORTH Carolina. Hilton Head is on the COAST of SOUTH Carolina.

They are two different states.

gualalalisa Jan 29th, 2004 01:09 PM

Dovima: You are so right - I am sitting here at work in the county park on The Sea Ranch as we speak!

In the 22 years I've lived here, it has never been too hot in the summer. No one has air conditioning in their homes and most of us don't have it in our cars.

It is also one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I'm sitting in a grove of giant redwood trees and looking out on the Pacific - always a spectacular view. But keep in mind that we are remote - the nearest McDonalds is two hours away!

nytraveler Jan 29th, 2004 01:41 PM

All of Maine is cool and naturally along the coast you have tons of water activites as well as historical venues, great discount shopping etc. Recommend somewher near Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park as a good option.

jenifer Jan 29th, 2004 05:29 PM

There are not mountains in the upper peninsula, but there are wonderful forests and waterfalls. Pictured Rocks National Seashore is beautiful - http://www.nps.gov/piro/

There are beaches, but Lake Superior can be AWFULLY cold, even in the heat of summer. There are shipwreck museums, and if you scuba dive, there are shipwreck exploration tours.

In Sault Ste. Marie there are working locks where you can watch large freighters go through the water level change.

There are many lighthouses if that interests you.

Basically, there's plenty of activity, or you can take a more natural route and do outdoorsy stuff. Start at www.michigan.org for links to more good info!

Also, the Mackinac Bridge, linking the upper and lower peninsulas, is quite beautiful, and you could do a day trip to Mackinac Island (accessible only by ferry, and no motor vehicles on the island).

wow Jan 29th, 2004 05:37 PM

How about Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island?