Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Convenience of Flights from Houston's Bush Intercont'l vs. DFW airports??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still considering relocation to Dallas or Houston. Someone mentioned to me that if you need to fly to neighboring states (actually I would need to fly to 11 south/central states and Mexico) that it is better to go out of DFW because all or most Houston IAH flights go through DFW anyway.

This seems fishy to me. I did some quick checking and did not find that to be the case on some of the random flights I pulled up. Does anyone have experience with this?

Please let me know, as this is a major factor for me.

Thanks,
Blondie
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:03 AM
Dan

IAH is Continental's main hub so "most flights go through DFW anyway" is just plain wrong. If you fly American, then yes, that's true. Otherwise, no.

If you need to fly to Mexico, IAH is a better bet as Continental flies there more than any other US carrier.

Overall, it's probably a wash. Continental (IAH) and American/Delta (DFW) probably all operate nonstops from these Texas hubs to the places you need to go. DFW may have a few MORE flights a day.

Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:51 AM

For DFW residents (at least those of us who travel all the time) DFW is the most convenient airport in the country! EXTREMELY fast to park and get to your gate... NEVER traffic problems.
I know many of you out there will wonder how this is possible if you have -connected- in DFW but it's true. DFW is so big and spread out that it's just super easy to navigate by car.
I always park at the PCA lot on Freeport Pkwy and 114 (North exit) and it takes just a few minutes to get to my gate. When I am running late (if the plane is already boarding) I park at the terminal. The design of the terminals (dozens of points of entry) also reduces how far you have to walk from curbside to the gate.
I just love DFW.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:42 AM

Houston has a second large airport, Hobby, which is Southwest's hub. Many of my friends use SouthWest for their business travel . . You might check their timetables for the places you fly. The two airports are on oposite sides on Houston . . IAH in the North, Hobby in the South.

Rich
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:57 AM

Southwest HQ are at Dallas Love Field,close in to the city.Phoenix is the biggest "hub".Houston is not my territory so I cannot speak from experience.I'm not a "resident" of DFW I assume the above poster means of the metropolitan area.But I will beg to differ about "traffic".Maybe that was in reference to once you GET there to the airport.It took me a few times but I figured out that instead of taking whatever fwy it is from DT Dallas to DFW,I go the Tollway north and then the GBFwy west and down and west again.It takes a little longer and its a bit out of the way.But yes there is traffic and lots of it,every where you turn.It also seems like there is always construction.But I do agree that once you get to DFW it is a breeze.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:06 AM

Like Houston, Dallas also has another airport - Love Field. Both are the older, smaller original city airports built before the megaports. Love Field is home base for Southwest Airlines. Because of the Wright Amendment (old political wheeling and dealing when DFW was being built) all flights out of Love must touch down in neighboring states before continuing elsewhere. On Southwest it's not that big a deal given their remarkably quick turnaround time at the gate.
The info you got about IAH flghts having to connect in DFW is bogus unless you are for some reason restricted to flying American. Either place should work for your travel requirements, though as noted Continental does have an edge with its service to Mexico. The bigger question is about where you want to live - and there's no shortage of opinion in the Houston vs. Dallas discussion! Neither is my first choice, but if forced to choose I'd have to go with Houston. It's larger (thus more options) but while traffic can get thick it is easier to get around in than the legendarily clogged Dallas highways.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM

If your choice of city is based on the airport, find out which airline provides the best coverage of the 11 states in your region. If it is American, live in Dallas. If it is either Southwest or Continental, choose Houston. (The choice of Houston for Southwest because Southwest out of Love can only fly direct to states contiguous to Texas. A long story about deregulation. See http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/wright.html.

Once you pick an airport, then you can search where to live. I would suggest choosing neighborhoods less than a 30 minute drive from the airport. Easy thing to do with IAH or Hobby, and you will be able to find houses within 30 minutes of either airport that are on the water. Don't know about DFW.

If you are married, another consideration is your spouse's profession and ability to find work. If high tech or telecom, choose Dallas. Medical or energy, choose Houston. Both metropolitan areas are experiencing a contraction due to the recession.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

LDLee
Where can you live on the water within 30 mins of the Houston airports?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I thought that info I got about the flights was bogus.

FYI- I don't even feel the need to be within 30 mins of an airport - right now I'm between 45 mins to an hour away from one and it works out great.

I usually only fly out once a week, so a one time hour's commute isn't bad and I always fly out the "night before" any meetings so I am hardly ever in busy traffic. Based on that, any other recommendations regarding places to live or tips for the airports?
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:18 AM

Lake Conroe is the water near IAH. As for Hobby, I assume the referance is to Clear Lake or Galveston. Keep in mind that either of these choices are on the far side of the airports from Houston.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:25 PM

For IAH there is both Lake Houston and Lake Conroe if you want a semi-large body of water. Might consider Kingwood, Walden on Lake Houston, or Walden on Lake Conroe. Also, many of the planned communities north of the airport have lots that overlook manmade lakes that serve as retention ponds. As for Hobby, Clear Lake, LaMarque, Kemah, South Shore Harbor are places to look. Buy a copy of the Houston Chronicle's Sunday edition and look at the home listings.

There are plenty of lakes near Dallas as well.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify, Southwest flies freely out of Houston (Hobby) but not out of IAH.

Southwest flies under limitations from Dallas' Love Field, and not at all from DFW?

Which is the most popular commuter airline out of DFW?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:16 AM

Not sure what you define as a "commuter carrier".If you mean "low fare" there is AirTran between DFW and Atlanta.There is ATA between DFW and Midway/Chicago.Southwest Airlines made a decision long ago NOT to fly in and out of DFW.They could if they wanted to, but they dont.And the "restrictions" they fly out of Loive Field under is the Wright Amendment.A simple concept and if I were you I wouldn't let that figure in my decision.Its not complicated.IMHO
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:26 AM

SWA does fly out of IAH, but it is a limited schedule, mostly feeding into their Dallas Love (DAL) hub I believe. There are many, many more SW flights out of Hobby (HOU). They do not fly to DFW at all.
At DFW, not surprising since it is AA's hub, the biggest commuter airline is American Eagle.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the airline input. It's always nice to know all the options.