Cool Boutique Hotels- Not huge Resorts or highrise condos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like all the lodging options I am coming across are these massive resorts and high rise condos. Some look beautiful but I am really looking for smaller places that have a more intimate feel to it w/ lush green grounds, preferably on the ocean, new rooms and maybe even individual cottages if possible.

Does this exist as I am having a really difficult finding unique places like these and the ones that I did come across seem old /dated and rundown looking. Has anything new been built that fits this criteria?

I will be vistiting 4 islands (Maui, Oahu, BI and Ohau) for 4 nights each so not looking for weekly rental places like home rentals.
Budget is $350 per night during Jan/Feb.

Any hidden gems you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Ag3046

Kona Village Resort on Hawaii is exactly what you describe. Except the price is considerably higher than your budget in January. Take a look at their website anyway. You can google it.

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I've noticed that you have posted this question several times and to be honest I think your expectations are unrealistic. You want a high-end, intimate hotel or cottage on the ocean for $350/night in January? What do you consider a massive resort? Is a condo completely out of the question?

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Ag3046,

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I am looking for. I just viewed the website of the Kona Village Resort and it looks perfect. (its intimate without being a sprawling resort because you have individual cottages). There seems to be so few of these types of resorts. When I went to southeast asia, all the beach resorts have places just like this. I don't understand why its so difficult to find this type of hotel setting in hawaii.

It is very expensive and maybe I can stay two nights.

Is there anything else similar to Kona Village that might be a bit less expensive? On the other islands as well.

Thanks and I sure hope others can recommend more of this type of lodging option. Thanks again.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Hotel Hana Maui is a really nice, small hotel. Rates start at $425
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Is the Hotel Hana Maui you just recommended on the beach. If so, how does this beach compare to other beaches on Maui.

I just looked at the website and this also looks perfect just like the Kona Village previously recommended earlier.

Someone asked earler what I considered to be resorts that are just too large.
Looking at websites, I say the Four Seasons, Hyatts,....etc (I think you get what I mean)

I will splurge a few nights on the higher end places like Kona Village and Hana maui that was just recommended.

But I am also looking for places very similar to these two but scaled down for about $300 night. I am sure some do exist, No?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM

I am not sure that they do exist for the time you want and the price you want. As I posted in response to one of your earlier thread--check out the higher end inns/b&b. They are not full service hotels obviously but can be quite luxurious and lovely. I suggested two on the BI--both on the Hamakua Coast--Waianuhea near Honokaa http://waianuhea.com-. Also Palms Cliff House near Hilo- http://palmscliffhouse.com
Is something like this something you would consider?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM

On Oahu, you might consider the Moana Surfrider which is a hotel but much smaller than most hotels on Waikiki
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:57 AM

You said you are visiting 4 islands but listed Oahu twice. I'll assume you mean Kauai.

Small, oceanfront but maybe not the luch grounds:

http://www.coastlinecottages.com/

Small condo complex ocean front nice grounds ask for building 1:

http://www.suite-paradise.com/whaler...lers-cove.html

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Hana Maui's not right on the beach. It's a short shuttle ride (or horseback) to a beautiful beach.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Someone suggested Waimea Plantation Cottages on Kaua'i on one of your other threads. Have you looked at that?
Try Napili Kai Beach Resort on Maui as well.

I'd also start thinking about adjusting your expectations just in case you don't find exactly what your looking for. Boutique hotels may be common in many places throughout the world, but are scarce in the Hawaiian Islands, where larger (but very nice)resorts have been a fact of life there since the 60's.

-Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM

On Maui, we loved the Bali Cottage at The Cliffs Edge. www.cliffsedge.com

The location is rather remote, but it was spectacular.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Not on the ocean - but a beautiful inn on the Big Island.

http://www.holualoainn.com/
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM

dougieo--just wondering--have you found any place that you want to stay yet?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Stay at the Plantation Inn in Lahaina, a 19 room B&B, delicious breakfasts, verandas on most of the rooms, pool, spa, can walk anywhere in Lahaina...great food just a few feet away. Great accomodations.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Try the Hooilo House in Maui - not on the ocean but great ocean views and truly romantic and wonderful B&B. Make sure you get a spa treatment on your lanai - heavenly!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM

Let me second the recommendation of the Holualoa Inn on the BI near Kona. My husband and I spent 4 nights there in March. It was absolute bliss. We stayed in the Coffee Cherry room - no view but totally peaceful with lovely views and access to the gardens. Great common space, sunset views over the water and delicious fresh cooked breakfasts each morning. It was about 15-20 minutes drive down to the water and town for dinner. For us, the view and the quiet made up for not being on the beach.

Another amazing inn on the BI (but totally off the beaten path) is Waianuhea www.waianuhea.com near Honokaa.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you mean Kauai? You mentioned Oahu twice in your posting.

Maybe you could splash out on one or two islands, then stay at more modest hotels the other two, to balance things out? What you are seeking and in that price range is just not all that common.

Hawaii is expensive...

Sure you can find it in SE Asia, you can find it in Mexico... but this is Hawaii (and I mean that in the nicest way)!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM

On O`ahu -- far, far end of Waikiki Beach (across from Kapi`olani Park) is the New Otani Kaimana Beach. I love staying here:
http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/ornewo...manabeach.html

Small hotel, wonderful service, great beach, excellent restaurants (just 2), and it's small.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Intimate places seem to be hard to find, at least at a reasonable rate. I did come across this Kauai vacation rental place: www.kauaiproperties.com/ ...lots of choices. Hoping to take the family this fall .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -