Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Contact your reps on Hurricane relief efforts. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/contact-your-reps-on-hurricane-relief-efforts-555941/)

buckeyemom Sep 2nd, 2005 05:24 AM

Contact your reps on Hurricane relief efforts.

Seems like there is alot of venting here going on. For what it's worth, I suggest contacting your senators/congress reps to voice your opinions by either email/phone or letter or the White House. If you are not sure if their contact info do a google search on their names and you will get their home pages with contact info

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Phone Numbers
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
FAX: 202-456-2461
Comments: 202-456-6213

Please send your comments to [email protected].

Vice President Richard Cheney: [email protected]

The Government is "for the people, by the people, of the people" I think "we the people" need to scream loud and clear...

CAPH52 Sep 2nd, 2005 05:26 AM

Great suggestion, buckeyemom!

Laura147 Sep 2nd, 2005 05:28 AM

Has anyone seen Cheney ANYWHERE during this crisis??? Just wondering...

nytraveler Sep 2nd, 2005 07:06 AM

A good suggestion - but when was the last time the shrub listened to anyone about anything? (This is not acceptable? Then get off your idiot behind and do something about it.)

I'm waiting for them to hang the mayor of New Orleans in effigy - or for real. They still have no idea how many people are dead, dying or trapped and the idiot has police chasing looters instead of rescuing people.

Obviously there were no plans made for this emergency - even though they knew days in advance the storm was coming.

Given the fact they the city government simply left the elderly, ill, handicapped and poverty striken to die - rather than make any attempt to evacuate them - I would be first on line to have them charged with negligent homicide.

(I had always heard that the government of New Orleans was incredibly corrupt and incompetent - but I truly believe this level of negligence requires criminal charges.)

Sorry for venting - and I have already done what I could - but since I'm not in charge of the national guard that's limited to future help - not saving lives now - which is what's needed.

Little_Man Sep 2nd, 2005 07:12 AM

Bush should be impeached.

sera Sep 2nd, 2005 07:20 AM

Dick Cheney has been on vacation.

buckeyemom Sep 2nd, 2005 07:21 AM

NY Traveler is right, the local officials should have done more to get people out of there before it hit. Why couldn't they have mobilized the National Guard and went door to door to try and encourage people to leave? Buses should have been ready to take those to poor/sick to shelters away from the city. And some shelters should be designated for people with pets. Alot of people wouldn't leave because of their pets. If you are old, that is your only companion. As I said on another thread, they tried the Super Dome before for evacuation and it failed miserably. And where is the NO city council been? Haven't heard a peep from any of them either. The Police Chief? If something happens in Columbus, Ohio I would count on my local officials first and foremost, then the Governor on up. I would hope that they have the sense to react appropriately and I really believe they would. But, who knows. NO is a very poor city, with a high crime rate. I wonder how many people really vote or can read and know who is running. The poor people and crime rate have been ignored by everyone for years. It's a tragedy all around...