Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Convertible or not?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/convertible-or-not-547391/)

lfalcone Jul 27th, 2005 04:40 PM

Convertible or not??

We are driving the coast from San Francisco to LA in mid-October. Is it worth spending the extra money to rent a convertible?

gyppielou Jul 27th, 2005 04:49 PM

but of course!

bookhall Jul 27th, 2005 05:03 PM

Absolutely. Go to http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall and check out the CA albums. The convertible was one of the best impulse decisions I've ever made....

djkbooks Jul 27th, 2005 07:02 PM

Thirty years ago, I bought an MGB convertible in April. It was sort of fun in the nice weather, though the (sounds of) wind whipping is quite annoying and you cannot hardly enjoy music while driving. I sold it in October. Haven't ridden in a convertible with the top down since, until yesterday.

I work in a Ford dealership. Yesterday, I hopped into a Mustang with the top down and drove a few miles to Dunkin Donuts for an iced latte. It was sorta fun. For such a short trip.

For me, anyway, you can hardly enjoy the views with the whipping wind, as you must strain to keep your eyes in focus. And, also, there's the sun burning down on you. And, still, you cannot enjoy the music...

Reinforced (for me, anyway) driving/riding in a convertible is just not as appealing as it would seem...

hsv Jul 27th, 2005 10:11 PM

I had one on my last trip to California (SoCal) in October of last year, a Chrysler Sebring.
I enjoyed it tremendously. Views are far more unobstructed with the top down than I would have thought.
The trunk was large enough for a convertible (which may be an issue if you carry a lot of luggage), but then there is also the back seats. In general I would advise on scaling down a bit. However, I managed to cram in a pretty big garment bag and a golf bag plus another small bag for overnight use.

I cannot second the previous poster's opinion that listening to music is impossible. Even my rental had a sufficiently powerful stereo system.

Overall, I think you should go for it - driving down PCH with the top down and being able to bask in the sun and smell the flowers or the sea along the way, life simply cannot get any better!

boombacca Jul 28th, 2005 06:03 AM

We live in Wisconsin and have a roadster Honda S2000 (convertible)which is great fun to drive. Flew to San Fran and rented a Chevy Malibu Hardtop and drove from San Fran up the coast Hwy 1, over to Napa and then to Yosemite, my wife and I both said many times the views would be so much better in a convertible. You can always put the top up. Driving coast line the speeds are not that great that the wind will be making any noise

JackOneill Jul 28th, 2005 07:19 AM

I think if you're the one driving, then it doesn't matter as far as "the view" goes because you will be, hopefully, keeping your eyes on the road.

I also think that you can;'t hear the stereo in a convertible. And to me good sound is the single most important item on a road trip.

I also object to convertibles because they are generally smaller cars. I prefer bigger cars or SUVs. I find you don't have the same sense of security (as false as it may be) in a smaller car on twisty roads as you do in a bigger car.

Of course, I'm renting a convertible to drive down to the Florida Keys next week, so what do I know.

J_Correa Jul 28th, 2005 07:23 AM

Hwy 1 was DESIGNED for a convertible. I would definitely go for it. I've never had trouble focusing my eyes in a convertible (sun glasses) or with the sound of the air whipping around (if I am going to drive 65 mph, I put the top up). On Hwy 1 through Big Sur, the average speed is about 30 mph - plenty slow to enjoy the convertible.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 28th, 2005 07:32 AM

I own a convertible. The stereo just needs to be cranked up a bit (I do have the wide-range speakers with sub-amp, which helps), and if you MUST hear the stereo better, roll up the windows.

I've had the big cars (not an SUV yet, mostly on principle, but that Grand Cherokee...) and prefer smaller cars for the maneuverability, better handling and easier parking. And like J_Correa says, CA-1 was MADE for topless driving! I say go for it.

Tandoori_Girl Jul 28th, 2005 08:26 AM

I can take only so much of my husband's convertible on trips and then we put the top up. I like it when we're on the open road but eventually feel rather wind-blown. And even with the top up convertibles are noisier than hardtops because they are only canvas.

I suggest that you make sure that the "we" in your trip are both OK with the convertible so that it doesn't become a major issue during your trip. With me and my husband, with or without the top down, one of us is forced to compromise. We've learned to deal with it but I'd hate for it to ruin your vacation.

SFImporter Jul 28th, 2005 11:11 AM

Convertibles are great for two - but if you've ever been stuck in the backseat on the highway - you know it can be a bit much.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 28th, 2005 11:22 AM

SFImporter: But don't you LIKE arriving everywhere looking like Don King?! (that is, if you have hair-- I'm bald, so....) ;)

J_Correa Jul 28th, 2005 01:26 PM

I look like Don King anyway - LOL. Actually I have crazy, curly hair that never behaves, so I get out of a convertible, push my hair around and go. It doesn't look all that different from when I "do" my hair - LOL.

traveldawg Jul 28th, 2005 03:45 PM

We live on the Monterey Peninsula. We keep a BMW Z3 just for using on weekends. Nothing beats putting the top down and cruising down Big Sur for a cold one at Nepenthe. Big Sur and convertilbes were made for each other.

Do you want a convertible for your trip? You will be sorry you did not get one when you see the other people driving theirs.

gyppielou Jul 28th, 2005 04:05 PM

Any thoughts Ifalcone? on all the feedback?

abram Jul 28th, 2005 04:51 PM

I HATE riding in a convertible!! The noise, the heat when it stops, getting beat up around the head by the wind, having to wear a hat to protect my head, looking awful when I get where we're going--ugh, ugh, ugh.

I'm thrilled for my husband that he has an adorable convertible to drive in the summer, and even more thriled that he doesn't expect me to ride in it.

lfalcone Jul 31st, 2005 11:18 AM

Hi, I've been away a few days and I can't believe all the replies to my post.

I am still torn. I've ridden in a convertible before and I enjoyed it for the first hour then the wind, etc. became really annoying.

My cousin who is going with me has left the decision up to me.

Cassandra Jul 31st, 2005 11:46 AM

If you do, it'll be memorable, no matter what happens.

If you don't, you'll always wish you had.

bookhall Jul 31st, 2005 12:46 PM

Remember, with a convertible you can have the top down. Or up.

Sara Jul 31st, 2005 03:04 PM

We rented a convertible for our drive up Highway 1 last summer, and were so glad we did! The views are incredible, and you can see so much more with the top down - we felt we would have missed a lot if we hadn't been in a convertible. As others have said, you can't drive all that fast, so the wind wasn't such a problem. I used a visor to keep the sun out of my eyes, as it fit tightly enough to not blow off.